Saturday, July 28, 2012

Easy Way to Remove Pits from Cherries



cherries on a plate


Ever wonder if there is an easy way to remove the pit from a cherry?
Truthfully, I've never ever given that question a thought, but my friend Fay has!

Fay is always full of surprises, so no one blinked an eye when she requested a straw to eat her cherries.

pink green and yellow plastic straw lot
 
I was playing Mah Jong  with a group of friends. The hostess put out a large bowl of succulent red cherries. As the rest of us happily ate our cherries and spit out the pits on our plates, my friend Fay had a unique way of removing her pit before the cherry ever touched her lips.

red cherries on brown ceramic bowl


You have to know Fay-- It was an entertaining afternoon!!

Ingredients:
1 bowl of cherries
1 straw

Directions: 
Select a ripe cherry.
Using a firm straw, insert the straw into one end of the end of the cherry . ( the end with the stem
Gently push the straw through the cherry until the pit comes out the other end.

Pictures Step by Step  


Fay selecting her cherry

Fay positioning her straw at the tip of the cherry

                                     Fay pushing the straw through and popping out the pit

Fay holding her de-pitted cherry

It was so easy that we all could not believe how well it works!! This is great if you need to add cherries for baking or to serve to very little toddlers!


Please leave Fay a comment by scrolling down to the very end of the post and clicking on the word ' comments' ( If you are reading this in your email, you will have to click over to the actual blog to leave a comment.)

Follow Me..on Twitter and Facebook.. for additional recipes and ideas..




Gluten Free Tip:
If you are looking to understand Gluten Intolerance a little better, here is a short you tube video that does a good job of explaining.It's called " Is bread killing you"?   http://glutenfreewithjudee.blogspot.com/2010/09/is-bread-killing-you-gluten-intolerance.html







Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I have to say that Faye did come up with a useful tip!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love cherries. We were at a party recently where there was a big bowl of cherries and a spit cup. It made me sick - I stayed away from the cherries! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a more appealing way of getting rid of the pit. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. Great idea!
    I'm going to remember this one.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Stopped by from Sunny Simple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing at Mealtime Monday!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the great recipes that are shared on Mealtime Monday.. I'm a regular

      Delete
  6. Oooh I have a cherry pitter that kind of does the same thing. Using a straw is such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I'm on my way over to check out this week's post on your blog.

      Delete
  8. Thanks Fay! Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is genius! My littlest is always trying to get them out without breaking the cherry. I can't wait to show him...thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always use my grandmother's cherry pitter for the tart cherries, and just spit out the pits from the sweet ones; I would never have thought of using a straw! That is so cool! I didn't realize you played mahj - I was adopted into a game (which I don't have enough time for usually, which is so unfortunate) with 3 of my "bubbes," who are 90, and they are just a hoot. 270 years of wisdom at my disposal as we talk through the afternoon ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,
      I've been playing mahj for at least 10 years!!

      Judee

      Delete
  11. I love this idea! Very easy! Thanks for sharing it ON THE MENU MONDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea! Can't wait to give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is such a cool idea. I have a huge bag of cherries waiting to be used but I am too lazy to pit them. this is so helpful! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ughhh I had just pitted 12 lbs of cherries by slicing them in half and pulling the pit out....I didn't want to buy a pitter yet because I don't always buy cherries every year. Wish I would have thought of using a straw! Fingers are still stained :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Faye .. love this!! So easy peasy!!
    Thank you so much for joining us in Thursdays Favorite Things Blog Hop! With His grace, wishing you peace and many blessings to you and yours... Carla

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Tip! Thank you for your bloggy friendship and for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a bag of cherries in the fridge that I will pit this way tomorrow. I'm so glad I waited instead of having to cut them all up today. Hopped over from Food on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Judee,
    What a great tip for the Cherries, we can always use some help with the pits. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  19. My kids are going to love this! Thanks for the tip, and for spotting the cherry link!

    Again, thanks for linking to Food on Fridays with your creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How clever! My son loves cherries, but makes a huge mess spitting out the pits. Thanks for linking this cool tip with See Ya In the Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cool frugal idea! I have a cherry pitter, but it was expensive - your idea is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How lady like of Fay... I usually get juice all down the front of me and the person across the table. Please say thank you to your friend for me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome! Now any chance this could work with olives?

    ReplyDelete
  24. So smart of you! Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great way to pit cherries. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly