Most likely, whatever you weighed before starting a gluten free diet, you will probably maintain the same weight while eating a gluten free if you continue to eat pasta, pizza, cookies, cake, pancakes, etc.. If you were overweight before you started a gluten free diet, you will probably maintain the same weight if you don't change your eating habits
Why? A Gluten free diet is not that much different than a regular food diet except for the elimination of wheat, rye, and barely products- which are in breads, crackers, pasta, cakes, etc. However, each of those products can be made or purchased as gluten free. The products are just made using gluten free grains like rice, quinoa, corn, buckwheat, etc. The calorie content and carbohydrate content is similar in most grains..
If you shop the processed ready to eat packaged gluten free isle in the supermarket, the gluten free packaged foods are highly caloric, high in sugar and starch. Or if you do your own baking using gluten free ingredients, the recipe may be healthier, but equally caloric.
10 Gluten Free Foods that Can Keep You Fat ( If you are trying to lose weight)
- Gluten Free Baked Goods- ( cookies, cake, breads, rolls, pie ,crackers, donuts )
- Gluten Free Packaged goods ( pretzels, corn chips, Pirate Booty etc.)
- Fried foods ( french fries, potato chips, )
- Chocolate Candy ( M and M's, mints, peanut butter cups, etc.)
- Ice cream
- Diet Soda ( artificial sweeteners stimulate appetite and fool the brain to trigger hunger)
- Salad dressing ( can be very caloric and very high in fat)
- Gluten Free Pasta ( rice pasta, quinoa pasta-) - pasta is all starch
- Gluten Free Pizza - very tasty, but high in carbs and calories
To lose weight on a gluten free diet , one must follow the same guidelines as if they wanted to lose weight on a regular diet. .
- Eat real food ( food that is a close to nature as possible )
- Evaluate portion sizes- don't overeat
- Exercise daily- at least a brisk 45 minute walk or go to the gym to exercise
- Eliminate junk food- snack on real food like fruit, vegetables, hard boiled egg, yogurt
10 Gluten Free Real Food Snacks that won't pack on the pounds
- Jicama sticks ( jicama speeds up metabolism) - nice and crunchy and low calorie
- Cut up vegetables ( carrots, red pepper, celery, tomatoes, radishes, mushrooms)
- Hard boiled egg - take it with you only 60-70 calories
- Cheese stick - low fat has only about 60 calories
- Fresh Fruit- ( apple, pear, banana, orange, strawberries, blueberries )
- Handful of almonds ( 8-10) I soak mine first
- Celery and a tablespoon of raw nut butter ( almond, peanut, etc)
- spaghetti squash ( love it ) - use this to replace regular pasta
- plain yogurt and fresh cut up fruit
- Water, herbal tea, Green Smoothie
What are your favorite healthy snacks? How do you deal with weight on a gluten free diet?
May be shared on a few of the following
Like my recipes and articles? I post lots more on my social media; Follow me on Pinterest Gluten Free A-Z and Twitter .
Please leave a comment so I can be introduced to your blog . I will visit you and I usually follow on G+, Twitter, and Pinterest. I would love if you followed me as well Follow me as well : Gluten Free A-Z and Twitter .
Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.