Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Paleo Butternut Apple Cranberry Bake


This is a fabulous Paleo side for your Thanksgiving table! It's colorful, festive, and incorporates a variety of delicious fall seasonal fruits and vegetables. The sweet roasted butternut squash mixed with roasted apples and slightly tart cranberries not only makes a beautiful presentation, but are healthy to boot!




Allergy Friendly 
It's a great choice for a Thanksgiving side because it will satisfy vegans, vegetarians, and those who are gluten free, Paleo diets, nut free diets, and egg free diets. So matter who is coming to dinner, and no matter what his/her dietary preference, this recipe is a winner!

The combination of ingredients is a sweet treat, but with no added sugar. In fact, my husband thought it was as tasty as an all natural pie filling.

My CSA farm share is still active through November. I got sweet potatoes, leeks, lots of varieties of greens, garlic, onions, cauliflower, and butternut squash this week. The local farms are ripe for apple picking too. Hence the recipe because I've got lots of butternut squash and apples! I love using seasonal fruits and vegetables in recipes!

The advantage of this type of recipe is that although it is intended to be consumed hot, it also tastes good at room temperature. So, if it's on the table longer than expected, it will still be delicious!




























 Easiest and Fastest Peeler that I highly recommend

I have a really good peeler that can slip off the skin of a butternut so fast that it's a cinch to peel.
Owning the right tool really does make a difference.  I have two peelers that look almost identical.  One is the OXO Good Grips Y Peeler.and the other looks just like it- but is another brand.


I've tried both peelers and the OXO Good Grips Y Peeler wins out for ease every time!
It just seems to slide the skin right off! Believe me I wouldn't make a big deal about it if it wasn't such a difference! I always struggled with other peeler and would often give up peeling a butternut squash or just avoid it altogether.

If you really don't like to peel,- then buy the packages of pre chopped squash. I've seen them at Trader Joe's and most supermarkets. It usually is in the fresh produce isle and does not contain additives.

Author: Judee Algazi from Gluten Free A-Z Blog
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients: 
1 med/large butternut squash, peel, scoop seeds, and chop ( or buy a pre cut package)
4 medium organic apples, cored and sliced ( I didn't peel)
1/4-1/2 cup of olive oil
1 cup of organic cranberries
optional: 1/2 cup of sliced red grapes
1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
Cinnamon to taste

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Divide the oil in half. Toss the chopped butternut squash in the oil and then the apples in oil. Using two covered cookie sheets ( covered with parchment paper), place the apples on one and the butternut squash on the other. Roast the squash for 30-40 minutes; the apples for 20 minutes.
While the apples and squash are roasting, put the orange juice and cranberries into a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 3 minutes. Turn off heat. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cranberries from the juice and set aside.
Mix the roasted squash, roasted apples, and cooked cranberries in a pyrex dish. Add a tablespoon or two of the orange juice to the casserole. Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste.

Cut in bite size pieces before roasting
Sometimes I add roasted kale for some variety 
My blog carnival list
including Waste not Want not
                                                         and Plant Based Carnival 

Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

12 comments:

  1. I need to make this! Thanks for sharing on the Healthy Living Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good! I will be trying this out soon! Pinned too :) Thank you for sharing at #healthylivinglinkparty. Hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just happen to have all of the ingredients for this in the house right now and I just happen to LOVE all the ingredients too! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up to Pin Worthy Wednesday, I have pinned your post to the Pin Worthy Wednesday Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet this is really yummy. Thanks for sharing at the party! Shared Theresa @DearCreatives Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judee,
    This looks like a delicious fall bake, we will just love it! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you have a great week.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a yummy combination! My son just gave me a butternut squash the other day. Will have to try this. I have that peeler and love it as well! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the added kale option for the colour and flavour #MMBC

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy! I love that peeler! Thank you for sharing on Merry Monday! Hope to see ya next week!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judee, this looks delicious! I love the combination of flavours with the butternut squash, apples and cranberries. Thank you so much for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks delicious! We have been trying lots of new butternut squash recipes this fall. Can't wait to try this one. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really good!! Thanks so much for linking up at the #UnlimitedMonthlyLinkParty 6. Shared.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly