Monday, August 2, 2010

Corn Muffins: Spicy Mexican or Carrot Raisin

Gluten Free Corn Muffins
 I am always on the lookout for fast and easy gluten free baking recipes that use " normal" ingredients.

Personally, I shy away from recipes with with a long list of ingredients that are hard to find .

I found a good cranberry corn muffin recipe on a great blog called, Wheatless and Meatless Blog .  I played around with the basic recipe and changed it to suit my needs.

I decided to make these corn muffins because the recipe is usually fast, easy and simple.
However, I make it two ways; Savory or Sweet

The savory version is my Mexican Corn Muffins which are a little spicy!
The sweet version is my carrot raisin/cranberry muffins which are moist and sweet.
I use the same basic batter, but the add ins are different.

I get my corn flour from a quaint little Mexican grocery store in New Hope, Pa. It sells authentic Mexican corn flour for a very nominal price. My corn meal is from the local supermarket.

The recipe only takes about 5 minutes to assemble and just 15 minutes to bake.
It can be whipped up anytime you are in the mood for nice warm healthy muffins.

Corn meal adds variety and nutrients to a gluten free diet.

Carrot and Raisin Corn Muffins
1 1/2 cups of corn flour ( see brand below)
1/2 cup of corn meal
1 tsp  baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup raw grated carrots, squeeze out liquid
1/2 cup of raisins or dried cranberries
2 eggs
1 cup of vanilla coconut milk  ( sold cold in the supermarket in the refrigerator case with the milk. soymilk, almondmilk etc.)
(or use 1 regular cup milk, 1/4 cup honey, 1 tsp of GF vanilla)
Full 1/4 cup melted butter or olive oil.

Mix all dry ingredients:
corn flour, corn meal, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl, then add raisins.
Wet and dry ingredients

In a small bowl beat eggs, coconut milk, ( milk, honey & GF vanilla) melted butter or oil, then add grated carrots

Add wet mixture gradually to dry mixture and stir until smooth.
Put into greased muffin tins and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until top and bottom are browned.
Corn muffins tend to be dry, so warm them up and enjoy with butter or jam...







Savory Mexican Corn Muffins

1 1/2 cups corn flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 cup milk ( any kind you prefer- almond, coconut, soy, cow)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup melted butter, olive oil, or coconut oil
1/2 cup grated sharp pepper jack cheese or white cheddar and add fresh jalapeno pepper to taste


Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl: corn flour, corn meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside
Mix eggs, milk, melted butter or olive oil with a fork in a small bowl  and then add grated cheese.
Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients and pour into greased muffin tins.
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until the tops are browned.

Kathernine Martinelli

Your comments inspire me ; please scroll down to comments, click and leave one so I know you stopped by.

1 comment:

  1. Your muffins look delicious~ Thanks for sharing them with us at The Four Seasons Blog Hop~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly