Monday, September 12, 2011

Portobello Mushroom Burgers




Are you looking for a hearty tasting vegan burger to eat at a BBQ this summer? 
These resemble real hamburgers but are totally vegan and fabulous.

I used portobello mushrooms and black beans to give these burgers their flavor and their texture.

Have Leftovers? Make veggie burgers!
How many times do you have some leftover beans or leftover vegetables?
It's the perfect time to make a burger and freeze it! 

Who said that you have to make a dozen burgers at a time. Make one or two from the leftovers you have on a regular basis. Before you know it- your freezer will have a dozen or so healthy tasty burgers just waiting for when you need one. 

Summer just seems to call for burgers.
These are easy to make, hold together well, are gluten free, and make a great presentation.

Top the burgers with your choice of toppings-
Try sliced red onion, pickled red onion ,  caramelized onions, corn salsa, a thick slice of summer tomato , coleslaw, etc,

Your favorite topping can take these burgers from good to sensational!

Author: Judeethefoodie

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Refrigerate : 1 hour
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4
                                                         

Ingredients

10 ounces of Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and chopped in chunks
1 cup balsamic vinegar diluted with 3 Tablespoons water
2 cups of cooked black beans ( about 1 large can), drained and slightly mashed
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped ( optional)
1 TBSP cumin
3/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
1/4 cup each chopped red onion and parsley,
salt and pepper to taste ( or I used 21 Salute ( from Trader Joe's)  salt free seasoning mix)

Directions

Marinate sliced portobello mushrooms in balsamic vinegar for about 10 minutes. Grill mushrooms on a Forman Grill for 1-2 minutes , chop and add to mixture.

Mix mashed cooked black beans,  jalapeño, cumin, salt/pepper, breadcrumbs,
Add chopped portobello mushrooms, parsley and red onion until combined.
Form mixture into 4-6 patties. Put into the refrigerator for about an hour so they will hold together better.
Place the burger into a porcelain skillet and toast for 5 minutes on each side over medium high heat.


Assemble Ingredients


Mix drained black beans with seasoning and gluten free breadcrumbs

marinate mushrooms in Balsamic Vinegar for 10 minutes and grill on Forman grill if desired ( or don't)

Form into patties, and sautee burgers for 5 minutes on each side

Serve immediately on gluten free buns or on a plate; freezes well too.
     
May be shared on a few of the following blog carnivals
Like my recipes? I post lots more ; Follow me on Pinterest Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter .

Notes: All of my recipes are gluten-free and all of my recipes after 2011 are 100% plant based vegan (as opposed to vegetarian).


14 comments:

  1. I was just talking about making some black bean burgers the other day. This sounds like the perfect recipe to try. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice veggie burger for the winter months! I make black bean burgers regularly, but I've never added mushrooms or bread crumbs. I'll have to try them, and I'll look forward to reading more of your gluten-free recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those black bean burgers sound incredible, and love that they're gluten-free, especially considering I'm always at a loss when it comes to what to make for gluren-free friends. Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Love black beans. Please link this to Sunday Supper Stumble when you can. http://notyourordinaryrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/09/sunday-supper-stumble.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband loves portabella mushrooms and these burgers would be a hit with him. Great SRC choice.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds hearty! Need to remember this when the frozen blackbean Costco burgers in the freezer are finally gone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to make my own veg burgers and I love black beans and portobellos - I just need to pick up the portobellos and then can make these! They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these sound delicious. will definitely have to try them.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you say Portabella, I come running, I just love those mushrooms. Your Black Bean Portabella Mushroom Burger looks awesome! Hope you are having a great week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Judee! Thank you so much for sharing these delicious looking burgers at Savvy HomeMade Monday! I love portobellos and have NEVER tried black beans in burgers. These sound scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These burgers look wonderful Judee! I like how you marinated the mushrooms in balsamic - that would give a lovely flavour. These are such a nutritious recipe too, and so hearty! I've chosen this as one of my highlights for this week. Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a delicious alternative to burgers. I've been wanting to try making my own black bean burgers and I think this recipe looks easy enough to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judee, these look so good! I love portabella black bean burgers... and I love your pre-marinade and grilling of the bellas! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly