Friday, October 25, 2013

Cider Glazed Butternut Squash


Cider Glazed Butternut Squash



This Cider Glazed Butternut squash dish is an amazing recipe. It has just two ingredients and is very easy to make. A perfect Paleo healthy side for Thanksgiving. You could use sweet potatoes or any kind of winter squash. Just cube and roast or steam.

I was short on time. Since steaming vegetables is a faster method, I steamed. I could have just as well have roasted the cubed squash by tossing the cubes in a little olive oil and then roasting on 400 degrees for about 25-30  minutes; steaming took about 15 minutes.

Steaming makes the squash softer and moister; Roasting is a little sweeter and firmer. Either way it is delicious; It's your choice! It kind of tasted like a candied yam. It's a way to go without any added sugar.

If you are entertaining a crowd for Thanksgiving, this Paleo side dish works really well because it's allergy friendly and Weight Watcher Friendly.

  • Gluten free/grain free
  • Dairy free
  • Egg free
  • Nut free. 
  • Low in calories and fat. 
  • A  cup portion, if steamed without oil, is only 1 Point Plus.

I made it for company tonight and there was not a morsel left over.

I saw the recipe on a blog called Oh My Veggies and couldn't wait to make it. It was very easy, but made a great presentation. I was happy to find yet another way to make butternut squash or yams.

Ingredients: 
6 cups of cubed butternut squash ( or yams)
1/2 cup spiced apple cider ( got mine at Trader Joe's)
Optional: cinnamon

Instructions: 
Place steamer basket in a large pot with lid. Add cubed squash or yams. Steam for about 15 minutes until vegetable is soft. In a separate pan bring the apple cider to a boil. Allow the liquid to reduce until you have a thickened glaze. Remove vegetable and drizzle with the glaze. ( or I cooked my squash in the apple cider for the last 5 minutes. Serve in a flat Pyrex of other dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
chopped Butternut squash
Raw and Ready to steam or roast

Will be shared on some of the following blog carivals: blog carnivals

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

25 comments:

  1. I am always looking for new ways to prepare Butternut Squash. This apple-cider glazed recipes sounds delicious. I plan to try it soon. I am also pining and sharing this dish! Glad I found your blog via Let's Get Fresh Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi deborah,
      I hope you enjoy the recipe.. it's a winner

      Delete
  2. This recipe looks so yummy!! I will definitely give it a try.
    Thank you for sharing it at my blog carnival, Let's Get Fresh Fridays @ The Wholesome Life. I'm sure my readers will enjoy this recipe as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you on Show Stopper Saturday! I have a butternut squash just waiting for a yummy recipe to try and I found it! Going to make this tonight! Pinned it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it and thanks for pinning it

      Delete
  4. Thanks Judee for the recipe. I love squash!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love butternut squash SO much! I've been testing Thanksgiving recipes like crazy and this is going in the arsenal! Thanks for sharing with us at Saturday Night Fever!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too.. hope you like the recipe

      Delete
  6. What a lovely way to serve squash! The cider would make it so flavourful.Thank you for sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfectly simple and delicious recipe to make. I may prepare this fdish or Thanksgiving dinner. I am so glad I found this recipe on Hearth and Soul Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making it to bring to my daughter in law for Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  8. This sounds yummy, and would make a great lunch dish, too. Sometimes, I'll roast a sweet potato and eat that for lunch with some coconut oil and coconut sugar mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for a glaze. I am always using honey, coconut oil or olive oil. I can't wait to try using apple cider. Pinning it for tonight's dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. roast it with olive or coconut oil, glaze it with apple cider and even a little butter. I don't want the calories so I just use apple cider

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so perfect!! I love adding Chipotle powder to our yams or squash. That sweet and spicy is a perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really can't go wrong with a 2 ingredient side dish for Thanksgiving! Thank you for sharing, Judee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two of my favorite things...butternut squash and apple cider - this WILL be happening in my kitchen very soon. Thanks for sharing it with the 12 Weeks of Winter Squash!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds GREAT! Cider and Squash two of my fall faves!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cider glaze for the squash sounds fantastic! The two are a perfect pair!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judee,
    This looks perfect for a side dish that appeals to a variety of eaters! I like to roast my squash because I'm a sucker for that caramelization, and paired with the cider? How clever! I'm glad to follow you on Tasty Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted to say thanks for linking your recipe up to our Lovely Ladies link party, and to let you know I've featured them in a great round-up of Thanksgiving sides & appetizers. You can check it out if you'd like- http://bit.ly/18wRyOb
    Thanks so much- Molly from Just a Little Creativity

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Gluten Free A-Z and leaving a comment about my recipe. Your Comment makes my day!