Thursday, March 8, 2012

Avocados and Why You Should Eat Them + recipe

                              

This is one of the best and healthiest chocolate puddings I have ever eaten. Yet, it is dairy free, gluten free, and vegan.

Can you believe that this creamy and healthy chocolate pudding is made with avocados?

It tastes like the real thing , but it is so much healthier.

This recipe and nutritional information about avocados is a guest post being shared by Leslie of the blog Real Food Freaks.



Real Food Freaks. is a blog that I have enjoyed for a long time. Co-authored by Leslie and Jen, their blog provides excellent information about the benefits of real food as well as some great recipes.

 I especially love Leslie's gluten free Coconut Crepes and Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies ( grain free)  .

          Avocados ; Why You Should Eat Them
Guest Post by Leslie of Real Food Freaks (www.realfoodfreaks.com)


                                           


I, personally, don’t need a reason to eat avocados... because they are delicious... and I love them.  However, I’ve met several people who have a fear of this amazing food.  The reasons for “said fear” vary:   some people are afraid of anything green, some people don’t know what to do with them, and some people are afraid of the fat that avocados contain.  I say... FEAR NOT!

Avocados are a nutrient dense food in and of themselves.  Did you know that they are a fruit?  They are... weird, I know... but they are.  Avocados top all fruit in folate, potassium, Vitamin E and magnesium.  Plus, they are full of monounsaturated fat (this is a good thing... your body need this).  Let me explain just a bit about each of these things:

  • Folate-  Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke.

  • Potassium-  Regulates blood pressure, helps prevent heart disease and stroke.  Important for cellular function within the body.

  • Magnesium-  Essential for enzyme activity, nerve transmission,  healthy bones and cardiovascular system.  Helps prevent migrains and type 2 diabetes.

  • Vitamin E-  Fat-soluble vitamin necessary for circulation, tissue repair and healing.  This powerful antioxidant plays a vital role in deactivating free radicals

  • Monounsaturated Fat (Oleic Acid)-  Improves the body’s ability to absorb fat-                soluble nutrients like alpha & beta carotene and lutein from other foods.

If you’re new to buying avocados, let me tell you what to look for.  A ripe avocado will “give” slightly when pressed.  Do not buy any avocados that are soft and avoid any with cracks or blemishes.  It is very hard to find ripe avocados in the store; they are usually rock hard... so buy them in advance of when you plan to use them. 




I generally keep avocados on hand at all times, especially this time of the year because they are much cheaper.  I love to eat a couple of slices with my eggs in the morning, diced in a salad, diced on top of chili or a burger, as guacamole, or in chocolate pudding.  Yup, you read that correctly... I said chocolate pudding!!!!!



If you’ve got 5 minutes, a blender, and a couple of ripe avocados... then do I have a treat for you!  You’re welcome.




        Best Creamy Chocolate Pudding
  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 2 tsp. real vanilla extract
  • ½ cup cocoa powder
  • ½ cup maple syrup
  • ¾ cup milk (coconut, almond, raw dairy... your preference)

1.  Slice avocado in half, remove the pit, scoop out the fruit, and throw it in the blender with the other ingredients.
2.  Blend until smooth.  You may need to stop a couple of times and scrape down the sides.  Add a bit more milk if necessary.


  • Variation Suggestions: 
  • add ½  - 1 tsp. (depending on your  preference) of cinnamon, cayenne, or peanut butter.  
  • You could also substitute half of the vanilla extract with almond extract
  •  Mashed banana in place of some of the maple syrup

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Leslie, Thank you for this informative guest post. Who couldn't use a little nutritional boost, especially with a food that tastes so good. Can't wait to try the pudding for dessert tonight!

May be shared on a few of the following blog carnivals
Like my recipes? I post lots more ; Follow me on Pinterest Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter .




Follow Me on Pinterest

23 comments:

  1. Yours is the first recipe I have seen that combines maple syrup (Vermont is my birthplace) and avocados! (I married and avocado farmer and have lived on the farm for 30 years!) We eat avocados all the time, of course, since they grow on trees around here. We even ship gift boxes and subscriptions of fresh avocados direct from the farm. Thanks for the recipe...I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! I love avocado on toast, and ever since I started incorporating more of them in my diet, my skin looks so good. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really good to know about the skin and it makes sense with all the good fats in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No way! I love avocados and need no reason to eat them, either. They're expensive here, though. I don't know if I could bring myself to "bury" them in the pudding...I love guacamole and just dicing avocados onto salads.

    Thanks for this healthy dessert idea, though, and if I can ever rake in an avocado windfall, I'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this pudding, or something very similar a few weeks ago and it was incredible. I could eat it everyday. And I thought avocados were just for guacamole!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann, this time of year they have been quite inexpensive... anywhere from 69 cents to $1... so I've been stocking up! Often times I decrease the maple syrup by 1/2 or even use a banana instead-- then it's an especially great "dessert" for my kids (or me).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so wish I could eat avocados, because I absolutely love them, but I am allergic. They used to just make my mouth and tongue tingle, but now I get a little worried I might have a real problem. I can make a mean guacamole though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leslie,
    Thanks for the tip to subsitute a banana for some of the maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't need a reason to eat avocados either....I already love them! But this recipe is intriguing and I am definitely going to be giving it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great guest post! I adore avocados and really appreciated reading about their health benefits. I am loving this chocolate-avocado combo! I bet it gives it a luxurious texture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made this and it.was.AWESOME. Totally tasted like chocolate pudding from the box but richer. If you love chocolate, especially dark, u will love this. It even fooled my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I am so glad that you tried it and loved it. I can't wait to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Julest-- I'm so glad that you & your kids enjoyed this! For a treat that only takes a few minutes to make... it sure does pack a nutritious punch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks SO GOOD! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Avocados and chocolate is so interesting. I might just have to try that! Thanks for all the info.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love avocados too, but never made pudding from them. I can't wait to try this. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love avocados . I wish I could eat chocolate I would love to try this. Hope to see you at the Thursday linky party this week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just made this with blue agave (we're out of maple syrup) and coconut milk. It's delicious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait to try this - I tried avocado for the first time yesterday and I'm not completely sold on them yet. I don't absolutely love them, but I definitely don't hate them.

    Stopping by from Mix It Up Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am totally going to try this! My 15 month old daughter is on the small side and the doctor wants us to get more protein and healthy fat into her, but she hates avocado! I totally think that this will be a way that I can sneak it into her and she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Τhanks a bunch for sharing this with all οf us you aсtually геalіzе what you are tаlking abоut!
    Bookmarkеd. Kindlу adԁitionаlly
    ԁiѕcuss with mу web site =). We wіll hаve a hyρerlink alternatе agreement amοng


    Here is my blog post Property for Sale

    ReplyDelete
  22. Like you, I don't need a reason to eat avocados. I love them. It is good to know, though, that they are so good for me. I'm trying that pudding!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly