Friday, April 20, 2012

Simple Carrot Ginger Soup for Two


bowl of pureed carrot soup

mug of carrot soup
Carrot Ginger Soup in a mug

This is my very quick version of a delicious healthy carrot ginger soup that feels like a comfort soup when you are sick. To say that this carrot ginger soup is fast and easy to make,  is an understatement.

I was starting to come down with a sore throat and a cold. I was feeling the chills,  so, I wanted something hot to eat that could be made quickly. I had some sweet organic carrots in the fridge and a piece of fresh ginger. I made the two ingredients into a quick soup that turned out to be surprisingly soothing and delicious. It is gluten free, fat free, low calorie, and vegan and the color is bright and appealing. 

I liked the soup so much, I ate two large bowls.

What was so great about this soup?
  • It was soothing- It's the kind of soup you could eat when your sick, like a comfort soup.
  • It was light but filling.
  • It tasted great
  • It took under 10 minutes to make
  • It's made with two healthy ingredients ( carrots and fresh ginger)
  • It could be topped with Greek Yogurt or Sour Cream for an extra special boost
  • Carrots are good for you,  full of beta carotene and antioxidants
  • Ginger has many health giving benefits as well
  • It was good enough to serve to company- really
  • It could be served chilled in the summer-yum
  • It is salt free- know anyone on a low salt diet? 
  • It is 0 points on Weight Watchers- '
  • It is gluten free
  • It is vegan
  • You can add other spices as well; when it was done cooking I added 1 tsp of ground cumin
It's a very simple soup,  but, it tasted great, and I'll make it again.


Great Tip**** Freeze your Ginger! If you don't use fresh ginger very often, you can freeze  peeled leftover ginger and keep it for up to 6 weeks in your freezer ( see directions for peeling and freezing ginger at the end of this post). Then , next time you need a piece, just go to your freezer.


Scroll down to see how to peel ginger..


Recipe

Ingredients:
4-5  large organic carrots, sliced into thirds
6 cups water
1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger ( or more to taste)
Cracked pepper to taste
Optional: Add 1 tsp of cumin after cooking

Directions:
Place carrots into a sauce pan with 6 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and allow carrots to cook until soft.  Turn off the heat, add grated ginger, and allow to steep for 5 minutes covered. Blend in the blender .. and eat immediately.
carrots in a saucepan cooking
This is a portion for one

                                                 

                   blender with pureed carrots


                         carrot soup
                                   Simple Carrot Ginger Soup
 How to peel ginger easily:                      

Just take the back of a spoon and lightly scrape the ginger.. The skin will come off easily and the ginger will ready to use. Once peeled , it grates easily for any recipe.

How to Freeze Leftover Ginger:
If you don't use all of your ginger right away, place the peeled leftover ginger in a ziplock baggie and freeze it. It will stay fresh for about 6 weeks (or more)  and will be available for your next recipe. Also, frozen ginger is easier to cut.

All of my recipes are gluten free and many of my recipes are vegan.
I do have some vegetarian recipes that use eggs and very few recipes that use cheese.


Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

22 comments:

  1. It's easy to make, it's nutritious, it's got the fabulous flavor of ginger (one of my favorites), and it's gorgeous ... what more do you need???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly simple, Judee & yet VERY tasty looking! We loooove soups around here & in fact, since our temps are in the 30'2!!!!...we'll have some for supper.

    I look forward to trying yours soon & will be sending a link to your site to my Vegan sister & my gluten-free brother, not to mention my two diabetic sisters!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good. Thanks for sharing with Simply Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are feeling better!! This soup sounds absolutely amazing!!! The flavors sound incredible and I love how easy it is to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a simple and easy way to cure what is ailing. ;-) Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up to my Motivational Monday Party! Your recipe looks dee-lish =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks yummy and SO easy! I always have so many carrots in the garden. Looks like a great way to use them up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love ginger so much, especially during flu season

    ReplyDelete
  9. Short ingredient list, easy to make, nutrient dense -- what's not to love?! Like your idea about freezing the ginger too. Thanks for sharing it on Hearth & Soul.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks yummy. I usually buy this in the box at Trader Joes a homemade version will be a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds and looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carrot and ginger is such a fabulous combo, and perfect for when you're not feeling so good. I'm sure it did the trick! Thanks for sharing this with Sunday Night Soup Night, look forward to seeing you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love carrot ginger soup but I never make it because the recipe I have is so complicated. So glad to find yours. I pinned it too. Please share this on my Foodie Friday linky today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I LOVE carrot ginger soup but haven't made it in ages! I'll be trying this out soon--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks good and comforting. I bet it would work well with sweet potatoes or butternut squash too. Thanks for sharing this week at Allergy-Free Wednesdays! As always, hope to see you back again next week.

    Have a good weekend!
    ~Michelle, AFW Hostess

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I really appreciate the details, especially on the ginger prep.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Judee,
    I just love the Carrot and Ginger flavor combination and your recipe looks awesome. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks delicious... and easy! Thanks for sharing with Healthy 2Day Wednesday; come back next Wednesday to see if you were featured!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the simplicity of this recipe! And, it was so very yummy.

    I actually loved this recipe so much that I included it in a spring inspired gluten free recipe round-up. Thank you for crafting such an allergy-friendly (delicious) recipe! http://bit.ly/ILMDgS

    Candice

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a great recipe, I like the idea of it chilled. I am going to get some beautiful carrots. Usually I would boil in stock and add curry but I am going to make it this way. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about eating it chilled! It's going to be about 98 degrees in the Philly area today. This could be great for dinner with Greek yogurt. thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  21. How amazing! I made a pin out of this post that says Simple Carrot Ginger Soup from Gluten Free A-Z Blog fix it quick and tasty #glutenfree and #vegan

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly