Sunday, September 15, 2013

Black Bean Brownies ( SRC)





These Black bean brownies are one of the easiest and tastiest gluten free/ grain free desserts I have ever made. If you are a true chocolate lover, you will go Gag a over these brownies. 

The batter is prepared in the blender, so they are ridiculously quick to make. In addition, they can be baked in parchment paper, so there is no pan to clean. Unfortunately, the day I made them, I did not have any parchment paper, so I had a cleanup.

                                        


Many gluten free recipes use beans instead of flour for cakes. I don't know why or how, but the black beans make the brownies moist and super super fabulous. They taste rich and fudgy despite being grain free.

This recipe is a no brainer.
It's easy ( I made it  in the blender), healthy ( lots of fiber and protein) and delicious ( smooth, creamy, and fudgy).  No one will ever know about the beans if you don't tell them. Shh! it's our secret...

Adapted the recipe from C Mom Cook, 


Shelley's Ingredients with a few adaptions
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (I used a 15 ounce can - measured out perfectly)
 I used 1/4 cup olive oil  or oil of your choice 
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup light brown sugar ( I used coconut palm crystals) 
1 teaspoon instant ground cinnamon
1/4 + 1/4 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Shelley's Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9″ x 9″ (8″ x 8″ works too) baking pan by lining it with parchment paper. Leave enough parchment paper on the sides to create a sling. This will make it easier when you lift out the end product.

Add all of the wet ingredients – beans, oil, eggs, and vanilla – together in a bowl. Using an immersion blender, pulse the mixture a few times to get the ingredients to come together. Then blend fully until the mixture is smooth.  ( I used the regular blender--) 

Add the dry ingredients – cocoa, coconut palm crystals ( or sugar) , cinnamon and baking powder to the bowl. Again with the immersion blender, pulse a few times again and blend until the mixture is smooth.

 Add half of the chocolate chips (this is where I used the mini chips). Pulse a few times again and blend until the mixture is smooth. The chocolate chips do not have to completely disintegrate.


Add the other half of the chocolate chips to the mixture. Fold in the chips with a spatula (do not blend). You want these chips to remain whole. Alternatively, reserve the chips to sprinkle on top before baking. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. If you chose to reserved the chips, sprinkle them on now. Bake for about 20-23 minutes, until the center is set - do not over bake.

Allow the brownie to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Lift the brownies from the pan using the parchment paper and transfer it to a cooling rack to cook completely.  Cut them into squares and enjoy!

***To see the many other healthy gluten free recipes, healthy living tips, kitchen and blogging ideas that I pin or tweet each day, follow me on Pinterest Gluten Free A-Z  and Twitter .

Please leave me a comment. It introduces me to your blog,  and I usually visit your blog and follow on G+, Twitter, or subscribe. Thanks so much for visiting.

Will be shared on some of the following blog carnivals: Blog Carnivals





Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

26 comments:

  1. I made these for the 1st time a while ago and was blown away! So good!!! Stopping by from SRC! Great choice!

    xoxo from Trinidad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love black bean brownies! It's so amazing how good they are and nobody guesses they're made with beans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make black bean brownies! I've had them before but have never made them myself. Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making black bean brownies! They are so good. Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great way to sneak some fiber in dessert. Need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to try this. Love the (healthy) idea of black beans instead of a flour. And naturally gluten free, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yay! I am so glad that you were able to find something you enjoyed over at my blog. Your black bean brownies look rich and delicious. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been meaning to try these! It seems unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never had the nerve to use the black beans but if you did it, I think, I am brave enough to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard of these and every time I see them, they look fabulous! Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been dying to try this idea... I need to get around to it! Yours look so fudgy and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Judee,
    I sure would enjoy one of these brownies for my bedtime treat. A great selection for the SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judee, these sound awesome! I love black bean brownies but sometimes they come out a bit crumbly. These look dense, rich, and super chocolate-y. Win-win-win!

    Amy | Club Narwhal

    ReplyDelete
  14. This seems different than some of the other black bean brownie recipes I've seen and I'm not sure why I think these will be better. I've really got to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds good! I hope to try these soon. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I have another healthy brownie recipe; it's called Sweet Potato Brownies and is also GF.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judee,I have seen several dessert recipes lately that use black beans and to be honest it makes me nervous but after reading your awesome post you have convinced me to give it a try. I am an ardent lover of brownies and to think that maybe I could still completely enjoy them and they would be healthy - well who can resist that! I am so glad that you shared on our transformed Four Seasons Party!
    Easy Life Meal & Party Planning

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a huge fan of chocolate. This is making my mouth water maybe because it looks like it is made of chocolate. I am definitely going to try this one out and let you know how it went :-)
    Hope it does not leave me with any pimple anything :-(

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always been curious to try black bean brownies. The fact that this recipe uses a blender for the batter really interests me. Thank you for linking up, Judee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm always glad to read your recipes, and this one is no exception. I've pinned it to my Gluten Free Baking board. Thanks for linking up to #RFF :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whoever thought of putting blank beans into brownies? It sounds really intriguing though.. I'm suddenly dying to try it - with the red beans I have laying around in the kitchen xP

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look wonderful! I've made black bean brownies before and loved them, but misplaced my recipe. I'm definitely going to have to give these a try :)

    Thanks so much for sharing this on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, Judee, I've pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I sure am glad that you brought these awesome Brownies to share with us today. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you are having a great weekend!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Would love to try these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fantastic recipe - no one would guess the ingredients! I am so delighted that you shared with Home and GardenThursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing on the what's for dinner link up.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly