Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Stuffed Pepper Appetiser


This is a raw stuffed pepper appetizer. It's like eating your crudite and dip in one bite. 
If you are trying to eat the recommended 5-9 fruits or vegetables a day for a healthy supply of antioxidants, this recipe will give you a full day's supply! 

The filling contains celery, carrots, fresh parsley, fresh lemon juice, fresh cilantro, raw walnuts, raw cashews, blended and then stuffed into a mini red pepper. And then its topped with a fresh salsa made from sun dried tomatoes, sweet yellow tomatoes, soaked raisins, and fresh basil. Talk about antioxidants!

It is a healthy recipe made from all raw foods. It is delightfully seasoned and very satisfying. It is so healthy, its hard to believe how tasty it is.

The mini peppers are totally sweet and are available in a bag, with a combination of red, orange, and yellow peppers. They are colorful, cute, sweet and appealing. In addition, if you don't use all the filling to stuff the peppers ( it makes a lot) , the filling is a great dip on its own to eat with crudites or corn chips!

When I finished stuffing the peppers for this post, I put some of the filling in a bowl with some chips for my husband, and he just about licked the bowl clean.

*** I purchased the walnuts and cashews at Trader Joe's which tends to be a little more reasonable.

I got a bag of these sweet mini peppers at BJ's; However, Trader Joe's and most supermarkets have them too.

Aren't they cute?
                                     Wash, cut off tops and slice in half lenghtwise.


Ingredients for filling
1/2 cup raw walnuts, soaked at least 4 hours and drained well
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 4 hours and drained well
1/ 4 cup fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 med carrot, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
Juice of 1 large lemon
1/2 cup water
Seasoning: I used four good shakes of Trader Joe's 21 Salute ( a no salt spice mix)
otherwise: garlic powder, onion powder, or onion flakes, pepper, salt, cayenne, or any spice you like.



Place all of the ingredients in a Vitamix or strong blender or food processor. Mix until well blended. Taste and add extra spices if desired.
Spoon filling into the cavities of each pepper half and set aside while you make the salsa

                   Assemble peppers . Fill each 1/2 mini pepper with the nut and vegetable filling,

 
           Top each pepper with a spoon of my fresh  sundried tomato salsa recipe Serve as appetizer.

                   Eat immediately or refrigerate for about 2 hours. I think it tastes best the next day!







25 comments:

  1. Wow, depending on the size of those peppers, that could be my lunch! I'd love to try that with smaller roasted peppers, maybe even hot peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stuffed peppers, and these look and sound delicious! I have copied the recipe to try it. Thanks for sharing it.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower. I am following your blog, too.

    Jane
    frugalfineliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judee. Thank you for leaving the kindest comment and for following me. I have tried folowing you back, but blogger wont let me. Followers on your page is blank. Any ideas? I will try back later, but will definitely follow you. Thank you for the invite! Beautiful pictures, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my these would be a great appetizer for any party or leading up to a great meal thanks for sharing come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make stuffed peppers in Greece and I love them too. These ones look absolutely delicious! Thanks for following I followed back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colorful presentation, looks wonderful! Thanks for stopping by Savoring Today, it was great to browse your site too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just PACKED with nutrition. My kids love those mini peppers (I get them at Costco) and will eat them no matter what I do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look phenomenal!

    Thanks so much for dropping by the Be-Bop-A Blog Hop! I'm a follower and I hope you'll stop by again soon! Have a great day! :)

    http://www.mommylivingthelifeofriley.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Following from Welcome Wednesday.... would love to have you follow back. :)

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I found ya through the Wednesday hop. Hope you'll come visit me and follow me back at:

    http://mommychosis@blogspot.com

    I'm going to forward your blog addy to my friend who is on a gluten free diet--I'm sure she'll love your blog :)

    Happy Wednesday,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,
    I found you on the Welcome Wed. Blog Hop. I'm your new follower. Please follow me @ http://westvistaurbanfarmschool.blogspot.com/
    Gluten free is the way to go for me and I look forward to more recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum! I would eat all of these at a party :) I hadn't seen TJs 21 salute, but I'm definitely going to look out for it when I go there next. Did I say yum yet?

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are really really cute appetizer! Great for gathering! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum! Those look so good! What a healthy appetizer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a friend that eats raw, but comes up with the most amazing concoctions. Now I have an idea of what some of her secrets are! This looks delicious.

    -Krista
    www.thebeetreporter.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! A really good idea.

    - Michelle
    @ The Adirondack Chick

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look wonderful! Thanks for linking up to Friday Potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We just love stuffed peppers and your recipe looks awesome! Great recipe! Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it when delicious is nutritious too! Your stuffed peppers are fantastic - and it's great that the filling makes such a tasty dip too. Thank you for sharing this post with Let's Do Brunch. Hope you will come by and link up another tasty recipe again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've noticed the cute little peppers at the store but never knew what to do with them. This is a great idea! Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mrs. Ed,
    These cute little pepper are good for stuffing appetisers, but they are so sweet and tender, they are perfect to just bite into, eat, and throw away the top!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This recipe looks fantastic!! I live stuffed peppers so an appetizer version is right up my alley!! My sisters and I just started our first themed blog hop over at http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com every Sunday!. This weeks theme is appetizers. We would love for you to come over and share these or any of your favorite appetizer recipes with our blog readers. Have a great weekend.
    Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  23. The little peppers are so cute! These look like the perfect appetizer. Thanks again for linking up to my pepper blog hop! Pinned :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Judee, I LOVE this recipe!! Nut pates are so delicious and so easy to make. I love the stuffed peppers idea and topped with salsa they must taste amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe at Raw Foods Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This recipe looks super awesome, but did you mean to misspell APPETIZER

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly