Thursday, April 25, 2013

Spanish Chickpea Soup ( vegan)



                             
 This Spanish Chickpea Soup is very simple to make and provides a delicious high protein meal that that sticks to the ribs, has lots of spices for antioxidants, and an interesting lemony flavor.

Antioxidants are especially important to boost the immune system during the change of seasons.
What we eat does make a difference in the way we feel.. It's no surprise that so many ethnic favorites are so good for you.

I don't know why this is called Spanish soup, when the spices could just as well depict an Indian flavor.
Both cultures take advantage of the rich antioxidants that both cumin and turmeric provide.

You may notice the beautiful color of the soup. That is reflective of the yellow, rich bronze , and red of all the ingredients. You may have read that the more colors we eat , the healthier we will be. Spices add color and nutrients to all of our food. Ethnic food boasts a wide variety of spices. Enjoy this health giving soup.

Spanish Chickpea Soup

Ingredients 
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 stalks of celery, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin  
  • 1 red pepper , diced
  • 1 large potato diced
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 2 cups chopped tomato
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 6 cups water
  • salt and pepper


Directions:
Sautee the onion, celery, and garlic in the olive oil for 5 minutes. . Add the spices and saute for another 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes , red pepper, potato, zucchini,  lemon juice & the cooked chickpeas and bring to the boil for a few minutes. Add broth and water and then cook covered on medium until vegetables are soft. Eat as is or use an immersion blender to puree. 

Spices are loaded with antioxidants and very healthy


Pin ItPlease leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

sauteed vegetables with turmeric and cumin


stove top cooked chick peas




Fresh vegetables
my herbs are growing...

If you are new to my blog, we can keep in touch. 
  •  follow me on Twitter where I post a least 8-10  gluten free recipes a week that are in addition to what's on my blog and 
  • follow me on Pinterest for all my great Pinterest finds! They are the best!
  • If you are not already following me  on Google Friends Connect.  I'll always follow you back!
  • Or subscribe to my site by email and never miss one of my recipes.
Thanks for stopping by.

To be shared on the following blog carnivals: 

Monday

Tuesday

13 comments:

  1. This looks so amazing! Exotic and comforting, all at the same time, and with beautiful colors and lots of nutrition ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup does sound delicious. I imagine it would seem more Spanish if it wasn't vegetarian as I think I have had a similar soup in spain but it had chorizo in as well, which of course is typically Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right. I've seen other recipes with chorizo .

      Delete
  3. Judee, this lots rich and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color of your soup is defintely eye-catching. And packed full of health benefits! My son would love it--he is crazy about chickpeas and always has been. He used to call them chicken pebbles.

    Thank you for sharing at this week's potluck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for your son that he likes something that is so good for him. Hope he enjoys the soup.

      Delete
  5. This has lots of my favourite ingredients! I will have to try it now we're coming into winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds yummy. I love the addition of turmeric, it also adds a beautiful color. I have it but I only use it in a few recipes. I have to try incorporating it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, healthy soup. Just what I need at the moment while I'm desperately trying to get over a bad cold. I love your gorgeous little herb garden! So pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's my kind of soup! Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We made this soup tonight. My husband and I both enjoyed it, however I felt it was slightly too acidic. I think that next time I made it I will add a little bit of sugar to balance the acid and possibly cut back some of the lemon juice. So good though! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rebecca,
    . We are big lemon lovers and use it in everything, so we may not have noticed.Good suggestion. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly