Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Moroccan Carrot Recipe


store full of spices in the spice market
Middle Eastern Spice Market in Istanbul ( our last cruise)

Moroccan Carrots is one of my favorite side dishes; It is exotic, gluten-free, and fast and very simple to make. The first time I ever had this delectable dish was in a Moroccan restaurant, and it was love at first bite.

My husband and cousins at the Moroccan Restaurant

 Recently, my daughter-in law Wendy found a recipe that tastes like the real thing. 
I adapted the recipe to suit our tastes. 

The recipe is really simple, but it's all about the marinade! I serve it as a side dish but in the restaurant it was served as a appetizer as part of a trio with an eggplant dish and humus. They served bread to scoop it up. I brought my own romaine lettuce leaves and scooped away! The restaurant recipe also had a kick to it.. I don't like things hot, so I left out the hot stuff!


Author: Judee Algazi@Gluten Free A-Z Blog
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time:  10 minutes
Serves: 4 side dishes

Ingredients:

10 whole organic carrots, steamed and sliced into bite size pieces

Marinade:
Juice of one large organic lemon
2 cloves of fresh organic garlic, chopped fine
2-3 teaspoons of ground cumin
1 tsp of paprika
1 tsp sea salt
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped fine * ( If you don't like cilantro, use parsley)

Directions: 
Combine the ingredients for the marinade and set aside. ( everything except the cilantro)
Steam your carrots, slice them and pour the marinade over the hot carrots, add the cilantro and serve warm or at room temperature.

Steam Carrots Until Soft  ( cover with lid while steaming)
Set aside

                                                      Combine Ingredients for Marinade

Slice Carrots While Warm


Pour marinade over warm sliced carrots
Refridgerate and allow flavors to mingle 4-6 hours
before serving. Serve it cold..
                                                 May be served hot or cold ( I like it cold) .

The tangy lemony marinade mingles with the sweet carrots and spices to create a memorable side dish that can be enjoyed by those who are gluten free and vegan. The next time you are having company, why not serve this wonderful recipe along with an eggplant appetizer , and Israeli salad?  Have a little wine, some gluten free crackers and you'll have a light but filling Middle Eastern style meal.



13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! This is really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brought up the fixins for this delicious recipe to the Finger Lakes recently. I've enjoyed it previously as a cold dish, but our group enjoyed it as soon as it was prepared. Bright and sweet flavors going on w/this one - it could almost be a dessert - it's that delicious. G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you mentioned this on my blog .. I've been looking for a recipe for morroccan carrots like the one at our fav. indian style restaraunt. I think this one will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make a very similar dish - one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing.. YUM.. Great recipe.. I'm stopping in from Blessed with Grace and I would LOVE for you to please share this recipe via my Three Weeks Of Thanks Linky party please.. http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/11/thankful-for-food.html - TY.. Wishing you an awesome Tuesday.. ~M

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! this looks delicious. love the flavors of the middle east. I recently decided to try a GF diet so I'm thrilled to have found your blog through Tasty Tuesdays!
    I'm following now!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks good! New follower! Visit me at http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is super yummy too:) I love how you spiced up such a simple food! Btw...I'm a new follower:)
    -Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks so yummy!!

    -Brooke
    blushboutiquestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds delicious! I have made and enjoyed a raw grated carrot salad flavored like this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds delicious Judee, and I'm looking forward to giving it a try. A perfect side or aoppetizer.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly