Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Spinach and Mushroom Stuffed Artichokes



stuffed artichokes, vegan

Stuffed artichokes (especially with spinach and mushroom)  are one of my favorites, but who has the time, the know how, or the patience to try make them?

 I do because I found a shortcut that allows me to make elegant stuffed artichokes the easy way.

Have you seen frozen artichoke bottoms in the freezer case of your supermarket? The bottoms are the largest and best part of the artichoke and are perfect for stuffing, Buying the artichoke this way eliminates the intimidating job of cleaning and cutting the prickly vegetable. (I've also seen canned artichoke bottoms).


artichoke bottoms

artichoke bottoms for stuffing

stuffed artichoke bottoms


I developed this vegetarian/vegan option as a parve side dish. It satisfied my diverse group of eaters: the meat eaters, those who are gluten free, those who are dairy free, those who are soy free,  the vegetarians, the vegans and the host. 

I adapted this recipe from my MIL's sephardic recipes. 

This spinach and mushroom stuffed artichoke recipe was perfect. It is not only made a beautiful presentation, it was easy to eat, delicious and could be served as a side dish or an appetizer.

Tip: 
I saute my vegetables for the stuffing the day before and the day of I just add the one egg or egg replacer, gluten free breadcrumbs, fill, bake them and serve.
*If you are vegan, this recipe can work well using egg replacer.

.

Ingredients: 
2 bags of frozen artichoke bottoms
2 cups of cooked fresh or frozen spinach, drained
1/2 pound of fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 cup of diced onion
1/2 cup of vegetable broth for sauté 
1 clove of garlic, diced
egg replacer equivalent to 1 egg
1/2 cup of gluten free breadcrumbs or GF matzo meal
1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon of Trader Joe's 21 Salute (salt free spice mix ) or Mrs. Dash
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Thaw the artichoke bottoms and set aside in the refrigerator.
Steam spinach and squeeze out liquid (set aside)
Saute the onion in a large skillet in the vegetable broth. Add the chopped fresh mushrooms, garlic, steamed and drained spinach, 21 Salute, salt and pepper until mushrooms are cooked, stirring frequently (add a little additional broth if necessary to prevent sticking) Set the vegetable mixture aside in the refrigerator overnight or continue with the recipe to stuff the artichoke bottoms.
Add egg replacer and 1/2 cup of seasoned gluten free breadcrumbs to the sauté and stir with a spoon until combined.
Place 1 tablespoon of filling in each cavity of the artichoke. ( makes around 12 with some leftover filling)
Bale at 350 degrees for about 35 mimutes.
Saute in lemon juice if desired before serving for a tangy taste.




9 comments:

  1. Hi Judee, where do you obtain frozen artichoke bottoms? Having a terrible time and want to try your recipe! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The artichoke bottoms can be hard to find. I found them in the ethnic section of a local supermarket. They could be found in Middle Eastern neighborhood stores either supermarket or Middle Eastern small markets. They come in cans or frozen. Do a search on google images and you will see brand names. If you can't find them, try the stuffing in mushrooms. I found a box of large size mushrooms at my market for Easter. I stuffed them last night and heated them in a skillet in some olive oil and a little butter to soften them. Good luck

      Delete
  2. I love artichokes, and am not a big fan of some jar artichokes because they are packed in a marinade I don't like. I have never seen frozen ones but havent really looked and I will be now! Though nothing will replace the fresh ones this is on my to find list now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allyson,
      These were new to me too. Maybe more stores will carry them. The bottoms come in cans too, although I prefer frozen

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to try this recipe, sure hope I can find the bottoms, glad to know where to look. Thanks so much for sharing your post with us at Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a little hard to find, but they are out there. They come in cans too.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, what a great find! I have never seen these at the stores in our area. I am going to be on the lookout for them and also check to see if I can buy them online! Oh, I'm quite excited and planning my next recipe! Thanks for sharing with us this week at the Family Joy Blog Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Melissa. They might be available in bigger city areas.

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing another delicious recipe with us at #Overthemoon. I have shared on social media. Have a great week and see you at next week’s link up! Sue from Sizzling Towards Sixty & Beyond
    http://www.sizzlingtowardssixty.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly