Friday, January 27, 2012

Mexican Guacamole Plus Tips



               bowl of guacamole and tomato

There is nothing quite as simple and delicious as a bowl of colorful guacamole.

Florida Vacation With Siblings

Two of my husband's siblings and their families met with us in Florida for a family vacation. We all crashed my brother-in-law's large home in Parkland, Florida.  While we were all there for the week, we enjoyed cooking together and of course eating together. 

One of the late afternoon snacks we made and shared was this big bowl of Mexican guacamole. (Happy Hour anyone?) 

The avocados were nice and ripe, and the entire recipe only took about 5- 6 minutes to make.

This recipe makes a delicious party dip that just also happens to be gluten free and vegan, making it perfect if you or your guests have special eating needs. 

Use celery sticks or (gluten free Non GMO) corn chips as dippers and enjoy!

What makes a guacamole recipe Mexican?

I purchased Haas avocadoes which come from Mexico, and the optional tequila really authenticates it as Mexican !!! Hola

Helpful Tips for buying and  using avocados:

1.  If you make the guacamole in advance, be sure to leave the pit in the dip until you serve it. The pit will help keep the avocado dip from turning brown.. Remove the large pit before serving!

2. An avocado is ripe when the outer skin turns brown and the avocado becomes somewhat soft to the touch. If you buy a hard green avocado, you can just leave it out on the counter to ripen up. 
It takes about 3-5 days.

3.  If you need to use the avocado sooner, put it into a brown paper bag (never a plastic bag) together with a banana or an apple and the gases from the other fruit will speed up the ripening process.

4. If you forget to use your avocado and it becomes too ripe to use, you can give yourself and avocado facial or hair treatment. Avocado contains vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids that are great for damaged hair.


Mexican Tequila Guacamole Recipe

Ingredients:
2 ripe avocados
1 pkg. cherry tomatoes, washed and dried and chopped into quarters
Juice of 1 large lemon or lime
1 clove (or more) fresh garlic pressed
Salt to taste (we did not use any)
If you like things hot, add  red pepper flakes
Optional: 1-2 ounces of Mexican tequila (we did not add it)

Directions:
Peel and cut up avocado into a bowl. Add tomatoes, pressed garlic . Squeeze in lemon juice and mash with fork to desired consistency. ( we like it a little chunky)
Taste and add salt if desired and a the tequilla.. OLAY!!!



lemon and avocado


bowl of halved avocado
Add caption
                           

                        cocktail frozen mojito
                       Frozen Kiwi Mojitos Anyone??  click here for a great recipe


Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

22 comments:

  1. Hi Judee, I love the hint about the pit! I thought by adding lime juice it would help, it does a little but I am going to leave the pit from now on. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara,
    The pit really works! It will keep it fresh even overnight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I love guacamole, I've made it a few times. In Brazil avocados are used mostly for desserts and smoothies, and I never liked it. I thought I didn't like avocados until I tried them savory in guacamole. Fell in love! Yours looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip about the pit. I thought the lemon was my only hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one good-looking guacamole! Simple and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! Thanks for stopping by my blog...I'm now following!
    Sally
    loveofhomes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is how I make my guacamole, except I like to add a little bit of finely sliced onions that I soak in lime juice first as well.

    Thanks for stopping by Cupcakes & Cucumbers, I am a new follower of your blog now as well! I am always up for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in search of the perfect Guacamole recipe -- that is one that I think is amazing. I am adding this one to my list to try. Thanks!!!!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds great! I am definitely gong to try it. I tried to follow you, but when I click on the "follow" only a white blank screen appears (not sure why). I will try again later. Great post and recipes - I look forward to more visits and ideas (never knew about the avocado pit trick).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got through on the third try. Am now your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by from the Barn Hop. Going to try the pit idea, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is nothing like a good, fresh guacamole and this looks amazing. I love the tomato in it. And your big Florida family vacation sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Guacamole is my all time favorite food! Your recipe is amazing. I did not know about the pit trick, but I can't wait to try it! I'd love if you would drop by and link up to my Super Bowl Eats and Treats Party!
    http://www.thefreshmancook.blogspot.com/2012/01/super-bowl-eats-treats-blog-party.html

    Hope to see you there! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. With so many people having gluten allergies this is a very important blog. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the guacamole is gorgeous and makes me want to make some RIGHT NOW! I love that it's so simple, rather than having lots of stuff mixed in; let the flavor of the avocados shine ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I would like it, if you would check this out and please respond to my question, in this post. I appreciate it.
    http://sweetsav.blogspot.com/2012/01/linky-thoughts-guacamole-compliments-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I clicked on your link because I LOVE guac! Then I saw you're a gf Blogger!! Bonus! Thanks for all the yummy ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pit did it for me! LOL. I just shared this post with all my Ducks 'n a Row FACEBOOK FANS! It's great.

    Thanks for stopping by today's Blog Hop. It's still open for any of your readers who would like to link up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your recipe sounds delicious - and I like the idea of adding the tequila! Great tips for making homemade guacamole too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm mexican, and as unitedamericans must hear regularly, we really don't recognize the food you call mexican as such. The basic guacamole is as simple as: red tomatoes (not the cherry kind), mashed avocado, coriander, onions, green pepper, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste. Usual variations have bell pepper, cucumber and green tomatoes. Tequila... not really.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds great. Don’t forget the scallions, which makes it taste even better! Also, the key is to use limes rather than lemons.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly