Growing your own scallions in water on your windowsill is similar to growing your own fresh herbs but easier ; I saw this ridiculously easy idea on Pinterest, and it works!
You can grow a continuos supply of green onions right on your windowsill starting with the 99 cent bunch of scallions that you buy in the supermarket.
They don't even need soil to grow; They will grow in water in a small glass!
You know the white ends of the scallion with all the roots? ( the part you probably throw away?) After you use your the green part of the scallion, don't throw away the white ends. Those little suckers will grow a whole new scallion, and the scallion will grow quickly like in a week!
|white ends after they were in water for a week|
I saw the idea a long time ago, but it wasn't until last week that I thought I'd give it a try. Within one week, I have an entire bunch of scallions all over again. Yes, that quickly. Who knew?
Don't store scallions in your refrigerator
Even if you do not want to grow your own continuous supply of scallions, this method is also a way to just keep your scallions fresh. Store your scallion in some fresh water just like flowers! How many times to your find that the scallions you purchased last week went bad-
Have you ever done this before? Talk about frugal. You get all the scallions you want from one bunch.
How to Grow Scallions on Your Windowsill
A glass jar
1. Wash your scallions well and use as much of the green part as you like.
2. Place the white ends with all the roots in a small glass after you have cut some of all of the green part off. Cover the white ends with filtered water.
3. Place on your counter, windowsill, deck, or patio.
4. Change the water every 3 days. ( I like to keep mine on my counter so I remember to change the water)
5. It begins to grow immediately. Within a week, you will have tall green shoots that you can use for your cooking. They will just keep growing and growing!
Have you tried this before? What do you think?
I love your feedback, so please leave a comment.
Food is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to come up with easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you. Come Back soon.