Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Red and Orange Holiday Coleslaw



This coleslaw is so beautiful and healthy. It is made from red/purple cabbage and orange carrots. For the greatest health benefits, we are told to eat a rainbow of colors in our fruits and vegetables every day. Every  color provides  different health benefits. The red, purple, and blue colors are especially powerful antioxidants.  I love to serve this beautiful salad for the holidays . It's so easy to make, light and healthy, and balances some of the richer heavier food. 

I try to include some raw foods at every meal. Raw food is the only food that provides fresh enzymes to help maintain a good digestive system. One of my favorite raw side dishes is this easy colorful coleslaw. ( I use the processor for quick and easy preparation) and make a fresh lemon vinaigrette style dressing

The color combination is spectacular, and the organic carrots give it a sweet flavor. Red cabbage contains more nutrients than green, and is one of the antioxidant super foods that is toted to be help protect against degenerative diseases. In addition, it is packed with vitamins and minerals. Combined with carrots, this vegetable slaw offers a powerful healthy raw salad that is a delicious addition to any meal. I make a big bowl and we eat it a few nights in a row. Sometimes, I use red and green cabbage or just the red.

 This eye appealing dish is easy to make. Simply use the grater in your food processor and alternate chunks of red cabbage and organic carrots. ( or use a hand grater)  Pour into a large bowl,  add a lemon and olive oil dressing if desired. ( I happen to like it plain and undressed too)

Ingredients:
1/2 large head of  red cabbage, cut into processor sized chunks
6 large organic carrots

Directions
Using the grating blade of a food processor, process red cabbage chunks
Add organic carrots
Pour into a large bowl and mix.

Dressing ( optional)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/ 2 cup olive oil
Parley, salt,  and pepper to taste

Pour over the cabbage slaw if desired and toss well,  or eat it plain without dressing. Either way, it is delicious.

Step by Step Pictures
Assemble, wash,  and cut cabbage and carrots


Grate carrots and cabbage in the food processor

Pour into a large bowl and toss





Here's another colorful, yet healthy holiday party idea!



                                                Add lemon, olive oil, and parsley dressing if desired

I used some white cabbage also.

So glad you stopped by- so leave me a comment- Did you like this post? I wanna know!


This recipe is linked on the following blogs carnivals: 



14 comments:

  1. Looking good! Unfortunately My small food processor doesn't do any grating so I'd have to do it all by hand... :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done it by hand and it still is good and not too labor intensive. I just made less.

      Delete
  2. Judee - The raw veggie platter looks absolutely beautiful and delicious. Love coleslaw as well - great ideas to bring to the table. The photos help cooks everywhere visualize the process so well! Gail W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear that olive oil works in cole slaw. I recent made this recipe http://foreignperspective.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/spectacular-overnight-slaw/ and hated the fact that it had vegetable oil. I wondered if olive oil would clash with all the flavors. sounds like it worked well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coleslaw, and this one sounds great. I can't wait to try it out soon for a spring picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will taste great and colorful for spring.. enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely recipe! I too love raw foods, though I've been cooking them a lot lately... oops. Beautiful colors. Thanks so much for linking up to Friday Potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm like you I like to present a raw vegetable with my meals. Your Red and Orange Coleslaw looks very good. Thank you so much for sharing at Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so beautiful, and one of my daughters loves coleslaw. I'm going to suggest this idea of red cabbage. So glad you linked to Food on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for posting this to What's On the Menu Wednesday. I hope to see you back again this week. The link will be up later this evening:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, That is a tasty, colorful lovely looking slaw. Thanks so much for sharing it with Grain Free Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for this recipe. I will be making this one today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good post. You might be interested in a spicy and crunchy cole slaw I made http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/spicy-crunchy-coleslaw.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's one of the prettiest cole slaws I've seen. Great recipe!

    Thanks for linking up to Thank Your Body Thursday! Hope you'll come back this week and share some more great posts! www.thankyourbody.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly