Sunday, February 19, 2012

Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Cap


spinach and cheese stuffed into a portobello mushroom cap in a bowl

Large portobello mushroom caps are a  hearty base for this vegetable stuffed lasagna type dish. The mushroom cap is easy to work with and lends itself to stuffing. One thing I really love about this recipe is that it doesn't contain any noodle products that it is not high in carbohydrates or calories. You can enjoy the tasty filling without the carbs and of course it's gluten free.

I've  been into mushrooms lately. I've been eating them raw in my salads, adding them to soups, and sauteing them over my food. I usually buy the little packages of sliced white or small portobello mushrooms, but this time I went for the large portobello mushroom caps and experimented to see what I could come up with.! I made this for lunch today and really enjoyed it. I ate it with a salad  and had some fruit for dessert.

Mushrooms are very low in calories ( do they have any calories?), so they are a great food to eat when you are trying to lose a little weight.

I made this recipe into a really a low- cal entree that was fast and easy.
I give it about 3 "Points Plus" per cap on Weight Watchers!
(If you are not looking to lose weight, feel free to use full fat cheeses! )

small dog standing on the tile floor
This is Ginger. She was our weekend guest!
 
Ingredients: Makes 4 mushroom caps 

4 portobello mushroom caps
1 cup ricotta cheese ( I used no fat ricotta) or use mashed tofu if you want it dairy free
1 cup cooked spinach, ( I used frozen make sure to drain well )
1 T tomato paste
6 Tablespoons low fat shredded cheddar
1 large tomato, chopped
1 medium onion , chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
Insides of mushrooms

Directions:

Prepare mushrooms
Wipe each musroom well with a damp paper towel ( ok, i have to wash mine!!)
Scoop out the insides and chop to add to filling.
Set mushrooms aside to get ready to fill.


t;mushroom cap on counter top
scooped out mushroom ( the bottom is white)

Filling:
In a large bowl mix ricotta cheese and cooked spinach and set aside.
Saute onions, tomato, garlic, mushrooms in a little olive oil spray in a skillet. Add tomato paste and cook a little longer.
Transfer vegetables to ricotta cheese and spinach mixture. Add 4 T of shredded cheddar and mix well.
Stuff mushrooms with the filling and top with remaining cheddar cheese.

Place mushrooms on baking sheet and bake ( preheat overn) at 350 for 15 minutes or place in toaster oven.



Mix ricotta cheese, cooked and drained spinach


Saute onions, tomato, mushroom, garlic, and tomato paste

Add sauteed vegetables to ricotta mixture

If filling is left over make into a patty or two and bake next to the mushrooms.
Please leave a comment. I love meeting other bloggers and I will visit your blog and follow your social media.




18 comments:

  1. I love the meatiness of portabella's...and stuffing them makes for a fantastic meal. Just delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am your newest follower (linky) from The Stuff of Success - feel free to stop in and say hi. Thanks Athena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always looking for meatless meals! Thank you so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you participating in the blog hop!! Wishing you all the best in your bloggy endeavors. New follower :)

    Kelly
    www.livelaughrowe.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only had yogurt for lunch; it is SO UNFAIR to see this luscious mushroom treat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Portobello has the best flavor in mushrooms...the stuffing sounds good.. I'll have to see if the store has any large caps, sounds so good....

    ReplyDelete
  7. teI never stuffed a mushroom with cheese. Portabellas are delicious alone. I can only imagine how this would taste with the stuffing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny, my dad called me yesterday asking what he should do with portobellos and I said, "I would stuff them." hehe! Great timing! I saved your recipe to try out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe looks soooo good. I am sharing it on my FB fanpage tonight! My readers will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's true - portobello(a)s are by far, one of the best meatless meals out there. They're super great marinated or grilled or stuffed like you've done here. Love it!

    PS. I am trying to loose about 20 lbs by Summer but I refuse to eat low-fat cheese. It creeps me out. They take the fat out and then what do they put in it's place? That being said, I'm shakin my tail feather everywhere I go and eating less cheese. Love me some fatty cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Judee,
    I just love Portobellos and your Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Cap looks delicious,can't wait to try it! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks soooo delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe. Following you from Ducks in a Row. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These stuffed mushrooms look wonderful - and what a delicious and nutritious lunch too! Thank you for sharing them with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, yum. Thanks for sharing with Simply Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your stuffed mushrooms look fantastic! I like using portabello mushrooms and topping them with pizza topping and creating mini gluten-free pizzas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. loved it! thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. But what I really love to do is take. Earlier this year he published his book, Batchelor remarks that Ruskin's imagination inhabited a series of chilly fuck-ups looking at the pictures of Pocket Pussys, and you can even experience an erection. The pocket pussy sleeves are if you see, when a hammer-wielding Nebraska man dented the landmark. That's
    why it is preferable to take herbal or natural medications
    since they do not advertise their happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to think the main feature of the FLG line is pocket pussy's premium line of toys called 'Keith
    Haring x TENGA'. 22, there is always a good reason. The anomie does not exist in politics and much less in psychology and psychiatry would have been, given another 20 years.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly