Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Wendy's Crunchy and Creamy Vegetable Balls

 These vegetable balls are roasted. I intentionally didn't put the name of the vegetable in the title because to tell the truth, if I titled this post Fresh Brussels sprouts on a stalk
Crunchy and Creamy Brussels Sprouts would you have even continued to read it?
Ninety percent of the people I talk to say, " I really don't care for Brussels Sprouts" and I understand, because I felt the same way too. BUT, Wendy's Roasted Brussels Sprouts are crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside. I have never had a Brussels Sprout that I liked  before making them this way. They taste great! Read on.....

           Add carrots to it before baking!
Roasted brussels sprouts

roasted brussels sprouts


The USDA recommends that everyone eat at least 7-13 fruits and vegetables a day to obtain the necessary phytochemicals to be protected from certain diseases. I have always eaten my share of vegetables, but I always drew the line with Brussels Sprouts.

Truthfully, I never really liked them; ok as I kid, I loathed them. They seemed overcooked, smelly, and unappealing. Over the years, I just never bought them, and I always avoided them if they happened to be served at anyone's home. I could never imagine why anyone would buy Brussels Sprouts. That was until yesterday. 

Yesterday, when walking down the produce isle, I saw a large beautiful prolific stalk of farm fresh Brussels Sprouts boasting 30-40 tiny bite size cabbages. It was different and intriguing and  in a whim, I thought, 
 " Why Not ? "


So, there I was making room in my cart for this over sized piece of locally grown produce. I figured I look up a recipe on the Internet and find someway to eat them. When I got home, my daughter in law came over and commented on how interesting the fresh Brussels sprouts looked on the stalk, and then she said she had a great recipe for them.

Wendy's recipe turned out to be simple, appealing, and amazingly delicious!
It is a great side dish for any entree.
Are Brussels Sprouts really healthy? You bet!
Low in calories, high in fiber, rich in vitamins and lots of protective antioxidants..

Wendy's Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients:
15-20 fresh Brussels Sprouts
1 large baggie type plastic Ziploc bag
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Any spice or herb you might like (optional)
1/2 fresh lemon or lime to squeeze over vegetables when serving( optional)

Directions:
Place Brussels Sprouts in the large baggie type plastic bag. Add enough oil to coat the vegetables. Add salt and pepper ( and other optional herbs) to taste. Shake the bag until all Brussels Sprouts are coated well.
Remove from the bag and place them on a cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes or until Brussels Sprouts begin to get crunchy looking. Remove from oven and serve.

Step by Step Pictures


Another picture of the stalk of sprouts or you can buy them already in a pint size container in the produce isle

After Shaking the Brussels Sprouts in the bag with the oil and seasonings,  place them on a baking sheet

Bake at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes until they begin to look crunchy



Transfer to a serving dish and eat ( sprinkle with fresh lemon juice if desired)

That's it! Simple but Delicious

     What say you about Brussels Sprouts?? Please leave a comment

             I will be sharing this every day on the daily blog parties on  
    My blog carnival list


15 comments:

  1. At a shopping mall here in our town, we also have vegetable balls but they're covered with chicken, beef-flavored powder. It's called Takuyaki. They're just simply delicious! And the sauce is lip-smacking!

    Healthyrecipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like brussel sprouts in our house, and my son absolutely loves them. Your recipe sounds wonderful, and it is lovely to have another way to cook these super nutrition powerhouses. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you and the other 99% of the population avoiding brussel sprouts. I think I've only eaten them once and they were prepared poorly. They just have such a bad rap that I've never thought to try them again.

    This crunchy/creamy version might tempt me though. It's the overcooked mushiness I've really been avoiding.

    And you're right about the title. I probably wouldn't have clicked over had it said Brussel Sprouts!

    Thanks for linking to Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays!

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  4. I blogged about how surprised I was to actually finally like brussels sprouts a few weeks ago! It's funny how our tastes change. Roasting is the way to go! really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying new recipes for a number of years and have yet to come up with one that the family likes. I'm glad you found one that works for you. It probably helps having small Brussels sprouts rather than larger ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually adore brussel sprouts but I always do just the dorky boring steamed version. I have to try yours. It looks much better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello, i found your post on fight back friday. i never knew that brussel sprouts grow on stalks. i'm looking forward to finding some fresh ones and trying wendy's recipe. thank you so much for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We usually steam our sprouts, but this is something I MUST try soon.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is perfect for me and hopefully the family. I love brussel sprouts and the way you describe them, sounds even better than how I make them. I have to print this up now and give it a try.

    Thanks for linking this to Let's Do Lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankyou for sharing - nobody within my family and greater family likes brussel sprouts! I will try them this way - they look good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! Thanks for the recipe! I wanted sprouts on Thanksgiving and this is the recipe for them. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have SO inspired me! I love all sorts of vegetables that I hated growing up as a child. Fresh spinach? Yes, please. However, that sense of adventure had not applied to brussel sprouts until this moment. Is there a reason no one ever mentioned to me that they are really miniature cabbages? L.O.V.E. cabbage, but these will be a hit prepared like this.
    Thank you so much!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. what would you suggest as the amount for the oil. Would appreciate a response. Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy,
      I would use a minimum of 1/4 cup olive plus some olive oil spray or up to 1/2 cup if you are comfortable..The oil makes it crunchy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside.. Don't overcook- check it frequently!

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly