Looking for a refreshing icy cold drink to serve at your next BBQ ?
The key to the fabulous taste of this watermelon smoothie is that the watermelon was frozen before I made the smoothies! All I did is cut up some watermelon into cubes, popped them into baggies, then into the freezer overnight and in the morning the frozen watermelon was ready to be used to make these really cold refreshing smoothies.
Truthfully, it is refreshing just to eat some of the frozen watermelon cubes right from the freezer .
However, drinking frozen watermelon in a smoothie is really amazing!
Let me tell you why I started making these smoothies!
It has been really hot and humid. Sometimes you just need something really cold and refreshing!
I was visiting Healthy, Happy, Life. ( love that blog) and saw Kathy's Watermelon Frosty!
Do you know how good her Watermelon Frosty looked to me when I was dripping from the heat and humidity? I wanted to make some right then and there, but I didn't have any frozen watermelon! ( who would?)
However, I did have a watermelon! Unfortunately , I had to wait until the next day when the cubes froze solid ( the next day).
Let's face it. Who would have ever thought to freeze watermelon? Not me!
Well, I proceeded to cut up watermelon, placed the cubes in baggies and froze them. Yes, it was that simple. ( See freezing suggestions at the end of this post )
Today, I am prepared for the heat.. It is still oppressively hot, but I have a few baggies full of frozen watermelon in my freezer.
Watermelon is also good for you.
It has virtually no fat, a cup has only 48 calories, and it is a rich source of vitamins.
In addition, watermelon contains lycopene, an antioxidant that fights free radicals in the body. Watermelon contains more lycopene than any other fruit or vegetable including tomatoes.
This rich source of lycopene may be especially good for those with prostate problems ( ask your doctor first)
I always have too much watermelon. So , next time you have leftover watermelon, cut it up and freeze it for smoothies!
3 Ways to Use Frozen Watermelon cubes :
- Eat them plain right from the freezer - yum! It's like frozen ices
- Use them as ice cubes in a pitcher of water to flavor the water and keep water cold
- Mix the cubes into any type of smoothie
Author: Judee Algazi
Blog: Gluten Free A-Z Blog
Adapted from: Healthy, Happy, Life.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
3 cups of frozen watermelon cubes
1 cup cold watermelon juice ( I save the watermelon juice when I scooped the watermelon)
If you don't have the juice, use water
Maple syrup or any sweetener of your choice to taste
Juice of 1/2 large lime
1 large banana
Blend all ingredients in Vitamix, Nutribullet, or in a strong blender.
Serve immediately with a wedge of lime.
1. Cut the watermelon in small chunks and freeze on a cookie sheet so it doesn't all stick together. Then throw it into baggies when frozen. ( about 8 hours) . Otherwise it may freeze in one large clump and that could be very hard on your blender. Melon balls are cute too.
2. When cutting the watermelon, reserve the watermelon juice in a jar and keep it in the refrigerator overnight. ( you can also just use water)
3. Don't skip the banana. The first time I made the smoothie, I did ( skip the banana) and then I added it back in. The banana really adds something to the drink.
4. Add some rum if you desire. This makes one refreshing and delicious coctail for a party!
This recipe is raw, vegan, dairy free, and gluten free.
I love to read your comments and be introduced to your blog. I usually visit and follow on G+ , twitter, etc.
Follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and G+ or even follow my blog. I post many more recipes Gluten Free A-Z and Twitter .
To leave a comment, scroll down to the green box at the end of this post and click on comments.
This post will be shared on
My blog carnival list and Gluten Free Fix - 4th of July
Want to be added to My blog list?
Let me know