Monday, July 12, 2010

Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers

Everyone loves burgers. This is a very tasty vegetarian recipe that I've taking to BBQ's. It doesn't really need to go on the grill since it's already cooked. With a gluten free roll, you can dive right in and have yourself a wonderful meal topped with guacamole or sour cream.  This simple recipe combines two vegetarian favorites, black beans and quinoa.





Easy Black Bean Burgers
2 cups cooked black beans
2/3 cup cooked quinoa ( follow directions on package)
1/4  cup of onion, diced fine
1/4 red or green pepper, diced fine ( optional)
2 Tbsp of capers
1 tsp cumin or more to taste
 red pepper flakes or black pepper to taste

Mix ingredients in large mixing bowl. Make eight medium patties ( or 4 large patties) and place on place on a dinner plate. Chill in refrigerator for about 1/2 hour.
Spray a skillet with olive oil cooking oil spray and saute until browned on each side.

Step by Step

1. Cook quinoa (pronounced keen-wah ) ( buy in supermarket or health food store)  according to package directions and set aside ( about 15 minutes)




2. Put drained cooked beans into a bowl and coarsely mash with a fork
3.   Add cooked quinoa, onions, capers and seasoning to mashed beans and mix well.



beans, quinoa, onions, capers and spices

4. Form into patties and place on plate. Refrigerate for about 1/2 hour
5. Saute in olive oil cooking spray on both sides until lightly browned.

These burgers are delicious and healthy!! Can be frozen..

Top with sauteed onions and mushrooms, Greek tziki dip, red onion slices, eggplant dip from Trader Jo's, ketchup , guacamole, etc.

May be shared on a few of the following blog carnivals
Like my recipes? I post lots more ; Follow me on Pinterest Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter .

Please leave a comment so I can be  introduced to your blog . I will visit you and  I usually follow on G+, Twitter, and Pinterest. I would love if you followed me as well Follow me as well : Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter .


2 comments:

  1. Hi there...wanted to make these tonight. That 2/3 C of quinoa is what it is *before* cooking, right? Ends up being bigger after cooking? Or is the 2/3 cup of completely cooked quinoa, which would mean I start out with less than that? Thanks for asking my (probably dumb) question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,

    Measure the 2/3 cups of quinoa after it is cooked.

    You will need to cook at least 1/2 cup of dry quinoa; when it is done cooking, measure out 2/3 cup.

    Good luck. Hope it turns out well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly