The key to the fabulous taste of this gluten free watermelon smoothie is frozen watermelon.
All you need to do is cut up some watermelon into cubes, pop them in the freezer overnight and use it whenever you need a really refreshing drink!
Truthfully, it is refreshing just to eat some frozen watermelon cubes right from the freezer .
However, drinking frozen watermelon in a smoothie is amazing!
Let me tell you why I started making these smoothies!
A few days ago, I opened all our upstairs windows and sat down at my computer to enjoy the beautiful May breeze. About an hour later, my mood began to change. The warm May breeze started to become warmer and warmer. In a short time, I found myself hot, sticky, very overheated and uncomfortable.
I was visiting the blog Healthy, Happy, Life. ( love that blog) and saw Kathy's Watermelon Frosty!
Do you know how good her Watermelon Frosty looked to me at that moment when I was dripping from the heat and humidity? I wanted an entire pitcher full.
I wanted to make some right then and there, but I didn't have any frozen watermelon!
However, I did have a watermelon! Unfortunately , I had to wait until it froze solid ( the next day).
Let's face it. Who would have ever thought to freeze watermelon?
Well, I proceeded to cut up watermelon, placed the cubes in baggies, and froze them. Yes, it was that simple. ( See freezing suggestions at the end of this post )
Today, I am prepared for the heat.. It is still oppressively hot, but I have a few baggies full of frozen watermelon in my freezer.
Watermelon is also good for you. It has virtually no fat, a cup has only 48 calories, and it is a rich source of vitamins. In addition, watermelon contains lycopene, an antioxidant that fights free radicals in the body. Watermelon contains more lycopene than any other fruit or vegetable including tomatoes. The rich lycopene may be especially good for those with prostate problems ( ask your doctor first)
So, next time you have watermelon left over, cut it up and freeze it
3 Ways to Use Frozen Watermelon :
- Eat it plain right from the freezer - yum! It's like frozen ices
- Use it as ice cubes in a pitcher of water to flavor the water and keep water cold
- Mix in any type of smoothie
3 cups of frozen watermelon
1 cup cold watermelon juice that was created as I scooped the watermelon ( or water)
Raw Agave syrup, Maple syrup or any sweetener of your choice to taste
Juice of 1/2 large lime
1 large banana
Blend all ingredients in Vitamix, Nutribullet, or in a strong blender.
Serve immediately with a wedge of lime.
1. Cut the watermelon in small chunks and freeze on a cookie sheet so it doesn't all stick together. Then throw it into baggies when frozen. ( about 8 hours) . Otherwise it may freeze in one large clump and that could be very hard on your blender. Melon balls are cute too.
2. When cutting the watermelon, reserve the watermelon juice in a jar and keep it in the refrigerator overnight. ( you can also just use water)
3. Don't skip the banana. The first time I made the smoothie, I did ( skip the banana) and then I added it back in. The banana really adds something to the drink.
4. Add some rum if you desire. This makes one refreshing and delicious coctail for a party!
This recipe is raw, vegan, dairy free, and gluten free.
I love to read your comments and be introduced to your blog. I usually visit and follow on G+ , twitter, etc.
I would love for you to follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and G+ or even follow my blog. I post many more recipes *To see the many other healthy gluten free recipes, healthy living tips, kitchen and blogging ideas that I pin or tweet each day, follow me on Pinterest Gluten Free A-Z and Twitter .
To leave a comment, scroll down to the green box at the end of this post and click on comments.