Black beans are inexpensive and they are a powerful superfood!
Black Beans are high in fiber, packed with cancer protecting antioxidants, low in calories, low in fat, high in protein and minerals. And when it comes to the pocketbook, what could be more cost effective? An organic can of black beans is about a dollar, a bag of dried beans is a little over a dollar, and you get a good amount of nutrition for your buck.
Black beans are very versatile. You can make black bean soup, black bean salad, black bean dip, black bean burgers, etc. So, when you are not sure what to make for dinner think black beans. They are easy to make, economical, and nutritional powerhouses. I will be posting a black bean recipe everyday this week. Read the facts below and enjoy!!
6 Powerful Reasons to Eat Black Beans
- Packed with antioxidants.The darker a bean, the greater its antioxidant value, making black beans antioxidant superstars even surpassing the antioxidants in oranges! Studies report that antioxidants help boost our immune systems to help protect against cancer, degenerative disease, and general health.
- Loaded with fiber. In addition, black beans are loaded with fiber which helps rid toxins from building up in your system by keeping your elimination regular.
- Fights Heart disease Just one of many available studies was an impressive 19 year study that followed 10,000 persons ( Archives of Internal Medicine). The study found that high fiber foods like black beans, helps prevent heart disease. Eating at least 21 grams of fiber rich foods a day brought down the risk for heart disease by at least 15 %. A cup of black beans provides about 12 grams of heat healthy fiber.
- Stabilizes Blood sugar Fiber also helps you maintain healthier glucose metabolism, so the high fiber content of black beans can help maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
- Provides lots of Minerals. Black beans are a good source of minerals including iron, magnesium, and folates. If you have Celiac, check with your doctor, you may may be low in minerals due to years of poor absorption. ( especially iron)
- Low in calories and fat- black beans are filling, satisfying and taste great, yet they are low in calories and low in fat. On Weight Watchers, they are considered one of the suggested filling foods.
Fat 1.0 gram
Fiber 12 grams
Protein 14 grams
How about Cuban Black Bean Soup?