Sunday, December 4, 2011

Baked Apple, Yam, and Apricot Casserole



Last week one of our local farms in Bucks County, Pa. was selling  beautiful looking yams or maybe they were sweet potatoes ? 

Potato, Lang, Binh Tan

At fifty cents a pound, I couldn't resist buying more than I needed.
The yams were sweet and delicious, and we enjoyed a few of them simply oven baked in their skin. However, the other ten were just staring at me, begging to be a part of something more creative.

Delicious Easy Casserole

I created a colorful and nutritious Baked Apple, Yam, and Apricot Casserole with walnuts and cranberries basted in freshly squeezed orange juice. 

This colorful and flavorful casserole can be served as delicious side dish for any meal, and is a good fit for the Thanksgiving or Rosh Hashanah holidays.

The Aroma Baking Smells Amazing 
The aroma of this apple and yam casserole baking is reason enough to make it.

Enjoy The Fall 


***One more thing- Leftovers taste even better cold the next day



Ingredients:
3 large yams, peeled and sliced
2 large apples (I used Honey Crisps), peeled and sliced
2 large juice oranges or 1 equivalent of 1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup-1/2 cup maple syrup (your preference) mixed with 
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of cinnamon 
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
Optional: 8-10 fresh cranberries (these are VERY tart; use dried cranberries if you don't want the tartness)

Directions:
Peel and slice yams in round slices and set aside
Peel, core, and slice apples in ring type slices
Layer the yam slices with the apple slices to make 2 layers.
Douse each layer with  1/2 of the maple syrup mixed with vanilla extract and then 1/2 the cinnamon, walnuts and dried apricots and repeat.Add cranberries if desired.
 Squeeze the juice of two large juicy oranges over the casserole and more cinnamon to taste. Bake tightly covered at 375-400 degrees until apples and yams are tender (about 1/2 hour). 











Baked Casserole 

Notes:

1. Leftovers taste even better cold the next day!
2. This recipe could also be made for Passover and is parve. 

28 comments:

  1. Judee,
    Thank you so much for this yummy recipe and taking the time to create it for us.
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, this is so pretty! I'll bet it tastes yummy too.

    I totally agree with your comment. After my dad died, my mom moved in with us, and we had to make room for her.

    I found myself questioning why I was keeping some stuff. Some of it was decor stuff that I hadn't displayed in years, some was books, etc.

    I was able to get rid of it and make more room for things that I DID need and use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! Visit me at http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/ for recipes and a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally a perfect Thanksgiving day dish! Colorful and seasonal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing.. YUM.. Great recipe.. I'm stopping in from Blessed with Grace and I would LOVE for you to please share this recipe via my Three Weeks Of Thanks Linky party please.. http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/11/thankful-for-food.html - TY.. Wishing you an awesome Tuesday.. ~M

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great combination! And I love that it is naturally gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! Thanks for sharing it on Traditional Tuesday! I'm doing a holiday recipe round-up you might to post this on, too. http://www.cookingTF.com/2011/11/11/traditional-foods-holiday-recipes-round-up/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This casserole is so different from any yam I have ever tried. Looks and sounds amazing. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is so informative and yummy looking:) I think my subscribers would really enjoy reading this. I would love for you to come share it at Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on Frugally Sustainable today. And, I really hope that you will put Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on your list of carnivals to visit and link to each Wednesday! Here’s the link: http://frugallysustainable.blogspot.com/2011/11/frugal-days-sustainable-ways-1.html

    Warmly,
    Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable
    Here's the link: http://www.frugallysustainable.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marilyn,
    I'll be stopping by and linking. Thanks for introducing me to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kerry Ann,
    I'll be stopping by your holiday roundup and linking. Thanks for the invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andrea,
    Congratulations on your new linky. I'm glad to join and link to a real food blog carnival. Thanks for introducing me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so very much for linking up to Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways:) I'm so happy to "meet" you! I am totally loving your blog and this post! I really hope you make Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways a part of your Wednesdays! And keep the great posts comin'
    Very sincerely,
    Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable

    ReplyDelete
  14. great idea using the addition of apples its seems like the perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like the perfect addition to the thanksgiving table! Just lovely. And real yams! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful dish -- and I love the combination of squash and apples.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy. Might have to try this for Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks for sharing. I would love it if you could link this up to our linky party going on right now.

    http://junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2011/11/link-it-up-wednesday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your yam and apple casserole is so beautiful and must be delicious! Love the colorful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that looks so good!

    Do you suppose it would work in a crock pot?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so good. Thanks for sharing with Simply Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is an awesome Yam and Apple Casserole. I really love the addition of the apricot's in your recipe. My very best wishes to you and your family for a blessed Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks delicious! I want to make this right now! Do you think it would work without the walnuts??
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie this week! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. That sounds tasty with great and classic Fall flavors. Thank you for sharing at Vintage Recipe Thursday. Wishing you a great week and a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  24. this looks fantastic! Thx for linking up last week, sorry for the delay in visiting but sure glad I didn't miss this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, that looks really yummy and healthy! Thanks for sharing it with the hearth and soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have to make this! It is a unique combination, but I can imagine it and my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly