Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My Best Ever Hanukkah Potato Latkes are baked not fried


baked potato latkes
Baked Latkes
potato latkes on plate on gluten free a-z blog
Fried grated potato and carrot latkes
 My Best Ever Hanukkah potato latkes are baked, not fried. The first night of Hanukkah I invited our extended family over to celebrate the holiday.. I made four different kinds of latkes: three were fried and one was baked .Believe it or not the favorite of the crowd, which I am now calling my best ever Hanukkah latkes, were  the " Baked Latkes"
The choices were  Harriet's fried Blender Potato latkes ( vegan alternative) , Weight Watcher style sauteed broccoli slaw latkes, coconut oil fried grated potato/.carrot latkes and my potato cheese baked latkes ( recipe below) ! Don't get me wrong, they were all good, and not one of the sixty latkes were left over , but everyone loved the baked potato cheese latkes!

Next year, I'm sticking with this baked version! After all frying is very time consuming, really smells up the house, your clothes, etc. and personally I don't like to eat fried food because I need to lose weight. So there you have it. Baked in my house is best!

Ingredients:

6 large baking potatoes (about 750 g), peeled and grated
2 carrots, grated
1 cup of grated cheese ( I used Parmesan that I hand grated,can't use the powdery stuff) 
3 eggs
5 scallions, finely chopped 
Salt, freshly ground pepper


Grate potatoes and carrots. Wring as much liquid from them as possible. It is easiest in a clean tea towel - .Stir  together all ingredients well. 

Preheat oven to 425. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil. Be sure to spray with a little oil or the latkes my stick. Drop tablespoons full and flatten somewhat onto the cookies sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes-20 minutes until crispy.   Take them out and serve immediately. Top with Plain Greek Yogurt or homemade applesauce.


Grate potatoes  and carrots ( I did mine by hand  but you can use your food processor )
and wring out water
carrot, potato, eggs, and grated cheese mixture
                               
Baked Latkes

                                                   



Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth- they are really good even though they are not fried.

      Delete
  2. These look yummy! I just have that egg and cheese issue...otherwise! Happy Chanukah! Regards to your family!!!

    Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, these do have eggs in them and well it's vital to the recipe

      Delete
  3. Cannot wait to try this!! i HATE frying them!
    BLessings!
    http://bit.ly/YFde7k

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I never thought about baking them. Good change!! Please share this at Foodtastic Friday and Friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Christmas cactus is blooming too -- love it. Baked latkes is a great idea, thanks for sharing this recipe on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great day and come back real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miz Helen,
      Thanks for hosting a great party every week!

      Delete
  7. this looks deelish, and i can not WAIT to house some latkes this weekend when i got to my mom's house. hers are fried though, and the smell attaches to you, lol. happy chanukah!
    b

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had latkes but they look and sound amazing. I love that you bake yours rather than frying them. So much healthier! Thanks for linking up with us at Delicious Dish Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is the cheese vital to the recipe to bind them together for baking?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly