Thursday, September 22, 2011

How to Make Matzo Balls GF


















You gotta have matzo balls on Rosh Hashanah, even if you are gluten free. Does anyone have a really great recipe for an authentic tasting gluten free matzo ball? I Do!!! I Do!!

Matzo balls were always one of my favorite foods, so I really missed them when I stopped eating gluten.Until now, I couldn't find a recipe that reminded me of the old days when I could dive into a nice hot bowl of piping hot broth boasting one of two of  these tasty plump over sized  dumplings.

If you have never had matzo balls, you are really missing something. They are very popular on the east coast in a bowl of chicken soup. Kids of all ages love them, and they are really easy to make.

For years, my friend Paula ,who cooks for two gluten free family members ( her husband and son) , has been telling me about how good her gluten free matzo balls are. I never thought much about them until I was invited to her house for dinner and actually tasted them. Her gluten free matzo balls tasted amazing: totally authentic and delicious. I was hooked.

This is Paula's recipe, and I'm sharing it just in time for Rosh Hashanah  or Hanukkah or whenever you are in the mood .for a really authentic treat, that is even gluten free.

Enjoy these matzo balls in your favorite soup. They are fabulous!!

Ingredients.
2 T oil
2 large eggs
1/2 cup gluten free breadcrumbs ( or for Passover use 1/2 -3/4 cup almond flour see below)
1 tsp salt
2 T seltzer ( optional)
 ** If you do not have to make them gluten free, substitute regular breadcrumbs or ground matzo meal instead of the gluten free breadcrumbs.
Directions
Put up an 8qt pot of water and bring it to a boil with a little salt if you like

In the meantime
In a small bowl beat eggs and oil and set aside
In a separate bowl mix bread crumbs and salt.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and blend well with fork.
Add seltzer
Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes ( this step is important)

Remove batter from refrigerator. Divide batter into just slightly smaller than golf ball size balls ( should make about 8-10 .
When water comes to a boil, drop in balls one at a time into the boiling water
Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes.
Add to warm soup and serve.

Step by Step


Assemble Ingredients
Beat eggs and oil


Mix in bread crumbs and salt . When mixed add seltzer.
Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes ( don't skip this)
Wet your hands and form into golf size balls ( makes about 12-13)
Drop  in boiling water
Boil for about 35 minutes until center is soft

Use a slotted spoon to remove from water. Add to soup and serve.

Matzo balls also freeze well, so you can make them in advance.
You  do have to put them on a cookie sheet and allow to become very firm, then add to a baggie and freeze


This post will  be shared on  
My blog carnival list

Wan't to be added to My blog list? Let me know



If you are new to my blog and would like to be notified when I post a new recipe, please enter your email. Don't miss a recipe - about one or two a week.  ( you can unsubscribe at any time) subscribe by going over to the right side column and look for subscribe by email.


I am an affiliate for Amazon and I do receive a small compensation if you purchase on Amazon through my blog. I appreciate the support to cover the expenses of running the blog.

Food is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to come up with easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you. Come Back soon.






3K+ Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments
3K+ Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.


21 comments:

  1. I've never had matzo balls before but would like to give them a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh.. please let me know how you like them.

      Delete
  2. I've never had matzo balls either, but they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has to taste a matzo ball ; they are delicious

      Delete
  3. Wow, gluten-free matzoh balls. I love love love matzoh ball soup and will have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be quite a treat for my husband. He thanks you and so do I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GF matzah balls??? I love it!!! I'd have never imagined such a thing -- I'll have to pass this on to a dear friend who has multiple food intolerances, including gluten. Shanah Tovah - may 5772 be a very sweet year for you ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I passed this recipe on to my brother at Gluten free Edmonton.

    I know that refrigerating is one of the most important steps - but I don't understand why some of the packaged mixes still turn out like golf balls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great recipe! Thank for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic way for those who have to avoid gluten to enjoy matzo balls - or for those of us who sometimes struggle to find matzo to make them with too! Thank you for sharing this very useful post with the Hearth and Soul hop and Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really good point. I forgot that matzah is not always available.

      Delete
  9. good recipe but I think the salt should read 1 tsp not 1T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. acutually a tablespoon is good, but if you prefer less salt, use a tsp

      Delete
  10. Thank you for pointing out the mistake on the salt.
    It should be 1 tsp. and I've already changed it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are you supposed to stir in the seltzer or just leave it floating on the top?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What is T? (for example the receipe says 2 T oil). Sorry, I am from Argentina (not english speaker), and I dont know what meands the inicial T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T = tablespoon
      t= teaspoon

      Delete
  13. So sorry...

    T= tablespoon t = teaspoon

    Thank you for pointing that out.. I'll spell it out in the future..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m thrilled you stopped by and shared at Foodie Fridays; looking forward to seeing what fabulous post you have to share this week. Party starts Thursday at 9 pm EST. Hope to see you there.
    Blessings,
    Shari
    http://www.puregracefarms.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - I love the feedback and interaction