Grated apple, grated fresh ginger, fragrant cinnamon, vanilla, organic oats, and nuts make this Apple pie oatmeal sensational and a healthy way to start the day.
Everyone says that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I agree, and I also think what you start out eating, sets the tone for what you eat the rest of the day.
If I start the day with fast carbs ( like pancakes ) , I feel bloated and crave more of the same all day long.
If I skip breakfast, then I end up really hungry and around 10:30 am and I start grabbing what ever is around
A good wholesome slow carb breakfast like oatmeal keeps my blood sugar stable and keeps me satisfied. ( Make sure you buy gluten free certified oats)
This recipe for apple pie oatmeal is fragrant flavorful and healthy. It is a tasty mix of fruit and oats with an aroma from the cinnamon and vanilla that is tantalizing. What's more, the recipe is quick and easy to make.
I've read many articles that say that oats are also good for helping to lower cholesterol. This oatmeal is high in fiber and rich in antioxidants. In addition, cinnamon can help stabilize blood sugar and the walnuts and chia seeds provide some Omega 3's.
Since reading the scientific studies about how nuts can help reduce your risk of developing diabetes, I always add walnuts to my oatmeal recipes.
- Why did I call the recipe apple pie flavored oatmeal? Because it contains many of the spices and ingredients of apple pie.
- Are oats gluten free? Yes, only if you buy oatmeal labeled " gluten free oats" which is found in most health food stores ( Trader Joe's has their own brand of gluten free oats) . Many with gluten intolerance tolerate gluten free oats; however, some may not. Organic oats are best!
- Which brand of gluten free oats do I buy? Gluten Free Oats
- Why aren't all oatmeal gluten free ? I wrote a blog post about oats last year. To understand why you need to purchase certified gluten free oatsl Read this
I make this recipe three different ways:
The absolutely most delicious way to make oatmeal is to make it overnight!
- Overnight oatmeal requires no cooking, so you have no mess and no pot to clean.
- Overnight oatmeal is eaten cold, so it tastes more like a delicious parfait.
- Overnight oatmeal is convenient because it's ready for you in the morning or for a real food snack anytime of the day.
- You can make multiple containers so your entire family can enjoy.
- You can make overnight oatmeal using different recipes for different flavors. I sometimes make blackberry or blueberry oatmeal or strawberry parfait oatmeal.
- It's always healthiest to soak oats for best digestibility. So, overnight oatmeal is a good choice.
- Overnight oatmeal is a perfect summer choice.
- Overnight oatmeal is great for when you have overnight guests- serve it for breakfast
However, in the winter, you may want a nice bowl of hot oatmeal. I have a really fast method for when I am in a hurry and don't want a dirty sticky pot to clean. To make the oatmeal quickly, I just combine the boiling water with the oats in a mug and then add all the ingredients, cover and allow it to steep for 5 minutes. This oatmeal comes out a little looser, but I still like it.
If you don't mind cleaning the pot and like a thicker oatmeal, just follow the directions for cooking the oatmeal, and it will be thicker and pasty like regular oatmeal.
This recipe makes oatmeal for one or you can double the oatmeal and boiling water if you are making it for two, and adjust the other ingredients.
Make them to taste. Perhaps 6 walnuts , chopped for two people..
1/4 cup of uncooked oatmeal ( I use certified gluten free oats)
1/2 cup water ( or substitute vanilla flavored unsweetened almond milk)
1/4 tsp fresh ginger , grated
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1/2 "Delicious" apple, grated
3 walnuts, chopped
1 Tablespoon chia seeds
** for overnight oatmeal you can add 1/4 cup greek yogurt or coconut yogurt for vegans
Overnight method: This is my favorite way of making oatmeal. You do not cook the oatmeal. You simply assemble and mix all of the ingredients in a cup or wide mouth small mason jar. Place in the refrigerator overnight. The oats will thicken, the flavors will mingle and the taste will be delicious. Please note that Overnight oatmeal is eaten cold. I love eating it this way in the summer months. I substitute almond milk for the water when I use this method. It tastes like a delicious cold parfait in the morning. I've made overnight oatmeal other ways with different fruit as well.
Bring water to a boil in a saucepan .
Add oatmeal and stir until it becomes pasty . Shut off heat and add remainder of ingredients. Stir and eat..
Here is another No cook fast method:
Put all ingredients ( except water) in a mug. Add the boiling water, and let sit covered for 5-10 minutes . Stir and eat- ( this method makes a looser oatmeal)
Blackberry Parfait Oatmeal Recipe ( overnight version)
|Gather the Ingredients for the oatmeal|
|Combine the ingredients with boiling water . The oatmeal will be looser oatmeal.|
Since I'm the only one eating oatmeal on a weekday mornings, I make it for one.
This recipe is well balanced and provides lots of nutrition with oats, fruit, nuts, and spices!
Add some coconut oil or butter if you like.
This post may be shared some of the following
Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health
Grain Brain- Dr. Perlmutter - How to achieve optimal brain health
I love your comments, so please leave one. It introduces me to your blog, and I love to stay connected . I will visit and follow you on Twitter and G+ etc.
If you are new here and like what you see on my blog, you can follow me by Email and receive a notice each time a post a new real food recipe or article ( one or two a week)
Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.