Monday, November 4, 2013

Paleo Roasted Onions and Butternut ( zero PP on WW)




Onions taste sweet, tender, and very delicious when roasted ( kind of like caramelized onions) . When roasted together with butternut squash, the mixture develops into a fabulous, filling side that is not only worthy enough to make for company, but it is also yummy enough to be served on Thanksgiving .

This gluten free, vegan, Paleo friendly recipe is easy to make, can be made in advance, and makes a lovely presentation . ( Perfect for when you have a mix of guests- and now-a-days who doesn't? : vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, or nut free. You won't have to worry about allergies, and all can indulge.)
It's also great just for your family for dinner. Most kids love it because butternut is a very sweet squash .
Since it's now squash season, take advantage of these healthy seasonal vegetables that are loaded with nutrients and health protecting antioxidants. If you are intimidated about peeling and cutting up the squash, you could take a short cut. I've seen many supermarkets offer packages of fresh cut up butternut that you can just take home and use. If you are more adventurous, cutting up the squash is not difficult, and I prefer cutting my own. A butternut squash can be kept in a cool place ( not refrigerator) for at least 2 weeks. So, it's there when you need it.

Eating real food translates into real health.

If you are watching your weight, butternut squash  is lower in calories and a great substitution for yams in most recipes.


Use a sharp peeler and peel . It takes me about 5 minutes
Doesn't the rich orange color look fabulous?


I have to apologize, I forgot to take a picture of the vegetables lined up on the cookie sheet.. before and after roasting..

Ingredients: 
4 cups of uncooked butternut squash, peeled and sliced on cubed
1 large onion, sliced in half moons
optional: 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and sliced into strips ( I added it)
coconut oil spray or coconut oil ( I get the spray at Trader Joe's)
1 tsp of Cinnamon

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 400
Place a piece of parchment paper on a large cookie sheet
Arrange the butternut squash on the parchment paper and spread the onions over the top. Add the red pepper strips too if desired.  Spray vegetables generously with coconut oil spray (Trader Joe's )
or generously brush with coconut oil. Dust with cinnamon (not too much)
Roast for about 30-40 minutes until the squash is tender checking after about 20 minutes and turn vegetables if needed.

I only have the after pictures:

Absolutely Delicious

Today's Quote: A true friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg even though he/she knows you are slightly cracked.   --Bernard Melzer 

Another side dish for a vegetarian or vegan Thanksgiving.
I truly love to read your comments, so please leave one. Blogging is lonely without them.

May be shared on some of the following blog carnivals: Blog Carnivals   

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

22 comments:

  1. I think we're on the same wavelength...I made butternut squash with onions today, as well! Slightly different, but... This sounds so tasty, love the option of cinnamon :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm this looks delish! I love butternut squash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophia,
      This como is great because the onions become sweat and if you add the cinnamon,,,yum

      Delete
  3. I was admiring this dish until I read Coconut Spray at Trader Joes. I almost got into the car to go there. Now, I can go back and kvell over the squash dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to love that Trader Joe's.. The coconut spray is great

      Delete
  4. Roasted veggies are my favorite side dishes. This looks so delicious. Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous side dish! I'm kind of in love with the butternut/onion combo myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never made butternut squash with onions, what a great recipe! Thanks for sharing at Four Seasons Blog Hop~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For your first time , you may want to buy it already cut up. I can be difficult to peel.

      Delete
  7. This looks great! I love butternut squash so I'll definitely have to try this. Thanks for sharing on WNWNW, I've pinned this :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love butternut squash and this recipe sounds like a winner. Thanks for sharing, Visiting from Real Food Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have had a great harvest of the Butternut from our garden this year. This looks like a great recipe! Hope you are having a great day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miz Helen,
      You are so fortunate to grow your own butternut.. what a treat~

      Delete
  10. I love roasted vegetables!!! And how perfect would this be for Thanksgivukkah??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love onions and they do roast up nicely… sounds great with the squash. Thanks for sharing this with us on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make a roasted butternut squash pizza (I know, it's not paleo, but the dough is sourdough) and I'm going to have to add onions ... and make this tonight! Thanks for the Inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the coconut oil spray from Trader Joe's but after purchasing it, I realized that it contains soy lecithin, an ingredient I don't want to ingest so I won't be buying it again. Recipe looks great, though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love finding new veggie recipes, so pinning to my veggie board. Thanks for sharing so much on Real Food Fridays.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly