Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Weight Watchers Egg Drop Soup



low calorie soup with fresh herbs


I initially made this soup because I was trying to lose weight but wanted to eat healthy food. Whether you want to lose weight or just have a delicious easy soup, make this.  

This satisfying soup  literally can be made in 4 minutes and  is my new favorite "Go-To" soup for three reasons

1. It tastes absolutely delicious
2. It takes 3-4 minutes to make
3. It is only 1 Smart point on Weight Watchers and is filling.

I started Weight Watchers ( again) last week, so I'm being more conscious of quantity, calories, and carbs. ( I had gained some weight during April and May when it was cold, rainy, and dreary)
Digital scale for weighing yourself 



I was looking to see what I could make that  was only 1 Weight Watcher smart point- and this is it!

This amazing soup fills me up. has fiber, vitamins, and minerals and is a totally satisfying comfort soup ! Of course it is naturally gluten free which is just the way I like my recipes.

What you are not on a diet? You will love this soup too!!

It is my version of Chinese egg drop soup. ( I've included a vegan version too)


How did I Create This Simple Low Calorie Soup? 

Well, it was early evening and I had only one Smart point left that I was legally ( according to my Weight Watchers plan) allowed to eat- I was going to cook up some riced cauliflower as a snack, but I wanted more- so I decided to have some broth- throw in the cauliflower and then beat in an egg -this recipe which sort of just came together.

The broth is no points, the cauliflower is no points,  the 1/2 egg is one point, and the fresh green chopped herbs have no points. It tastes so rich and delicious. If you don't care about the points use regular cooked rice.

riced cauliflower
This riced cauliflower is from Trader Joe's 
My Friend Laura Loved This Soup Too!

I was enjoying this soup so much, I wanted my good friend Laura to taste it. When I told her about it, she didn't seem overly excited. So I cooked her up a bowl when she visited. With the first few tastes, Laura exclaimed,  "This soup tastes much better than the sum of it's parts." She LOVED it and I think you will too!



low calorie soup with turmeric , cauliflower and broth

This soup is so good that you don't have to be trying to lose weight to enjoy it. However, if you are a Weight Watcher or just want a delicious low calorie, low carb soup - then make this because you will love it ( unless you don't like cauliflower)


How to Make this Easy 4 Minute Soup

Ingredients: 

2 cups flavorful broth ( I use Tabatchnick's Vegetable broth)
Tabatchnick Garden Fresh Vegetable Broth, 
1 cup frozen riced cauliflower
1/2 beaten egg ( or a teaspoon of potato starch which raises the point value )
Toppings: chopped scallion, parsley, dill, or cilantro
optional: sometimes I put a pinch of turmeric for color

Directions: 

You need to start with your favorite delicious tasting vegetable broth, add 1 cup of frozen riced cauliflower ( I use Trader Joe's frozen organic riced cauliflower),  bring it to a boil.  Remove the pot from the fire and immediately beat in a half of a beaten egg.  Top with some freshly chopped parsley, cilantro, or dill. Add cracked pepper if needed.

cream colored low calorie soup with herbs


Voila- you have a cauliflower rice and egg drop soup!!  If you substitute the potato starch, I am not sure what the smart point value will be !!

Is there no end to what you can make with that low carb nutrient healthy cauliflower?

Vegan Version

Wait - if you are vegan, you can omit the beaten egg and add in a teaspoon of potato starch instead-. It will be a little different , but still delicious and vegan. Both versions are gluten free.

Pin this recipe so you can find it when you are having cravings and don't want to overindulge.. after a bowl of this soup, you will feel full and satisfied. 

Of course you could it eat as a starter for a meal, It doesn't just have to be for a snack. 
But it gives you a lot of buck for your bite- cauliflower is full of health protecting antioxidants and the egg has protein.. 

Top It With Some Fresh Green Herbs

Optional: Take advantage of the amazing health benefits of freshly topped herbs. Add chopped scallions, freshly chopped parsley, cilantro, or fresh dill to your bowl just before eating.

chopping board with diced herbs

What knife do I use for chopping? 

I have a variety of knives,  but I like to chop herbs, vegetables, and fruit with a Japanese style knife.
It's a large knife, but it is easy to control and does a great job. The right knife makes your job easier.
This type of knife is available on Amazon if you want to look at them-
Mercer Culinary Genesis 7-Inch Forged Nakiri Vegatable Knife

Blog Hops :


egg drop soup


Disclaimer: I am an affiliate for Amazon which means if you click on a link from my blog and make a purchase, I receive a small compensation which helps me defray the cost of running a blog. Thank you for your support.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Judee,
    This is a new soup for me, but it sure looks good and will try it soon! Thanks so much for sharing your post with us at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great weekend and come back to see us real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an oldie- egg drop soup- with a new twist- cauliflower rice- together it produces a filling delicious low carb soup with only 1 point plus on Weight Watchers.

      Delete
  2. I love when those toss together moments result in a favorite new recipe. This does look and sound delicious. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb,
      That is exactly what I did, just tossed some low carb ingredients together. It was so good that I decided to serve it to my grandkids ages 9 and 6.. They loved it..

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Alison. I just popped over to your blog and found some interesting snack ideas for GF and DF.. thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  4. This soup is so good!! It's very filling and perfect for me since I'm on Weight Watchers too!! Thanks for this great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. Good luck with your weight loss on Weight Watchers and enjoy this fabulous fast and easy to make soup

      Delete
  5. Yum, yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jann,
      It was my pleasure to share - thank you for providing the opportunity by hosting the carnival.

      Delete
  6. I too love it when I can invent a great dish in just a minute. OH and thanks for showing a photo of the riced cauliflower. I never know what to buy at Trader Joe's, but this that looks like a great item to have on hand -- for soups, especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      The cauliflower is in the frozen section. They sell it in a bag in the produce section, but I like it frozen because it is organic and cooks up better and tastes better. Don't know why- but the frozen is my preference. Thank for taking the time to comment

      Delete
  7. Your pictures make it look even better than it sounds!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly