Sunday, October 12, 2014

Mushroom Bisque




When the weather starts to chill, I start thinking about homemade soup. This simple recipe couldn't be easier; I made it in 20 minutes start to finish. I pride myself on preparing tasty "quickie soups"  that I can complete and eat within the half hour. This gluten free favorite was light, delicious and soothing.  It was perfect for a calorie conscious, yet satisfying lunch!

It's healthy too. Mushrooms contain valuable nutrients. They can be important contributors to boosting immunity which is needed to ward off disease. They are good sources of B vitamins which are important for the nervous system, and the very important mineral Selenium which is an antioxidant that protects cells from damage.  Mushrooms are also low in calories, low in fat, and naturally gluten free. It makes sense to add mushrooms to our menus.

There are also health giving fresh herbs in this soup too.
gluten free mushroom soup
I still have fresh herbs growing in containers on my deck that are very prolific right now. In addition, I'm still receiving herbs from my CSA- so it seems perfectly natural that I would use fresh herbs in this bisque. Feel free to use dried herbs or even change the herbs if you prefer ( try fresh parsley, dried sage, chives )

What is the difference between soup vs bisque? Bisques are much creamier and smoother than most soups. Originally of French origin, bisques usually were made with some kind of seafood and cognac. Over the years, especially now with the need for allergy conscious foods, no one adheres to the strict interpretation; however, cream continues to be expected. In a vegan version, you can add coconut cream or coconut milk. My mushroom bisque contains no seafood or cognac, but it's still richer and creamier than most ordinary soups. That's why I called it a bisque!

This recipe meets gluten free, vegetarian, or vegan standards. ( It is also nut free and egg free)

Author: Judee Algazi
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time and blender time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients: 
 8 ounces of white or portobello medium mushrooms, cleaned and cut in quaters
1/2 cup of chopped onion
3 Tablespoons of fresh dill
2 Tablespoons of fresh sage
2 Tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
1 Tablespoon of salt free herb-blend like
Cracked pepper to taste
1/2 cup coconut milk or almond milk
4 cups vegetable broth


Directions: 
In a small bowl, toss the mushrooms, onion, dill, sage, pepper , spices  and olive oil. Transfer to a heated skillet and sauté for about 5 minutes until mushrooms and onions are soft. Allow to cool.

When cool, add mixture to a blender and add broth and coconut milk. Whiz until well blended. Heat and enjoy.
Makes 4-5 cups or 2 large bowls.
cut up mushrooms
Cut up the mushrooms, onions, dill, sage, and spices and toss with oil. 


Saute in skillet until vegetables are soft. 
Vegan Mushroom Soup


cream of mushroom soup
Mix in cream ( or coconut milk) , vegetable broth and  then puree in the Nutribullet or blender until smooth and crea
This recipe was featured this week on :
 Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Hop AND 
Delicious Dish Tuesday



                                                                  ENJOY!

If you like this post,  please pin it on Pinterest 

My blog carnival list



including  Souper SundayGluten Free Homemaker 
Allergy Free Wednesday and Wildcrafting Wednesday
Real Food Fridays

Wan't to be added to My blog list? Let me know




If you are new to my blog and would like me to email you my recipes when I post them, please enter your email on my subscribe box in the right top column of the blog.  Don't miss a recipe - about one or two a week.  ( you can unsubscribe at any time)

Food is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to develop and discover easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you. Come Back soon.



Author: Judee Algazi
3K+

 Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. I love comments and love to be introduced to your blog. I usually visit and follow your blog on G+ , Bloglovin, and Twitter. Thanks for stopping by. To Comment: Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments

Disclaimer: I am an affiliate for Amazon and receive a very small compensation when you buy anything from Amazon by clicking on to Amazon from my blog - This helps me defray the cost of my blog expenses. Thank you for your support.

3K+
Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

39 comments:

  1. Hi, I came to check your blog from Manic Mondays Blog Hop, and I loved the post.
    Can't wait to try this recipe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aline,
      I am so glad that you stopped by and left a comment. I've become a regular on Manic Mondays Blog Hop.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh that looks good. I've never made a mushroom bisque. I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo-lynne,
      If your kids like soup, they will probably like this. It's simple and soothing

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Samantha,
      I'm so glad you stopped by. It is getting to be soup season and this easy recipe is a winner

      Delete
  4. My mama would ADORE this recipe!!!!!! I will send it her way because it's definitely getting colder where she lives and she's obsessed with the SHROOMS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she will be able to make this recipe so fast any time she gets a mushroom craving! Healthy too

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I love mushrooms too especially because they are low calorie and nutrient dense. It's a good choice

      Delete
  6. I have never thought about what a bisque is other than a soup. Thanks for the education and the delicious bisque.;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did either until I called this recipe a bisque. It just sounded so pretty that I wondered what was the difference

      Delete
  7. My husband will love this. He is a mushroom fanatic. Thank you for sharing at Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda,
      It's funny how many commenters said that their husbands will love it. Go for it and make it for him. It only takes 20 minutes from beginning to eating eat.

      Delete
  8. I love soups, too, and this one looks absolutely delicious, especially with half and half. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing but the half and half does add some comfort to the soup. I always use the organic half and half.

      Delete
  9. Hi Judee,
    I enjoy mushroom-based meals so much that I could have them in some form everyday. As a vegan, the chewy texture and subtle flavor is so satisfying. How tasty and satisfying this looks! Thank you so much for sharing this healthy and delicious Mushroom Bisque recipe with us at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This soup is not really chewy because it is pureed, but maybe that's a good idea to leave a few of the mushrooms to add back into the soup .

      Delete
  10. I love mushrooms but have never tried making a homemade mushroom soup. This sounds delicious!! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I like mushroom soup too , but never realized how easy it was to make.

      Delete
  11. My husband would be drooling right now if he saw this. I'll have to make this for him!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Delicious Dish Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only takes 20 minutes from start to finish .. so easy- make it for him.He will enjoy it

      Delete
  12. Delicious thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop . Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure. I really enjoy the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop

      Delete
  13. Mushrooms are so good for us and this soup sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned and twitted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love creamy mushrooms soups and bisque is always a treat.
    Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Mushroom Bisque looks delicious. Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miz Helen, we love a good mushroom soup and this bisque is nice and creamy

      Delete
  16. I’ll be featuring this as one of my favorite’s for this week’s DDT! Feel free to come by and grab the “Featured Favorite” button, and bring another recipe to share! :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alesha,
      I am thrilled to be featured. Thank you so much. I'm headed ovre to grab the Featured Favorite button!

      Delete
  17. Thank You for stopping by Inspire Us Tuesdays and leaving some inspiration behind. We would love for you to visit each week and leave some inspiration, find some inspiration, and borrow some of these ideas for yourself for the future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I would be glad to stop by each week. It's a great party!

      Delete
  18. oh YUM!!!!! Love this! Congrats on being featured on Deborah's link-up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for making this totally allergy free! I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I forgot to ask - do you mean coconut milk in a can or coconut milk beverage in a carton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the carton, but if you use the cans that is ok too.

      Delete
  21. Yum! Sounds delicious and filled with health. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Twitted & Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice post thank you Sara

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly