Sunday, August 15, 2010

It's Too Hot To Cook! Think Wraps


Yogurt is a great food for cooling off and building the good bacteria in the stomach, thus building the immune system. Although I eat it in the winter as well, it is a perfect summer dish. This has been one of the hottest summers I can remember. Everyday for the past three weeks the temperatues have been in the high 90's. When it hit 96 again today, I decided I am not cooking. Instead, I prepared a tasty gluten free wrap made with Trader Joe's Brown Rice Wrap, Tziziki ( recipe below), sliced farm fresh Jersey tomatoes, shaved romao cheese, and fresh basil and mint. It was so good, I could have eaten two of them, but I didn't. In this hot weather, it was a easy choice for lunch or dinner with a salad.

It makes a great, tasty quick lunch or snack!

I know of two companies that sell gluten free wraps:
Food for Life ( sold frozen in Whole Foods and health food stores) and Trader Joe's ( their tortillas are found on the shelves). They both make brown rice gluten free tortillas which can hold your favorite fillings.


My wrap in progress

gluten free wrap with tomato and yogurt
This is not mayo! It is Tzatziki ( garlic, mint, and cucumber with Greek yogurt; ), farm fresh tomatoes, shaved cheese, and fresh basil and mint

Recipe for Tzatziki
1 cup or 1 small container of yogurt cheese ( 0% fat)
1 large kirby cucumber, diced small
1 clove fresh garlic, diced small ( or garlic powder )
1 TBSP olive oil
1/8 cup fresh dill, chopped (optional)
1 tsp dried mint
sea salt to taste
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate for about one hour before serving . This makes a great dip or spread for tortillas.

Ingredients for wrap:
1/2 cup homemade or store bought Tzatziki
1 large summer tomato, sliced thick
1/4 cup aged Romano cheese, shaved
4 large fresh basil leaves
1 slice of red onion (optional) 


Directions to Assemble Wrap: 
One brown rice tortilla wrap, warmed
Spread with Tzatziki
Arrange tomatoes over Tzatziki 
Sprinkle shaved Romano cheese over tomatoes
Spread fresh basil leaves over tomatoes ( not shown)
Add sliced red onion if desired.



Rolled gluten free wrap

I then rolled the tortilla and was ready to eat. Actually, the wrap could be cut in half ; it is very filling.

Remember to warm the wraps for a minute to soften before filling



Each plain wrap has 130 calories, 2 gms of fiber, and 2.5 gms fat. Ingredients: brown rice flour, filtered water, tapioca flour, safflower oil, rice bran , vegetable gum ( xanthan, cellulose) and sea salt.

In addition,
Trader Joe's also makes some spreads that could be used for wraps as well:
I like them all, but really love the eggplant garlic spread. Use any of them for a base spread for your wraps. They are fairly low in calories about 15-30 calories for a Tablespoon.


Disclaimer: The spreads are not certified gluten free, but do not have any ingredients in them that seem to contain gluten. Read the ingredients and use them at your own risk..I am not endorsing these products, nor do I receive any money from these companies. I am just sharing products I have tried and liked. Trader Joe's is great because the products are all natural

Please leave your comments! Let's get a discussion going on Wraps! What is your favorite gluten free filling?

ok ! I thought of a breakfast wrap... vegetable omelette in a wrap!

Shared on Flu Fighting Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly