Sunday, January 8, 2012

Moisturizing Salt Scrubs DIY




 
                      

My skin is normally very dry, and in the winter it can get rough and scaly. 

Last winter I bought a container of moisturized salt scrub and was amazed at how soft and beautiful it made my skin feel. However, I was also amazed at how much that  little container  cost  ($28), definitely more than I wanted to spend. 

So, I did  a search on how I could make my own ( DIY) and came up with some quick and easy formulas that worked really well. While the salt takes off dry dead skin, the rich oils absorb into the skin and moisturize.

DIY Herbal Salt Scrub
2 cups sea salt
1/2 cup almond oil ( health store)
1/2 cup macadamia nut oil or other rich oil ( health food store)
1 tsp. vitamin E ( pierce a capsule or two)
1 tb. dried, ground lavender, rosemary, mint
1-3 drops of fragranced essential oils ( I love peppermint and lavender).


Moisturizing salt scrubs  help remove dead skin, help the skin detox and rejuvenate.
Once you buy the ingredients, you can make it over and over again.

Since I discovered sea salt body scrubs, my skin has transformed! I can't believe how magical these simple treatments are and how fast they work.  The essential oils are wonderful and the aroma is so soothing and relaxing!

All you need to do is moisten your skin with warm water while standing in the shower or relaxing in a warm bath take a small amount of moisturized salt scrub and apply it to you skin and rub in a circular motion to exfoliate the dead dry cells. The sea salt also helps remove toxins.

 Your fresh new skin layer will soak up the moisturizing oils that  have been added to the salt scrub, and leave your skin soft, so smooth, and so silky that you will look forward to doing this once or twice a week.




It takes about three- four  minutes to do your arms,  legs and feet.  Leave it on for about 30 seconds to allow your body to help detoxify your largest organ- your skin . Exfoliating with aromatic salt scrubs is truly a pleasurable experience that leaves both your  mind and body feeling refreshed, relaxed and rejuvenated. (  you will never have to depend on lotion for your arms and legs again.

And if you exfoliate before shaving your legs, you will get a closer nick free shave.

A basic salt scrub recipe consists of these  ingredients

1 part oil
1 part abrasive (salt, sugar, ground oatmeal, ground almonds, coffee grounds .)
3 to 5 drops of fragranced essential aromatherapy oil

You can find fragranced essential oils in any health food store.



Choose your essential oil for variety of effects:
 
Vanilla : for a soothing effect
Orange, lime, tangerine or lemon: For an uplifting effect.
Rosemary, eucalyptus or peppermint: For clearing out the sinuses and stimulating the body
Cinnamon or clove: For improving circulation
Rose, jasmine : for a romantic floral scrub.
Geranium: For balancing your mood.
Lavender: For promoting relaxation.
 

moisturizing salt scrub

My bathroom spa


Visit the health food store for a large variety of essential oil fragrance choices;  They are very concentrated and a small bottle will last a very long time.
                                

Lemon Salt Glow

Sea salt detoxifies and exfoliates dry dull skin to allow the skin to then absorb the rich nutrients in the sweet almond oil

  • ½ cup sea salt or kosher salt ( ground finer)
  • ½ cup sweet almond oil ( purchase at health food store)
  • Three drops of essential oil fragrance ( health food store) or grate 1/4 teaspoon of organic lemon peel
Mix all ingredients in a dry container ( water will dissolve the salt) .  Store in an airtight container. If you wish to make larger batches, double the recipe and add a 1/2 teaspoon of Vitamin E ( pierce a capsule). The Vitamin E is a natural preservative.


Pin It 










Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

17 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try these. They look wonderful!
    Thanks for sharing the recipes.
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! I have the driest skin ever, maybe this would help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what luxury! They must smell amazing, and skin must glow after using them ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how using real food and essential oils is SO much cheaper than the fancy chemical-laden stuff. And so much better for you! Great recipes. Thanks for those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cannot wait to do this... on my list for this week! I posted a DIY recipe you might like...
    Blessings
    http://bit.ly/yRqK0U

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! My skin gets so dry in the winter, this looks like just the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend of mine gave me a jar of this for Christmas. I hesitated to ask her for the recipe, as it seemed to be "her thing" I am so excited to have all of these recipes now! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post, thanks for the recipe! I use olive oil as a hair/body mask once in a while during winter but hadnt thought to add anything else to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so excited to see this! HOW FUN and different....I LOVE IT! Thx for sharing, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your salt scrubs sound wonderfully indulgent as well as being an excellent skin care idea this time of year. It's lovely when you know exactly what it is in the products you are putting on your skin too. Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great. I love using essential oils in my bath. Peppermint is one of my favorites. Maybe I will have to try one of these scrubs. Thank you for sharing it at the Frugal Tuesday Tip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Judee,
    A nice home spa day that's what I need, those Salt Scrubs look so nice, I can almost smell them. Great idea! Thank you so much for sharing with our 1st Anniversary Party at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need some relaxation, thanks for the tips.....and for sharing at my Link and Greet party! Have a wonderful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing your recipe for a relieving dry skin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to make some of this for after a long 12 hour shift of work!

    Thanks for linking up to What's New Wednesdays! Just wanted to let you know I featured your recipe on today's What's New Wednesday! I hope you'll stop by and link up more amazing stuff :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly