Saturday, June 3, 2017

Sprouted Lentil Burgers - Easy and Gluten Free






Remember my post on  how to sprout the lentils   There was a reason for it. 
This delicious vegan burger that I am sharing today is made with those healthy sprouted lentils. 

This is one of my favorite burgers. It's light, tasty, and nutritious as well as gluten free.
 I topped the burger with a slice of tomato and a few extra sprouts.



If you have leftover cooked rice or quinoa and you made your lentil sprouts, then it's a 10 minute prep and a 6 minute cook time to actually make the simple burgers. 



        I used brown lentils for sprouting : see how to sprout the lentils 

Brown lentils


The flavor and texture of this burger made from sprouted lentils is entirely different than a burger made using cooked lentils. It's much lighter and tastes nuttier. In addition, the portobello mushroom gives it a meatier flavor.


How to sprout the lentils

When sprouted lentils are combined with cooked rice or cooked quinoa, the combination of the two creates a complete protein with all the essential amino acids needed by the body.


In addition, there are lots of fresh chopped vegetables in this burger, and it's not cooked for very long.

Although,  I sauteed the burgers in a skillet, but I would imagine it might work to bake them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 350 degrees as well if you prefer.

This is a great recipe to make if you have leftover rice . I like to always have sprouts made in the refrigerator and this will use them up! 

(In a few days I'll be sharing a delicious sprout salad made with lentil sprouts, red onion, cherry tomatoes, and red peppers- just saying!!)


Author: Judee Algazi
Prep Time: 10 minutes 
Cook Time: 8 minutes 
Makes: 8 patties
Serving size 2 patties
*** sprout lentils 2 days in advance I ( use for this recipe and salads)
***You need to cook rice or quinoa in advance
Equipment needed: food processor

Ingredients: 

2 cups of sprouted lentils ( how to sprout the lentils )
1 cup of cooked rice or quinoa , cooled
1/2 cup of sliced red pepper 
1/2 cup of sliced celery 
1/4 cup of chia seed 
1/4 cup of raw sunflower seeds 
1/8 cup red onion
1 large portobello mushroom- wiped clean and sliced ** see notes
1 tsp Himalayan salt
1 tsp of Trader Joe's 21 Salute ( salt free seasoning) 
Olive oil spray

Directions:

Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of your food processor ( metal blade) and process with for 15 seconds and then on and off bursts until you form a loose paste. The sprouted lentils will emit juice and moisten the mixture.  Make into 8 patties and sautee the patties in a skillet in olive oil spray for about 4 minutes on each side. 

Some of the Ingredients in the food processor








Gluten Free Roll with the burger, cucumber,  
pickled red onion

MY NOTES: 


1. Make ahead and take for lunches

2. Eat over salads, on a gluten free bun or wrap, or as the entree for dinner.

3. Add the burger to your Mason Jar lunches

4. Add a burger to a Power Bowl 

5. They will not hold together well enough  to grill on a BBQ grill

6. Top with pickled red onion which takes 2 hours to soak in the vinegar and can be made up to 2 days in advance.-  great toppings!!

7. I make this recipe with the mushroom or without the mushroom- Both ways are good, but I think I prefer it without the mushroom 

I use a mason jar to sprout my lentil sprouts. 



I actually use mason jars for everything and try to avoid plastic storage as much as possible- read why I avoid plastic  as much as possible.

  • I store uncooked beans, pasta noodles, coconut flour, coconut sugar in Mason jars to keep them fresh longer.
  • I use Mason Jars to store make ahead salads that last for 5 days
  • I buy all sizes
  • I use them for sprouting 
  • I buy special lids for sprouting

Purchase: Ball Mason Wide Mouth Quart Jars with Lids and Bands, Set of 12


      

Disclaimer: I am an affiliate with Amazon. If you click on a link that takes you to Amazon and make a purchase, I will receive a very small compensation to help defray the costs of running a blog. Thank you so much for your support.

6 comments:

  1. Yummy. Enjoyed reading the sprout post and enjoy this one even more. What a delicous sounding combo. Visiting you from at the Healthy Happy Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I’m pinning and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nancy. I appreciate that you are pinning it and taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely trying these as they sound delicious and healty! Thanks for sharing with us at #overthemoon link party.
    Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue,
      They are healthy and very tasty and so easy to make. Hope you like the sprouted lentil burger.

      Delete
  3. Wow these look so tasty and healthy. I love sprouts and they are filled with so much nutrition. Thanks for sharing this great recipe and congratulations on being featured on HHG&N blog hop. Pinned & tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marla,
      Thank you so much for the feature. I enjoy your blog hop each week and find so many interesting recipes.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly