Friday, April 6, 2012

Passover Charoset ( Apple and cinnamon treat)




Chopped Apples, Cinnamon, apricots, walnuts, OJ, and grape juice ground into  Passover Charoset

Pin It

Charoset is a quick and easy recipe for a rich cinnamon and apple flavored nutty spread that is an absolute delight to the taste buds. It is also so healthy because it iis all real food, gluten free, and vegan.

It is technically a traditional Passover ceremonial food for the Seder plate. It is supposed to look like the mortar that the ancient Hebrews used to make buildings for the Pharaohs.( the frogs are reminiscent of one of the ten plagues).

There are as many  recipe versions of charoset as there are countries. In the Middle Eastern countries, they make their charoset using tropical fruits like dates, figs, etc. My mother in law ( who lived in Egypt) makes a version with  lots of dates and raisins. It needs no sweetners because it is naturally sweet ( recipe below). It makes a great spread for kids instead of jelly.

People of Eastern European background use apples in their recipe. I've also heard all kinds of recipes from countries like Morroco, Yemen, Africa, etc that may contain three kinds of different nuts, bananas, prunes, etc.

My version of Charoset is a Eastern European version similar to the Charoset that my Russian grandmother used to make with apples, cinnamon, and walnuts.  However, At my Seder table, I will have two versions of Charoset . One will be my mother in law's and the other will be my grandmother's version.



My mother in laws Pasty Middle Eastern Charoset ( soaked dates and raisins) makes a delicious jam


My grandmothers Apple, walnuts, cinnamon, apricot Charoset makes a chunky spread



Ingredients for Charoset
After the Seder ( the Passover ceremony night) , we continue to enjoy eating charoset all week long as a snack on matzo.. So,  no matter if you celebrate Passover or not, Don't skip over this one,  you gotta try charoset ( on a little matzo)

Ingredients for my grandmother's Charoset.

2 large red apples, chopped in small chunks( I used organic and left the peel on)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup grape juice or sweet red wine
8 dried apricots
1/4 tsp. cinnamon or more to taste
freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 orange

Directions:
Put everything in a food processor with metal blade.
Whiz a few times quickly on off  on off
Makes a chunky paste

Eat on Matzoh.. or any salt less cracker



Prefer the Middle Eastern Charoset which is like a jam or paste and tastes great ?




Ingredients:
2 cups raisins, soaked
1 cup pitted dates, soaked
Gound walnuts for a topping ( optional)

Directions:
Soak raisins in a bowl overnight ( or at least 2 hours)
Soak pitted dates in a bowl overnight ( or a least 2 hours)
Drain  well in the morning
Put raisins and dates in a food processor and process a few time until mixture is well mixed
Eat on matzoh

Another Passover Recipe: Passover Pizza



Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

Shared on Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking 



17 comments:

  1. Looks like a great charoset recipe. I love the decorative frogs on the plate - those are awesome!

    The charoset my uncle brings back from his shule (Moroccan) is very, very dark and sticky - it comes rolled into small balls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had Charoset before but these recipes sound amazing and I'm going to try them. I've got everything I need for both!

    How long will they keep in the refrigerator? (Assuming we don't gobble it all up the first day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had this before, but it looks and sounds amazing! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hadn't thought to put dates in my Charoset! Thanks for giving me some inspiration! Chag Sameach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. isintHappy Passover.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! What a delicious and healthy spread. I look forward to trying this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious! A healthy snack for anyone any time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charoset was always the favorite at our family Passover table. I learned how to make it from my dear mother-in-law. The only ingredient in your recipe that is different from hers is the dried apricots, which are a delicious addition!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how delicious both recipes look and great to learn the story behind them too! Love the frogs:)Thank you for sharing these recipes on Seasonal Celebration! Enjoy a wonderful weekend! Rebecca @ Natural Mothers Network x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Judee,
    This is a wonderful treat! Hope you are having a wonderful Spring day. Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious! I Would love to have you link up to my 2 carnivals today....http://www.aroundmyfamilytable.com/2012/04/feed-your-soul-5/ (anything food related) and http://everydaymomcakes.com/sugar-me-up-5/ (deserts only). Hope to see you around!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing on Allergy-Free Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the recipes! I made the apple/walnut/cinnamon type of charoset a couple of years ago for the first time and enjoyed it. I may have to try the date recipe this year. Happy Almost Passover!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds great! I have some dates, apples and walnuts to use up, so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My grandmothers and yours had similar recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting to learn a bit about Passover food. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly