Did you know that you can use chia seeds to replace eggs in a recipe?
You can make a "chia seed egg" !.
These simple egg substitutes are perfect if are allergic to eggs or if you are vegan. Chia seeds can be a healthy replacement for eggs in most baked products like muffins, cakes, and cookies.
Chia seeds add very little taste to the finished product, but they do the job of the egg and also add a powerhouse of nutrients to the recipe.
These little seeds become gel like when they are in liquid, making them a perfect base for chia pudding recipes and a perfect egg replacer in baking recipes.
Here is the formula per egg. If your recipe calls for 2 eggs, double the recipe.
According to nutritional charts, chia seeds are nutritional powerhouses.
- 7 times the Omega 3 per ounce of an ounce of salmon.
- They have more protein than any other seed
- Provide as much calcium as milk per ounce.
- Are a complete protein.
- In addition, they contain boron for healthy bones and significant amounts of B vitamins.
- The nutritional information was certainly a surprise! However, ounce per ounce we probably eat much smaller amounts of chia seeds than the other foods.
- Interested in more reasons to eat Chia seeds ?- Read my article why I eat chia seeds every day
I've tried using chia seed egg replacer in my recipes that call for up to 2 eggs. It may work, but I haven't tried a recipe that calls for like 5 or 6 eggs. It's great to remember if you ever are out of eggs!
Have you used a chia egg in your recipes?
What was your experience?
Do you grind the chia seeds first? Please leave a comment..
Author: Judee Algazi
Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.