Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Kohlrabi -The Low Carb Potato + soup recipe



Have you met (low carb) kohlrabi? Let me introduce you. 

September and October are Kohlrabi season and this unusual vegetable is well worth buying and trying. It peels like a potato, tastes a little like a potato , and has practically no carbs. ( Is it like the cauliflower substitution?). You could try mashed kohlrabi or kohlrabi fritters.

Last week I was given kohlrabi from my CSA farm. I never had one before, so I was a little intimidated. I went online and discovered that this sometimes green, sometimes purple vegetable from the cabbage family is easy to make and really delicious. 

Kohlrabi is very low in carbohydrates and calories, has no fat and just a hint of sodium. Yet, like the cabbage family vegetables, It is rich in protective antioxidants, minerals, and carotenes making it a "nutritionally powerful" fall vegetable to add to your diet! 

The flavor is interesting. When it is raw, it tastes like a mild radish that could be added to salads or grated for slaws. When it is cooked, it tastes like a mild potato flavor ( but without the carbs).

I made two recipes with my 2 kohlrabi. 

Low Carb Side -First Recipe: I sautéed a medley of fall vegetables: diced onions, carrots, garlic, and diced kohlrabi (tasted like potato). I simply sautéed until everything was tender. I topped it with shredded raw kale. Great side and quick way to use it.

Soup- Second Recipe: I made a delicious kohlrabi red lentil soup. The kohlrabi imparted a rich flavor into the soup, and the raw shredded kale wilted tenderly when added to each hot bowl of soup. The pairing of kohlrabi and red lentils was exceptional. This is the recipe that I am sharing below. 

( I'll be trying mashed kohlrabi and kohlrabi fritters in the future)

Of course it is vegan and naturally gluten free!

Author: Judee Algazi
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serves 6-8 small bowls


Ingredients: 

Olive oil spray + 1 Tablespoon of olive oil
1 medium to large kohlrabi bulb , peeled and diced
2 carrots, diced or sliced (your choice) 
1 cup of  diced onion 
1 or 2 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 cup of red lentils, picked over and washed
1 cup of chopped raw kale
2 and 1/2 cups water 
4-5 cups of vegetable broth
1- 2 tablespoon of salt free seasoning mix 
Cracked pepper to taste
Taste before adding salt

Directions: 

Spray an 8 qt soup pan with olive oil spray. Add onion, garlic, and carrots and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the olive oil and the kohlrabi. Saute for another 5 minutes on a low flame stirring frequently. 

Add the red lentils, the water and 2 cups of broth
Bring to a boil and then lower the temperature and simmer for about 15 minutes. 

Add 2 more cups of broth and continue to simmer. 

Add seasonings ( except salt)  and cook for about 15 additional minutes until the red lentils are soft and dissolved. 

Use an immersion blender to blend the soup 75 %, leaving a small amount of the chunky vegetables. If there is not enough soup add the additional cup of broth. Taste and add salt if needed. Add a small amount of uncooked chopped kale to each bowl. The kale will wilt and soften in the in the hot soup. 













jar of red lentil and kohlrabi

a peeled kohlrabi and a peeling knife

Bowl of soup

Have you ever made kohlrabi? What have you made?


Try my all time favorite: zero carb pancakes


    I will be sharing this every day on the daily blog parties on  
    My blog carnival list




I am an affiliate for Amazon and I do receive a very small compensation if you purchase on Amazon through my blog. I appreciate the support to help cover the expenses of publishing the blog.


Photo from Gluten Free A-Z BlogFood is my passion. I am gluten intolerant, busy. and strive for a healthy balanced lifestyle. It has taken me many years to come up with easy healthy recipes that meet gluten free, vegetarian and real food standards. On my blog I share my journey, my struggles, my discoveries, and my new recipes. I hope you find ideas, resources, and recipes that will be helpful to you. Come Back soon.



Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Judee,
    I had never heard of kohlrabi before but it sure sounds like a healthier alternative to potatoes. The soup has such healthy ingredients and sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays Pinned & twitted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marla,
      kohlrabi is available this time of year. Like cabbage, it comes in a green or purple variety. It's flavor is bland like a potato and you will probably like it.

      Delete
  2. I love kohlrabi and am always looking for new ways to use it, Judee. I didn't realise it had hardly any carbs though! Your soup looks delicious and so healthy too. Sharing. Thank you for being a part of the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April- I am so glad to find someone who knows about kohlrabi! Although it was a first for me- more and more people will be introduced to it through their CSA farm memberships!

      Delete
  3. Delicious soup, thanks for sharing with hearth and soul blog hop, pinning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swathi,
      You are so welcome. Hearth and Soul is one of my favorite blog hops and I am glad to share. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of this and not sure if they have it in Australia. My husband and I are starting a health challenge in October so this soup would be perfect - if I can find the main ingredient! Thanks for sharing and linking up with us at #AnythingGoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if they sell it in Australia. Truthfully, I don't see it very often, but it seems that the CSA's always plant it. If you find it, I 'm sure you will love the flavor in soup.

      Delete
  5. This looks so very yummy! I have never eaten kohlrabi. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jann,
      I'm with you. It was my first time trying kohlrabi and I loved it! Perfect to add a rich flavor to soup

      Delete
  6. Now I have a great reason to try kohlrabi! Thank you so much for sharing your healthy and delectable Kohrabi and Red Lentil Soup with us at the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how so many vegans have not tried kohlrabi. Maybe because you don't see it very often in the supermarkets. If you get to try it- I think you will find it a wonderful soup vegetable.

      Delete
  7. Looks great! Thank you for sharing at the Recipe Swap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Kathy and thanks for hosting the swap. It gives me a place to share my recipes.

      Delete
  8. Who can resist this delectable Kohlrabi Red Lentil soup? Thanks for sharing your healthy and delicious kohrabi dishes and insights with us on the Plant-based Potluck Party. I'm pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great day and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Judee for this great blog about kohlrabi. I seldom think to use it, although I like its flavor. When I see it in the market, it seems to be quite expensive ($3 or $3.50 a bunch). Do you know why? Perhaps I saw it at a time when it was out of season. In any event, I pinned it because the recipe for soup looks delicious. I will ask my local farmer the question I just asked you. If you get a chance, please check out my post at Real Food Friday too. It's TOFU MAGIC: HOW TO MAKE TASTY TOFU and is gluten free. Nancy A @ obloggernewbie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy,
      The only reason I can think of that the Kohlrabi is expensive is that it is not common and is seasonal.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly