Friday, August 19, 2011

Jersey Corn and Tomato Salad



Got fresh corn on the cob?  

Don't cook it! Use the kernals raw in this amazing summer salad! 

Why not make my aromatic fast and easy corn and tomato salad for dinner tonight!

Just cut the uncooked sweet corn kernels off the cob, chop up some juicy summer tomatoes, add some fresh basil, fresh parsley, fresh mint, red onion, as well as my simple dressing and dig right in. 
You can enjoy the best of summer all in one bowl.

Child, Annual, Corn, Health, Kid, Boy
This is not me!!

This delicious salad brings back childhood memories
I grew up in the Garden State (New Jersey) where local farms provided an abundance of vine-ripened Jersey tomatoes and local sweet Jersey corn. We had three local farm stands within a mile of my house. Tomatoes grew so prolifically that in a good season, the farmers would sell 20-pound baskets of tomatoes for just $5 (of course that was a long time ago in the early 1960s).
 This salad was one of my favorite ways to enjoy the seasonal bounty. 

Corn, Corn On The Cob, Piston, Young

Although I now live across the river in Bucks County, Pa, the same type of produce is still available from local farms. In fact,  I just got back from a local farmer's market with a bagful of summer tomatoes, corn,  fragrant basil, and red onions: all the fixings for my summer Tomato and Corn Salad.

 If you are wanting to eat healthier and absorb more nutrients, this easy recipe may help! 

Our bodies need enzymes that are found in raw food to digest help our food. I can't even imagine all the enzymes, vitamins, and antioxidants in this colorful vegetarian, gluten-free salad. There are reds, yellows, purples, and greens- and since nothing is heated, few nutrients are destroyed.





Don't boil corn, eat it raw off the cob! yum
I used to boil the corn, drain it, and then rub it with a little organic butter and a little salt. It tasted divine. But who feels like boiling water in this oppressively hot weather?

Now I simply, husk the corn, clean off the strings, wash it, and eat it raw directly off the cob! That's right! I don't cook it or add butter. Raw corn doesn't need it.

Is it good? You bet..

The raw corn is sweet, crunchy, and full of natural juices. I like it better than cooked, and it retains the healthy enzymes that are usually destroyed in cooking. If you have never eaten your corn raw, you have to try it!

I use raw corn cut off the cob, in this tomato and corn salad.

Author: Judee Algazi
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 Minutes

Ingredients for salad

Raw corn from 3 ears of corn on the cob
4 large sweet juicy summer tomatoes
1/2 medium red onion, chopped fine
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped fine
1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped fine
1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped fine ( yum !)

Dressing:
Use lemon and olive oil, or balsamic vinegar and olive oil, or any Italian dressing.

Assemble all the ingredients and mix together in a large pasta bowl; mix in the dressing and eat!

Cut raw uncooked corn off the cob

Mix all the ingredients together

Great for a picnic too


Kids will love a piece of raw corn on the cob for a snack.
 If you pick out some sweet ears, kids can eat the uncooked kernels right off the cob!

Fresh uncooked corn provides protein ( about 5 gms/ cup), 12 gm of fiber,  iron and magnesium and the yellow variety has beta carotene.

Corn is also low in fat and sodium, while providing lots of fluid for hydration in the summer. So, enjoy the health benefits of this delicious vegetable  .Eat it raw for greatest benefit.

What could be easier?  No boiling water, no mess, no waiting! 

How to select the freshest ears of corn
1. Pick husks that are green with little brown or yellow
2. Open the husk slightly and look for plump kernels
3. Pick Yellow corn for beta carotene which our bodies convert to Vitamin A



      Linking this post to my  

My blog carnival list and 

Want to be added to My blog carnival list? 
Let me know
T

21 comments:

  1. Hey Judee, I'm a Jersey Girl and look forward to corn and tomatoes every summer! Your salad is the best of Jersey's best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a native New Yawker who absolutely loves the state of PA! I would love to live there someday before I am too old and feeble!! :) I also love to shop in NJ!!! This salad sound so good and healthy and I am going to make it this weekend as I have everything in the house. I often eat an ear of fresh sweet NJ or PA corn raw, right off the cob. Yum! xo,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      We really enjoy living in Bucks Country ( we are originally from NJ.. and the farm fresh corn and tomatoes are awesome!

      Delete
  3. Such a good salad...thanks for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious Judee. Light and refreshing for summer time. The best of Jersey on a plate.

    My husband was raised in NJ, so I'm familiar with the great Jersey tomatoes and corn. Thanks for stopping by from Seasonal Saturday. It's my pleasure to meet you.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks lovely. I'm a Jersey gal too, and I can't get enough corn. Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but I eat (and serve) it raw too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judee, I have all these ingredients on hand so I am going to make this one today, I love raw corn, I frequently cut it off the cob and add to spinach salad. Thanks and stop by some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzi,
      I stopped by your blog, subscribed, and look forward to reading your recipes. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  7. Will be trying this very fresh recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! This salad sounds so delicious! YUM! Could you send me a link to YOUR potato salad when you get a chance? :D I could not find a search button your site.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Judee,
    I just love all that fresh corn. Your salad looks delicious. Just stopping by from OTMM, thanks for sharing!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here from On the Menu...
    We have great corn here on Long Island, I will have to try this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judee, we used to grow our own corn. We had a ritual. My husband would come home from work, go right to the garden. I put up the water. He had shucked the corn. We dropped it, in the water for two minutes and then ate them. Sweet as can be. I admit, we never ate them raw.

    If people have not tasted fresh corn, they have not really tasted corn, as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love good fresh corn. Long Island has wonderful corn. I'll have to give your recipe a try.

    Great to have you being a part of Seasonal Sundays. Sorry to be so late in getting to visit.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! I love corn, and it sure is in season. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Judee,
    Your Corn and Tomato Salad looks so fresh and delicious. That corn looks awesome! Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Judee, this looks delicious !! yum yum..

    Thanks for sharing at the weekend blog hop

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband is from NJ so we visit there often. There is truly nothing like NJ corn and tomatoes. This salad has my mouth watering. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful salad, Judee! I can imagine how delicious it is with those ingredients. Some sweetness, some bite, etc. I'll skip the mint as I really only like that in desserts but, otherwise, I'm in! ;-) Thanks so much for sharing it with us on Gluten-Free Recipe Fix!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  18. That corn is beautiful - Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe at the What's for Dinner party!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly