Friday, October 25, 2013

Cider Glazed Butternut Squash


Cider Glazed Butternut Squash



This Cider Glazed Butternut squash dish is an amazing recipe. It is made with only two ingredients and is very easy to make. 

I used butternut squash, but you could substitute sweet potatoes or any kind of winter squash.

Musk Pumpkins, Cucurbita Moschata

It's as simple as 1-2-3. Just cube the vegetable and then roast or steam it.

Why I steamed my squash instead of roasting it

  • When I am short on time, steaming vegetables is a faster method than roasting.
  • I could have just as well have roasted the cubed squash by tossing the cubes in a little olive oil or aquafaba (see notes at end of post) and then roast them at 400 degrees for about 30  minutes. Steaming takes about 15 minutes.
  • Steaming makes the squash softer and moister; Roasting makes the squash a little sweeter but firmer. Either way it is delicious; It's your choice!


I find that this recipe tastes like a candied yam.
It's a great way to serve any winter squash or sweet potatoes without any added table sugar.




If you are entertaining, this recipe really works for most guests because it is not only gluten free and vegan, but also allergy friendly.

  • Gluten free/grain free
  • Dairy free
  • Egg free
  • Nut free. 
  • Low in calories and low in fat. 
Perfect For Fall Holidays
I like to serve this recipe for Thanksgiving or even Rosh Hashana

I actually made it for company tonight and there was not a morsel left over.

Ingredients: 
6 cups of cubed butternut squash (or yams or any winter squash)
1/2 cup spiced apple cider (Trader Joe's)
Optional: sprinkle with cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice (link to DIY recipe)

Directions: 

Place steamer basket in a large pot with lid. Add cubed squash or yams. Steam for about 15 minutes until vegetable is soft. In a separate pan bring the apple cider to a boil. Allow the liquid to reduce until you have a thickened glaze. Remove vegetable and drizzle with the glaze. ( or I cooked my squash in the apple cider for the last 5 minutes. Serve in a flat Pyrex of other dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon.

chopped Butternut squash
Raw and Ready to steam or roast
Butternut squash

Notes:
1. Purchase pre-cut butternut squash to make this recipe even easier
2. Aquafaba is the liquid that is formed when cooking chickpeas or the liquid in a can of chickpeas. I use it instead of oil to roast vegetables (mostly to save calories). 




Read it now, pin it for later: Pin It

Wan't to be added to My blog list? Let me know








3K

Disclaimer: I am an affiliate for Amazon and receive a very small compensation when you buy anything from Amazon by clicking on to Amazon from my blog - This helps me defray the cost of my blog expenses. Thank you for your support.


3K+ Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

30 comments:

  1. I am always looking for new ways to prepare Butternut Squash. This apple-cider glazed recipes sounds delicious. I plan to try it soon. I am also pining and sharing this dish! Glad I found your blog via Let's Get Fresh Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi deborah,
      I hope you enjoy the recipe.. it's a winner

      Delete
  2. This recipe looks so yummy!! I will definitely give it a try.
    Thank you for sharing it at my blog carnival, Let's Get Fresh Fridays @ The Wholesome Life. I'm sure my readers will enjoy this recipe as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roseann,
      It is a side dish that would appeal to most readers especially for the fall or Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  3. Found you on Show Stopper Saturday! I have a butternut squash just waiting for a yummy recipe to try and I found it! Going to make this tonight! Pinned it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Judee for the recipe. I love squash!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love butternut squash SO much! I've been testing Thanksgiving recipes like crazy and this is going in the arsenal! Thanks for sharing with us at Saturday Night Fever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely way to serve squash! The cider would make it so flavourful.Thank you for sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfectly simple and delicious recipe to make. I may prepare this fdish or Thanksgiving dinner. I am so glad I found this recipe on Hearth and Soul Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making it to bring to my daughter in law for Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  8. This sounds yummy, and would make a great lunch dish, too. Sometimes, I'll roast a sweet potato and eat that for lunch with some coconut oil and coconut sugar mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for a glaze. I am always using honey, coconut oil or olive oil. I can't wait to try using apple cider. Pinning it for tonight's dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. roast it with olive or coconut oil, glaze it with apple cider and even a little butter. I don't want the calories so I just use apple cider

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so perfect!! I love adding Chipotle powder to our yams or squash. That sweet and spicy is a perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really can't go wrong with a 2 ingredient side dish for Thanksgiving! Thank you for sharing, Judee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two of my favorite things...butternut squash and apple cider - this WILL be happening in my kitchen very soon. Thanks for sharing it with the 12 Weeks of Winter Squash!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds GREAT! Cider and Squash two of my fall faves!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cider glaze for the squash sounds fantastic! The two are a perfect pair!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Judee,
    This looks perfect for a side dish that appeals to a variety of eaters! I like to roast my squash because I'm a sucker for that caramelization, and paired with the cider? How clever! I'm glad to follow you on Tasty Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted to say thanks for linking your recipe up to our Lovely Ladies link party, and to let you know I've featured them in a great round-up of Thanksgiving sides & appetizers. You can check it out if you'd like- http://bit.ly/18wRyOb
    Thanks so much- Molly from Just a Little Creativity

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks good and tasty!! Thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedMonthlyLinkParty 5. Shared.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a huge fan of butternut squash. It is a bit hard to cut though. This is why I love to buy it precut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I have a really good peeler that zips off the skin but some squashes can be very hard! Pre- cut works!!

      Delete
  20. This recipe looks delicious! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly