Monday, May 16, 2011

Spinach Vegetable Soup



This recipe calls for baby spinach, which gives the soup a unique flavor and it's darker hue. It's full of healthy vegetables, has an incredible flavor, and is relatively easy to make. I got the recipe from my friend Paula who is a wonderful and versatile cook. She cooks for her daughter who is a vegetarian and her son and husband who are both gluten free. I've had some absolutely fabulous meals at her home. One of my favorites is this Wilted Spinach Vegetable Soup.
Prep and cook time combined:  35 minutes

Ingredients:
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
3 cloves garlic, diced
2 med onions, diced
1 pound carrots, sliced
1 whole celery, diced
4 cloves of garlic , diced
1 med-large yellow squash
1 med- large green squash
1 pkg mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup olive oil for sauteing
1 bag fresh baby spinach, washed
10 cups of vegetable broth

Saute tomatoes, onions and first 3 cloves of garlic in a T of olive oil in a large skillet on a low flame until the three ingredients mingle nicely and onions are a little soft. Add all the chopped vegetables except for the spinach and slowly saute in olive oil  until tender. Add the vegetable broth to the vegetables bring to a boil, turn down the heat to a simmer. Simmer until all the vegetables are soft. Turn off heat , add spinach, cover and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes before serving. Taste and add additional salt, pepper or spices if desired ( it will depend on the broth that you used)

Pictorial Step by Step
I have to apologize a few of the pictures are dark and didn't come out as well as I would have liked.



I love your comments; Please leave one
To leave a comment, scroll down to the green box and click on comment
This recipe has been posted on the following blog carnivals:

Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Just another meatless MondayMonday Mania, , Vegan MondayMy Sweet and Savory ,Mangia Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday,  Grain Free Tuesday,  Tuesday At The Table,  Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday, Made From Scratch Tuesday, Recipes I can't wait to try. Gluten Free Wednesday,  Welcome Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday,
Hearth and Soul Hop,  Potluck Sunday Your recipe, my kitchen,  Fight Back Friday, Cooking Thursdays, Seasonal Sunday, Cooking Wednesday,    Sugar Free SundayLisa's Gluten-Free Advice and Healthy Living, Thursday Ultimate Recipe  Garden Variety Wednesday, The Blog Entourage Full Plate Thursdays  Gold Star Wednesday,Food on Fridays”, La Bella Vita , Saturday Swap,
Homemaker Monday Midnight Maniac  ,Friday Potluck.Thursday Ultimate Recipe ,It's a Keeper Thursdays
Thrilling Thursday,

10 comments:

  1. This soup looks delicious and so healthy! Perfect for a rainy day like today! :)

    Thanks for linking it to Melt in Your Mouth Monday! Now I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never tried spinach soup! Yours really temping... I must try making it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. muminWhat a glorious soup with all those vegetables. Thanks for linking it to My Meatless Mondays,

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you linking this soup recipe to Sundays at One Food Club. It sounds so delicious. I am not on a gluten free diet but really have started enjoying this type of recipe.

    Maria
    Cocina Diary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by my blog! I am following you too and can't wait to read more recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love soup. I eat it all year round! Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower. Come over to Greetings From the Asylum and follow me too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a delicious soup and I am keeping it in my file for the next time I need a great soup. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sometimes we just want to make a great soup and this one is going in my recipe book to try next come check me out at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect light soup for the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, yum, this looks tasty, thanks for adding it to our Grain-Free Tuesday party.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly