Monday, October 11, 2010

GF Banana Pumpkin Loaf with Coconut Flour

Banana pumpkin loaf with coconut flour




This Banana Pumpkin Bread made is with coconut flour....don't have coconut flour? ..
 It is available at any health food store, and you have to try it. It makes a really special silky delicious loaf.


Recipe calls for coooked pumpkin or buy a can of organic               
I have been reading quite a few gluten free blogs who use coconut flour in their baking. I finally broke down and picked some up at the health food store. I tried my first recipe with it, and I must say I was more than delighted. 

The banana pumpkin bread came out a deep golden color, with a silky smooth texture, and was moist and creamy.  The recipe is egg free, milk free, and nut free. 
It tastes great just sliced, or toasted and topped with a little cinnamon and butter.  

Is it healthy? you bet! 

  •  Coconut flour is very high in fiber providing double the fiber of whole wheat flour and five times the amount of brown rice flour.  
  • According to an article in Natural News " Coconut flour also contains the fats that made coconut oil famous: medium chain triglycerides. These protective fats are antiviral, antimicrobial and antifungal. As an added bonus, medium chain triglycerides have also been shown to boost the metabolism."
  • The recipe also contains bananas, pumpkin and raisins which add vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. If you want the loaf less sweet, you can leave out the pure maple syrup.

I also noticed that this quick bread is filling. Most likely it is the high fiber content of the coconut flour that keeps you full.  So, fiber, boost to metabolism, vitamins and minerals, filling, and great taste- This recipe is a winner in my book.

Have a slice or two for breakfast with a nice relaxing cup of herbal tea.... 

Ingredients
1 and 1/2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup of lite organic coconut milk ( the kind from the can works really well. or use the coconut milk from the refrigerator case) or you can use regular milk if you prefer
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup cooked  pureed pumpkin
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup raisins( or chocolate chips optional )
1 cup organic coconut flour
3/4  cup ( non GMO)  organic corn flour ( or 1/2 cup corn flour and 1/4 cup corn meal for grittiness) or you can substitute another gluten free flour.
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp of baking powder ( gluten free)
2-3 tsp cinnamon 

Directions
Mix wet ingredients in one bowl
Mix dry ingredients in another larger bowl.
Mix wet into dry ingredients mixing until smooth and creamy.
Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes-
the top starts to get lines and look cracked like in picture
(for muffins: about 20 minutes)

*** I use Rumford Baking Powder which is gluten free and aluminum free
**   The batter will be thick and won't rise alot,  but is still delicious

Step by Step With Pictures
Assemble Ingredients

Add Wet Ingredients Into the Dry and Mix Until Smooth


Bake In A Loaf Baking Pan (  I made three of these little ones)

The Recipe Makes Two of These Small  Bread Loaves  
Very moist and tasty. 



Don't have a loaf pan? Make 20 muffins.. it works just as well.



                                       Great for a quick healthy breakfast on the go ...




If you like making gluten free and grain free recipes check out this 
20 recipe grain free round up for crepes, muffins, bread, pancakes, etc. 




This recipe may be shared on Some of


 these blog carnivals and 










16 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! I'm very new to GF cooking... Is it possible to substitute another flour for the corn flour? Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you can substitute a different flour for the corn flour. I would use a blended gluten free flour mix. If you experiment, let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking this to My Meatless Mondays. This is one of those recipes that is calling my name. You put in all my favorite ingredients. I hope, I can find time to make this, soon.

    My hubby is the gluten free member of the family but I love eating the food, I make for him. This sounds like one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The girls and I just made these - they are super yummy! We used regular wheat flour instead of corn flour b/c I have to keep Elyana on gluten right now. I didn't make the muffins so full so I could also make some mini muffins that I freeze and then pop in their lunch boxes for school. And of course we have to use some enjoy life chocolate chips in them. Yum!!! Thanks for the great recipe. I also love the idea of eating one for b'fast on the run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judee! I couldn't find your e-mail to reply to your question about my bread so I'm sorry to do it here. If you look at my first No-Knead post, I talked about a book by the "5 Minute Artisan Bread" authors called "Healthy Bread In 5 minutes". Here's the link to Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Bread-Five-Minutes-Day/dp/0312545525/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285287079&sr=8-2

    They feature gluten free recipes. Hope this helps! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your response about the bread question. I appreciate you finding my blog to answer.

      Delete
  6. Meant to also say this is a really neat recipe, especially for the fall... love seasonal recipes that really help you enjoy that time of year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving your blog! I'm also a gf'er and love finding others like myself :)

    Also- Wanted to invite you to share this recipe at a weekly event I host titled Seasonal Sundays (this recipe is quite theme fitting!)

    Happy Sunday!
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittany,
      Nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by and commenting about my blog. I'm excited to visit you on Seasonal Sundays.

      Delete
  8. Brittany,
    Thanks for your comments and introducing me to your Seasonal Sunday. For sure I will be by and link a recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks absolutely delicious & I also love coconut flour and use it frequently. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays blog hop. Have a healthy happy weekend! Will pin & twitt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut flour seems to be the way to go for gf and grain free recipes.. They come out so delicious but you have to make sure to use extra liquid

      Delete
  10. I had no idea coconut flour even existed! But now I can't wait to try it. There's a health food store nearby...I'll have to check to see if they have it. This banana pumpkin bread sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing it with us at Foodie Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks and sounds really good. I bought some coconut flour, but have not used it yet this would be a great recipe to try with it. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Judee! I like the idea of adding pumpkin to banana bread to celebrate fall. Fun twist!
    Thank you for sharing with See Ya in the Gumbo this week.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly