Sunday, July 14, 2013

Halushki ( Buttered Cabbage and Noodles)

noodles and cabbage

              Halushki or buttered noodles and cabbage( or its vegan alternative) is one of those recipes that the sum of its parts definitely creates a dish that tastes better than each of its parts alone. 

Eastern European Ethnic Recipe
My mother used to make this comforting Eastern European ethnic recipe when I was a growing upIt was a simple recipe, but we all loved it. In addition, it was very economical to make, very easy, and good for you.

Haluski is made with fresh green cabbage which is a nutritionally a dense power food with immune building antioxidants and a high fiber content.. Mixed with gluten free brown rice noodles (I get mine at Trader Joe's for $1.99 bag - organic and sodium free)  , it is one tasty dish and inexpensive too! As the Cookie Princess says in her post,"  It may not be the prettiest thing to look at but boy is it tasty" 


  Vegan Alternative
Although it is traditionally made with butter, I found that coconut oil works just as well. In fact, I tried it both ways , and each  was a little different but equally good.

 The cabbage has a very mild flavor in this dish. And although the recipe may seem a little heavy on the fat, the recipe makes a large casserole that could feed 10-12 people as a side dish. Divide the fat by 12 and it's not too bad

Low carb alternative
I haven't tried it yet with zoodles ( zucchini noodles), but I be it would be delicious as well as low carb. 

Ingredients:
1 medium cabbage, cored ( see picture below) and chopped
1 package of Gluten Free Noodles ( I got mine at Trader Joe's)
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 stick of butter ( or 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil)
salt and pepper to taste and any other herbs you like to taste

Directions:
Cook the noodles in salted water, drain and set aside.
Core and chop the cabbage ( see pics)
Chop the onion
In a large skillet, saute the onion and butter ( or coconut oil)  and add the chopped cabbage. Cook down, stirring constantly,  for about 5 minutes until cabbage is tender. Add the noodles and mix well together. Saute for another 5 minutes and serve. I seasoned mine with 21 Salute salt free seasoning with 21 herbs ( from Trader Joe's) If you don't have it, just use cracked pepper and salt.
   
a head of cabbage cut in half
Cut cabbage in half
Cut out the hard core
                                                 
                     Place cabbage and onions in large skillet and saute in butter or coconut oil                  
Mix in the gluten free cooked noodles in the skillet with the cabbage and onions
Place in a serving dish , grate raw carrot on top to give it a little color, and serve!
                                                 
       An interesting side note: A friend from the Ukraine told me that in her country they call stuffed cabbage by the name" Halushki.". So, I was curious and asked her what they call this buttered noodle and cabbage dish.. She replied, we call it " buttered noodles and cabbage".. so there you have it.

My Notes: 
I hadn't made this recipe in years, in fact I had never even remembered the recipe until I saw the recipe on  Secrets From The Cookie Princess ; my Secret Recipe Club partner for the month of July.

 The Cookie Princess,  has an incredible blog whose recipes really intrigued me. I was tempted by her Baked Zucchini Fries, her  Individual Baked Oatmeal Cups, and Crispy Quinoa Bites , but,  I couldn't resist making her Haluski ( buttered noodles and cabbage recipe, which brought back such fond memories from my childhood- so this is the recipe I chose to make for this month's club.


Do you make this? What do you call it? Leave a comment!


To be shared on some of the following blog carnivals:  Blog Carnivals




 Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.


21 comments:

  1. I've had a recipe like this set aside to try for a while now. Thanks for the reminder. Nice cooking with you on SRC. Loved the recipe I chose from your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judee,
    I just love a dish like this, it looks delicious. Hope you have a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting and choosing this dish from my blog! I'm so glad you knew what it was! :) Definitely a family favorite for us, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haluski is one of my favorite dishes. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great. I made a similar recipe before with cabbage, spaghetti and sausage and it was good. Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not heard of this dish...I do know that I love cabbage and noodles, so there it is....in the queue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! I love cabbage (especially because it is inexpensive!) but have difficulty finding a lot of recipes for it. I'm definitely trying this, looks great tasting and easy to make!

    Taylor (My Kids Guide)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was so tasty! We ate it along with a salad for a light dinner. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fried cabbage and I bet it's awesome paired with pasta. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I would have never thought of pairing cabbage and noodles, cabbage and the onions I have made. But this would be more filling and grest on a tight budget. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH... I haven't made this in a while...going to have to do it again soon. I have added sausage for the meat lovers in my family. Thanks for sharing
    (Stopping by from Becolorful )

    ReplyDelete
  13. My family loves cooked cabbage in butter and I think this will be a nice change. You can't beat noodles. Thank you for sharing it on our BBQ Block Party.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Judee, This looks delicious. Found your link on Wonderful Food Wednesday. Have a wonderful day. Blessings, Catherine

    P.S.
    Now following

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love cabbage this sounds so good and its so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm....love cabbage! I bet this is divine! Thanks for linking up to Give Me the Goods! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cabbage is so very good for you, and this really does look like comfort food. I love family recipes. One of our friends served a pasta dish once that involved noodles and cabbage - I think it may have been similar to your Halushki and it sure was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love being reminded of old favorites! Sometimes it takes looking for something new to rediscover an old favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this sounds like a fantastic recipe - love cabbage! I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUM!! LOVE Cabbage and noodles and butter :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This dish is delicious and we will really enjoy it! Thanks so much for sharing your post with us at Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly