Thursday, December 6, 2012

Homemade Apple Sauce

                                   
                                       
                                         
Homemade applesauce is very popular during Hanukkah. It is the perfect topping for the homemade potato latkes ( pancakes) which we eat during the holiday. It is fast and easy to make, and it tastes absolutely delicious.  I'm sharing my friend Paula's recipe which is made from a combination of apples and pears.

Ingredients
8 medium Winesap ( or other cooking) apples
1 Bartlett pear
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup water
1-2 tsp. cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla ( my addition)
Peel ( I didn't)  core and cut the fruit into chunks. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook partially covered for 20 to 25 minutes, until tender


Cut up apples and pear ( I left the skin on since my fruit was organic)
             Do you eat your latkes covered in applesauce or sour cream?
Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful applesauce and will be perfect with tiganites the Greek latkes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for introducing me to "tiganites". I adore Greek Food and just looked a recipe for this pancake. Looks fabulous. thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment

      Delete
  2. This is so yummy indeed.. Lately, I was making raw apples with honey and cinnamon, but I will make this my new project too...
    Best Reviews for New Zealand Green Kiwi fruit information

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - I love the feedback and interaction