What could be more appropriate for the health conscious eater than making a recipe using red beautiful beets.
If you adore beets, but hate the mess, then you are in for a treat. This is the easiest beet making recipe in the world and the tastiest way to eat them. It's so simple that you won't even have to peel them before cooking: Stay with me and trust me on this one!
As much as I love beets, I didn't make them for years because of the mess.. Now I make these heath giving, iron rich, sweet delicacies whenever I find a great looking bunch in the stores. I buy organic because they are very easy to find in most markets, and the price is not much different than the regular beet prices. ( but the organic are so much better) and most organic brands say, " GMO Free"
After roasting the whole beet ( unpeeled) in the oven, I quickly rubbed off the peel, cut them up, and made a beet salad with some fresh mint leaves,fresh lemon juice, and some crunchy chopped organic celery. It was easy and delicious. Of course the roasted beets were so sweet and tender, I could have just eaten them plain.
Fresh nutrient dense vegetables like beets are a perfect food on the gluten free diet. They provide great taste and great nutrition. This salad is light and delicious and makes an interesting side dish with just about any meal. For a real treat, put a tablespoon of Greek Yogurt over the beets.
2 large organic beets, roasted whole in their skin
1/4 cup of chopped fresh mint
Juice of a 1/2 fresh lemon
1/4 cup chopped organic celery ( celery is on the dirty dozen list, so I buy organic)
After roasting the beets whole in the oven, remove them and allow them to cool - then remove skin ( it will come off easily) .
Cut beets into large chunks. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over beets. Add chopped mint and chopped celery and mix well.
How to roast the beets:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Cut the beet from the greens ( very easy)
- Wash the unpeeled and uncut beets well
- Place them whole on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet, and roast at 425 degrees for about 45 minutes or until they are soft in the center ( amount of cooking time will depend on the size of your beets).
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Take a knife and cut in half lengthwise to make the heart effect - looks great doesn't it!
- To eat them, just use the back of a spoon or knife to easily remove the skin ( wear rubber gloves or not) and cut the beets up.
- slice beets and add the lemon juice, chopped mint, and chopped celery..
Power Up Your Diet ! Beets are an excellent source of immune building antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, including iron. In addition, they are very
- low in calories ( about 45 calories a cup)
- high in fiber
- have zero cholesterol
- almost no fat
- provide cardiovascular benefits
- rich in potassium
|slice to make it look like a heart|
Some of my additional vegan fresh beet recipes :
Beet and Orange Salad in White Balsamic Vinegar
Quinoa Lover's Salad with Roasted Beets
Medley of Roasted Winter acorn Squash and roasted beets
Hearty Beet Borscht Soup; Cold or hot
This post Will be shared on a few of the following blog carnivals
Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.
May be shared on the following blog carnivals
|cut beets from the greens and then trim off stems|
|Roast whole in oven at 425 degrees for about 45 minutes - 1 hour|
|Remove from oven, cool, and slice lengthwise to make hearts|
I will be sharing this beet salad on