Friday, April 29, 2016

Fire Roasted Eggplant Tutorial: How to roast an eggplant





Grilled or roasted vegetables are the perfect gluten free side dish. I happen to love eggplant and find that fire roasting an eggplant creates a unique flavor that is absolutely delicious.
If you want to get away from the SAD ( Standard American Diet) don't reach for gluten free prepared products. Think vegetables and find a variety of healthy interesting ways to make them.

My favorite way to make eggplant is to grill the entire uncut eggplant over an open flame. Where do I get the open flame? Right on the burner of my gas stove in my kitchen!!

Char grilled Eggplant tastes tender, smoky, and delicious.  The first time I tried this method, I have to say I was hesitant. After all, I was putting the eggplant into the flame on top of my stove without a pot??? It sounded crazy, but it worked great!

I simply wrapped the eggplant in a triple layer of aluminum foil and placed it right over the flame.
( Some cooks don't even wrap it in the foil- they place the eggplant directly in the flame)
Using tongs, I turned it over once or twice and waited for 25 minutes. Removed it from the stove, unwrapped it, put it in a bowl, sliced it down the middle to let the juices run out, and then scooped out the delicious inner tender flesh! Easy!

The outer eggplant skin chars while the inside of the eggplant gets soft and  is almost melted. It's easy to scoop out and is the secret in spreads like homemade Babaganoush or Smoky Eggplant zero smart points dip!

Step By Step Tutorial

Roasted eggplant is a staple in Middle Eastern and Italian cooking.

It will take you about 30 minutes to roast your eggplant. Follow my step by step procedure:

1.  Wash and pierce your eggplant with a fork in a few places

2.  Cover your eggplant completely with three layers of aluminum foil.

3. Place the eggplant over an open flame on your stove top. Keep the temperature on low/medium.
    do not place the flame higher or the paper will burn.

4. Turn after 10 minutes.

5. Using tongs, remove the eggplant from the flame and place in a glass Pyrex.

6. Slice the eggplant and begin to scoop out the flesh into another bowl.

7.Scoop as much eggplant as possible into a glass bowl and set aside.






           
                                  This recipe is linked to these fabulous blog carnivals
I'm a Young Living Essential Oil's Distributor. If you would like to learn more about using Essential Oils, please feel free to contact me at Judee Algazi- Email:  vegyid2@yahoo.com Distributor #3329912

Visit the Young Living Website




Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

7 comments:

  1. This was soooo good!!! I loved the smoky flavor. Delicious by itself or as a dip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever you are adding eggplant to a dip or appetizer, the fire roasting to make it taste smoky really does add an interesting flavor.

      Delete
  2. Judee, I love this idea! I only have an electric stove at home, so I'll wait to do this in the campfire, maybe even on Memorial Day.

    Thanks!!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley,
      It sounds perfect for camping..what a great idea! Eggplants don't need refrigeration before you cook them- so it will be easy to carry with you.

      Delete
  3. This sounds so simple! I love baingen bharta, the Indian food made with smoked eggplant, but when I asked an Indian friend how to make it, her description of roasting the eggplant was so complicated that I knew I'd never do it. I'll have to try this when we get eggplants from our farm share this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so interested to read your method of roasting eggplant, Judee! I would never have thought of doing this but it's such a great idea! Thank you for sharing with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In going to have to save this recipe for later in the summer as my boys are growing some eggplant in the garden! Thanks for sharing on the Country Fair Blog Party this month. I do hope you will join us again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly