Monday, November 22, 2010

Chocolate Cake in a Mug ( gluten free)



Are you looking for a dessert that is  really fast and easy to make? This recipe is so FAST and easy it is ridiculous. It is a perfect solution for the times when you can't pick up a gluten free or allergy free dessert. It literally takes 2 minutes of prep and 3 and minutes to bake in the microwave. The result produces an incredible extremely moist mini portion of chocolate heaven. If you are not gluten free, you can make it with regular cake flour ( not self rising).

Nothing could be faster than this little sinfully delicious chocolate cake that you microwave right in the mug. It makes one very big overly generous portion or is enough for two or three normal eaters.( This cake is very chocolaty and dense) However, you can  make a chocolate cake, banana cake, applesauce cake or carrot cake. You name it, and you can be as creative as you like right there in your mug because the recipe is adaptable.

You can add cinnamon and sugar before baking, add chocolate chips or walnuts, omit the cocoa or top with whipped cream and raspberries after baking. No matter what you decide, this recipe is just plain fun to make. And it is a great activity to do with kids.

It is hard to believe that you can  bake a delicious mini cake in only 3 minutes in the microwave. I don't usually like to use the microwave, but I figure 3 minutes.. what the heck
It can be made without eggs,  milk, or  nuts! It can be made allergy free and is absolutely delicious.

My cousin Madelyn told me about her friend who just found out that her young son is allergic to eggs. Never having baked without eggs , her friend wanted to find some easy eggless baking recipes. When I came across this one, the first person I thought of was Madelyn. So, Madelyn, this recipe is for your friend.  The second person I thought of was my friend Elise, who bakes allergy free for her girls.. so enjoy ...It can't get much easier than this.

Ingredients for microwave chocolate cake in a mug ( Scroll down for other cakes)

4 Tablespoons coconut flour ( or if you are not gluten free use regular cake flour but not self rising)
1 Tablespoon sugar ( or more if you like it sweet) or substitute 2 T maple syrup
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 banana, mashed
3 Tablespoons lite coconut milk ( or any milk or milk substitute)
1 Tablespoon olive oil ( or any oil)
2 Tablespoons chocolate chips
1 Microwave safe mug
Instructions:

Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon and cocoa in a mug
Add mashed banana and mix well
Add lite coconut milk and olive oil and mix well
Mix in chocolate chips
Put in microwave for 3 minutes on maximum power (1000watt)
Remove from microwave and set mug on plate to cool for about 5 minutes
Tip contents out of mug onto saucer and enjoy ( with whipped cream )

***Results can vary depending on the strength of your microwave. You may have to experiment with the time.It is a moist cake so it won't become real dry. .
(If you are not gluten free and  don’t have any cake flour handy, use 3 1/2 tbsp of flour and 1/2 tbsp corn starch..)
 Pictures



Assemble Ingredients

Mix ingredients in a mug according to directions


Microwave in mug for 3 minutes and allow to cool for a few minutes



I made a few varieties
______________________________________________________________
NOT Gluten Free? : If you are not gluten free and have no allergy concerns, here is the original recipe
Original Recipe before I modified it to be gluten free and allergy free
4T cake flour ( not self rising)
2 T sugar ( or more if you like it sweet)
2 T cocoa
1 egg
3 T milk
3 T oil
splash of vanilla
3 T choc chips
Add dry ingredients to microwavable mug and  mix well with fork. Add egg and mix well. Pour in milk, oil, and vanilla and chips. Mix well and put mug in microwave for 3 minutes. Remove , allow to cool a little, and tip onto plate .
_______________________________________________________________________________
May be shared on a few of the following blog carnivals
Like my recipes? I post lots more ; Follow me on Pinterest Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter .

Please leave a comment so I can be  introduced to your blog . I will visit you and  I usually follow on G+, Twitter, and Pinterest. I would love if you followed me as well Follow me as well : Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter .

14 comments:

  1. I love coconut flour! In fact, I'm a huge fan of gluten-free microwave mug cakes. Please check my site, www.microwavemugcakes.com, for a Blackberry Muffin Microwave Mug Cake recipe that's called from my new book, "101 Recipes for Gluten-Free Microwave Mug Cakes."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy,
    Thanks for stopping by. This is my first experience with cake in a mug and I am sold. I checked out your link, and I can't wait to get my hands on your new gluten free mugcake book. I'll be making the blackberry muffin recipe before you know it! Thanks for leaving a comment and sharing your news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable. Definitely something I will do with my girls over the holidays. I try to do one really fun/different thing with them each day of Dec, and this is going on the list!
    My older daughter wanted to make a Yule Log cake this year, and I'm not sure with our dietary restrictions that I can pull off a rolled cake, but these would work for that too!

    :) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 minutes?!?!? That's nearly worth buying a microwave!
    This is perfect for those intense spur-of-the-moment cravings!


    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aipi,

    Yes, they are dangerously easy. A delicious cake that can be made in 3 minutes.. After experimenting more, I do like to add 2 T oil instead of one. It is a lot moister.
    Thanks for leaving a comment, it gave me an opportunity to look at your blog and I found some wonderful recipes. I Will be visiting again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun it would be to eat these "hot chocolate" cakes right out of their mugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it doesn't get much easier than that!

    Mister is a dessert fanatic. He believes dessert is an essential part of every meal and must have it every night.

    There are some days I am just too damn busy to get a dessert made for the man. I think you have just saved my sanity!

    There's nothing worse than a pouty little boy {grown man} who has to go to bed without his dessert.

    Bookmarking this.

    Thanks for sharing it with Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays.

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many recipes are so interesting. Must start to try them after the first of the year....
    Great visit with you and thanks for showing me how to enjoy fabulous recipes and information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the recipe and I will be sharing with 2 friends that their kids have allergies. I think Jared will love it as well. It will be a fun dessert for him to make and eat!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds great! A 3 minute cook time for a last minute indulgence sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Raj,
    Thanks for stopping by. I hope you get to try the cake in a mug recipe. It is really quick and really good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks fantastic... I can't wait to try it. I am wondering, though... I'm not a fan of bananas. Is there anything I can substitute for the banana? More coconut milk, maybe? Or maybe applesauce? Thank you!

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeanne,
    You can substitute an egg instead of the banana. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good Luck . Make sure you follow the steps in order.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was entirely
    right. This put up truly made my day. You can not consider just how much
    time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

    Review my website acoustic guitar a chord

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly