Monday, May 20, 2013

Pancake and Fruit Kabobs SRS









Are these pancake and fruit  kabobs cute or what? All you have to do to create this beautiful breakfast presentation is simply make silver dollar pancakes ( recipe follows) and assemble on a skewer with strawberries, blackberries or any fruit or berry of your choice. Top with an easy recipe for homemade butter pecan syrup ( recipe follows) and enjoy.

This fun recipe is from a blog called, Michelle's Tasty Creations. 

Michelle' Tasty Creations is my partner this month for this month's Surprise Recipe Swap. As a participant,  I was secretly assigned to go through Michelle's blog, select a recipe to make, and not post it until today, which is the day all the participants reveal their recipes. All the recipes can be viewed at the roundup

Michelle's recipe for pancakes easily adapted to gluten free by just changing the flour which I changed to oat flour which I made myself in the Vitamix. I simply put gluten free oats ( I get them at Trader Joe's)  in the Vitamix and whizzed 2-3 times. It instantly turned into flour.

Michelle also had a recipe for a butter pecan syrup that did not need any adjusting since all the ingredients were already gluten free.
                         

I made the syrup first, then the pancakes and then assembled.It was easy to do and looked super!! The butter pecan syrup was outstanding and complemented the fresh fruit. I didn't have any strawberries , so I used the fresh blackberries and opened a bag of frozen berries from Trader Joe's .
This is my favorite frozen fruit. It has big plump cherries in it ( Trader Joe's) 
It would have been more colorful with the strawberries- next time I'll use them too.  It was really  a delicious breakfast.


pancakes with pecan syrup

Without syrup


I will definitely be a regular visitor to Michelle's blog, and I know I will be trying lots of her recipes. The Broccoli Cheddar Soup is next on my list to try.

This Surprise Recipe Swap is being hosted by Jutta at Hungry Little Girl.  

 Here's what you need for the Pancake Kabobs:

1-1/2 cups whole oat flour ( I made in my Vitamix. )
1-1/2 Tbs. maple syrup ( or other substitute) 
1 Tbs. baking powder
1 egg, at room temperature ( or egg substitute)
3 Tbs. butter, unsalted, melted
1-1/4 coconut milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup fresh strawberries, quartered ( I didn't have any- would look more colorful with the strawberries)
1/2 cup fresh blackberries, washed
Skewers

Directions: 
Mix the oat flour, baking powder,  in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients and add to the dry. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to ladle out the batter for each  mini pancake onto a greased electric fry pan . Allow the little bubble to form and pop and then flip. Cook a few more minutes on the other side until done. Makes about 30 silver dollar pancakes. Assemble onto skewers starting with a pancake, a peice of fruit, and then a pancake and peice of fruit. My skewers were short, but you could find longers skewers for a longer kabob.

 Homemade Butter Pecan Syrup:
1 cup maple syrup of your choice, I used Trader Joe's Organic Pure Maple Syrup
2 Tbs. butter
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
Directions: 
Comine ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil and then simmer  on very low heat to let the flavors mingle for about 5 minutes.

.

Want to find out how you can participate in the Surprise Recipe Swap?  click on the badge below.
                                                         HungryLittleGirl


The Surprise Recipe Swap is hosted by Jutta at Hungry Little Girl where you can visit and see all the participant's recipe roundup.

/ 


Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

10 comments:

  1. Judee,
    I'm so glad you like the Pancake and Fruit Kabobs! Yours look delicious. Thank you so much for the kind words too. I can't wait to check out your blog as everything sounds delicious :) Let me know how you like the broccoli cheddar soup.

    Have a wonderful day.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I had breakfast already before I saw this, I am going to make some for lunch :) I love everything on a stick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Judee,
    This looks fantastic! I love breakfast foods, pancakes and fruit being my top faves! Making me hungry already. Tomorrow morning can't get here soon enough, haha
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi~ Thanks for stopping by Turnips 2 Tangerines:) I love these Pancake and Fruit Kabobs! My Grandson will flip for these and they live near a Trader Joe's also:) (then I can pick up a box of Kona Coffee Cookies) now following~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. How gorgeously decadent (and cute!) these look.. Pecans and fruit are a lovely combination. I think I'd need mine with a bit of ice cream though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judee, these look so yummy & fun to eat. My boys would flip for these :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a creative way to serve pancakes! Looks like such fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pancakes, but don't make them nearly enough! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun way to serve pancakes. Thanks for linking up and sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious looking recipe! I'm trying so hard to go completely gluten free, but it sure is hard! Thanks so much for sharing at Saturday Spotlight.

    April
    Angels Homestead

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly