Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Creamy Broccoli Soup

                           


I have always wanted to make a good cream of broccoli soup, but I wanted a recipe that doesn't use cream ( I just don't like dairy based creamed soups) .

 I finally found a recipe that I like and that is healthy too.  The creaminess comes from the blended vegetables.

It's a perfect gluten free soup because it doesn't call for any flour. Its relatively fast and easy to make and can be made from ingredients you already have in your kitchen.

I enjoy broccoli soup because it's light, and I can eat it in the winter or in warmer weather.

I was inspired by the broccoli soup recipe on a blog called soup spice everything nice
This is my adaptation for a vegetarian version with vegan adaptations. Of course all of my soups meet gluten free standards.

Ingredients

2 Tbsp of coconut oil 
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 single rib of celery, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large head of broccoli cut into florets or (16 oz. bag of frozen broccoli florets)
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
salt, black pepper and pepper to taste


Directions

Put the coconut oil and onion into a 3 quart soup pot. Saute until onions begins to get translucent. Add garlic, celery, and carrot and sautee until vegetables are tender. Add broccoli, water and vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and lower the heat to a simmer for 20 minutes. Use an immersion blender to  puree the soup. Season to taste with salt, black pepper . Serve hot.




 ***can be made for Passover because this recipe is grain free

Pin It  Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.


  may be shared on a few of the following blog carnivals


Every Sunday Deb in Hawaii sponsors Souper Sunday.
Whenever I make soup or a salad, I always share it on  Souper Sundays.   
Deb has a great real food blog called Kahakai Kitchen
and on Sundays features soup and salad recipes that other bloggers submit..

                                      

9 comments:

  1. G'day! looks very healthy Judee!
    Thanks for sharing! Viewed as part of Foodie Friends Friday Nothing But Noodles Pasta Party!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the butter helps it to be creamy? Delicious looking soup. Thanks for bringing it to foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good creamy broccoli soup and this one looks fabulous--especially with all the cheese on top! ;-) Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Broccoli soup is a family favourite. Your version looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your broccoli soup although I understood that carrots have a lot of gluten. Can you tell me if I was misinformed? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gluten is found in wheat, barley, and rye but definitely not carrots - eat away!

      Delete
  6. I need to try this soup. While I love cream based soups, I'd rather avoid all the fat and get that creamy fix without it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. G'day! Love broccoli soups! YUM!
    View as party of this week's Foodie Friends Friends St Patrick's Day GREEN Recipes Party!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious - I've never tried, creamy brocolli soup - I appreciate you sharing your recipe! I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - I love the feedback and interaction

Printfriendly