Sunday, July 21, 2013

Have Cracked Heels? This works




I have finally found a DIY  formula that worked for my severely dry and cracked heels. The formula is a combination of something I had already been doing plus something new I found on a Pinterest post.

 At first I thought the Pinterest post was really odd. It recommended using mouthwash like Listerine  to help fix cracked heals. I was doubtful, but at the same time curious because I have had a lifelong battle with dry rough heels that frequently crack and hurt. 

 Well, believe it or not, the Listerine remedy plus what I had already been doing worked for me and transformed my heals into soft nice heals.

Although this remedy has been working for me, it didn't work the first time I used it. !! It took about 4 times of using the Listerine before I began to see some positive results.

Basically It's a DIY easy "foot soak"  that can be made up in just 30 seconds!! It's that simple!. In fact, I'm soaking in it right now, as I write this post. In addition, it's also a very cooling and soothing  soak for hot and tired feet.  

Don't think I haven't already tried many other  remedies over the years-
  1. I've done the Vaseline every night and white socks.routine. Helped a little, but didn't heal the cracks, and it's hard to sleep with socks in the summer. 
  2. Vaseline and plastic bags tied over the feet. Forget that one, you could really get hurt on a bathroom run, very slippery.
  3.  Over the counter foot creams and "as seen on TV products- Also, didn't do anything, I guess my feet are too resistant; I need more than a cream
  4.  Prescription cream- DID NOTHING
  5. Regular Pedicures- polished toes look great,  but it barely helps my heals
  6. A Microplane shaver- this is what has always worked the best for me. It does a great job taking off the really dry hard skin and works better than a pedicure. This has always been the best solution, but I still needed something to soften the heals as well.  In combination, this new soak and regular use of the microplaner really softened and healed the cracks.
  7. .I used  THE ORIGINAL Microplane Colossal Foot File Pedicure Rasp Pink  microplaner.
Here is what I do that works:
  • I use a simple mouthwash foot soak  3-4  times a week ( now only twice a week) 
  • the microplane tool twice a week to remove hard dry skin
  • a little cream afterward microplaning  


 Here is what a microplane looks like:  THE ORIGINAL Microplane Colossal Foot File Pedicure Rasp Pink

My heels are finally looking good and I'm thrilled.
.If your heels are not really that bad , you probably only need to soak once a week and microplane once a week.

The DIY Magical Foot Soak Recipe: 
  • 1/2 cup clear uncolored Listerine (actually any mouthwash will do)  However, don't use blue colored mouthwash; it will make your feet blue (really, it did !!) 
  • 1/2 cup Vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
  • 1 cup Water or more
  • 1 foot basin 
Mix the uncolored Listerine, Vinegar, and water. Soak for 20 minutes.. Use a loofah to remove any dead skin. Wash off feet..

                                                           
Listerine, vinegar, water 
                   
                   

                 
Before ( ouch!!)
                       
                  
AFTER  
Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor. The information in this post is for educational purposes only. I am simply sharing what worked for me. Always check with your doctor before trying anything new.    
               

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

33 comments:

  1. Wow! This is worth a try. The older I get, the worse the cracked, dry heels and those pedicures are expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This works better for the dryness and cracking than a pedicure

      Delete
  2. I use a cream specifically for the feet (there are many good ones) RELIGIOUSLY after every shower or bath; I have done this for several years and it has kept my feet in amazing shape. I'm excited to try your recipe in between pedicures.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the cream please?

      Delete
    2. The person who commented about " the cream" that she used commented in 2013. I doubt she will see your question. I hope she does! - the administrator

      Delete
  3. Did you mean heels ?
    Do you take Cod liver oil? ~ a wonderful source of
    Vit A & D...

    Good recipe if it works !

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really a difference. I saw this on Pinterest and was wondering if it worked. How nice to have a real testimony.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked for me, but as I said , not the first time. I had to soak for about 4 days before I saw any real results

      Delete
  5. uncolored listerine? I have seen gold and green/blue. I have never seen a clear one. Dang it. I do microplane as well as getting that done at the salon but this sounds wonderful and less expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are right, it is the gold color

      Delete
    2. There is a clear version now-Listerine Naturals

      Delete
  6. Hmmm, I wonder if this will help my dry, cracking skin on the tops of my big toes? I can scrub it off with a pumice stone, but it comes right back. I think I'll try it with just vinegar first, since I hate the smell of Listerine.

    The fact that Listerine and/or vinegar works implies that your dry skin is caused by some sort of bacteria. On the other hand, it might be about having the right kind of acid to soften the skin. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very interesting! I'm happy to hear that it actually works, thanks for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's amazing! Don't you sometimes wonder how people come up with something like this? I mean, who would think to soak their feet in Listerine, lol!

    I have heard of this before and also heard not to soak your feet in it for too long. But obviously 20 minutes is fine as you did it that long! :)

    Thanks for linking up to "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a big fan of flip-flops so this is good info to know. By the end of the summer my feet are pretty gross and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on my feet a lot for my job. It's really done a number on my feet, including cracked/rough skin on my heels. Thanks for sharing,Judee. Will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is terrific. I recently tried one using Epson salts. I'm pinning this! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to try this Judee, Thanks for sharing with Herath and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really interesting! I don't have Listerine around but I do have vinegar, maybe I'll try that first. My feet always get dry in summer since I'm barefoot all the time ;)

    Thanks so much for sharing it on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, I’ve pinned it : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is interesting! I always have horribly cracked heals. However we don't use mouthwash. Off to google what's in it, maybe I can find an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listerine now makes a colorless mouthwash without dyes. I 'm not sure about the rest of the ingredients. If you find a good substitute please share with me.

      Delete
  15. So informative! Love the simplicity of the healing fix. Thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are welcome. I hope that this simple formula for healing cracked heals will work for you too. It was quite a transformation..

      Delete
  16. Wow, amazing difference and all with ingredients that most of us have! Thanks for linking this up at Think Tank Thursday. I have featured this great tip today. http://www.saving4six.com/2013/07/welcome-to-think-tank-thursday-41.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad I found this! I was going to try the Vaseline and plastic bags tonight. I never thought about it being slippery. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My feet are worse in the summer because I wear sandals or go barefoot. My husband used his dremel on my feet once, when I suggested it, because they were so rough. It worked well, but not something to do every day. I've been curious about this remedy. I'm glad to know it actually works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know , I saw the remedy for a long time before I actually tried it. It worked well for me.

      Delete
  19. Haven't heard about the Listerine fix. I'll have to remember that. I've also heard that coconut oil works too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet,
      It's all over Pinterest. That's where I got the idea. It sounded so intriguing that I had to try it. I was pleased with the results. But it did take a little time and effort.

      Delete
  20. Wow, this was an amazingly helpful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This DIY remedy worked for me, but it takes a little time.

      Delete
  21. For several years I worked in a solan doing Manicures and pedicures.
    The worst case I saw was cracks that were painfully deep to see & the pad on both of her feet under bone of big toes was severely cracked.
    I asked her to come in once a week for at least 1 month & if nothing changes she can go on her way.

    She did. Through the soaking the wrapping feet with warm towels after saturation with olive oil or coconut oil then filing & the Big 🗝️factor was massaging We saw amazing results.

    Within a year there was no trace on those severe cracks on her pads the cracks on her heals were gone within 2 months.

    The messages get the oxygen, Circulation & Blood flowing.

    Same as when you run into something if you immediately start massaging around the area you will find their is little to no bruising.

    Great article & thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Soak in Epsom salt. Dry feet. Apply castor oil. It will.be thick and messy. Cover with socks. Repeat as needed. It is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly