Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mardi Gras Creole Red Beans and Rice





I don't usually make a Mardi Gras recipe , but these delicious spicy Creole red beans and rice got me in the mood!! I love making them because they can be made in the crock pot.

I teach in a private boarding school, and today the French classes are wearing masks, celebrating, making crepes, dressing up etc. Even our school dining service jumped in by decorating the dining hall with colorful masks and metallic looking plastic beaded necklaces and featured a wonderful Louisiana Creole red bean dish for lunch that of course was gluten free. It was sooo good that I took a picture of my meal and secured the recipe. It's a fast and easy meal  that can be eaten over some healthy brown rice..


Official Mardi Gras Beads from New Orleans brought back by my friends Peter and Paula


 I found out that red beans and rice are always a very a popular meal in New Orleans, and they are traditionally eaten on Mardi Gras as well. This spicy red beans and rice recipe is based on an authentic Louisiana Creole recipe . Although the original recipe included sausage, my school omitted it and made a vegetarian version because of a diverse population of students and faculty.

You can make the recipe the fast way by using cooked beans or the slow way by  using dried soaked kidney beans and cook for about 3 hours.

Personally, I like making bean dishes in the crock pot. I can start in the morning and have a hot tasty dish by noon. Ok, I love my crock pot and use it every chance I get. It makes life and clean up so easy!

In addition, this is a pretty healthy meal and very economical.

Also, if you are on Weight Watchers, this has a low Point Plus value.. Vegetables ( 0 points) and a full cup of beans ( a cup is 5 points)  and 1/2 cup brown rice (?) not sure , anyone know?
You can skip the rice, and still enjoy a hearty meal that is spicy and oh so tasty..

Ingredients:
2 cans of kidney beans or 1 pound of dried kidney beans soaked overnight.
When ready to use, rinse and set aside ( 4 cups cooked beans)
2 large onions, chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 large can diced tomatoes or 5 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp of Cajun seasoning ( or salt, pepper, hot pepper, basil and thyme to taste)

Directions for dried soaked beans method. 

Dutch Oven: Put onions, red pepper, celery, and garlic in a large Dutch oven type pan. Add tomatoes , uncooked beans, and Cajun seasoning. Stir well and add water to cover beans. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered until beans are soft about 3 hours

Crock Pot:
Put onions, red pepper, celery, and garlic in a crock pot. Add tomatoes , uncooked beans, and Cajun seasoning. Stir well and add water to cover beans. Cook on high for 3 ish hours or until beans are soft or cook on low for 6-7 hours.

Canned or pre-cooked Beans:
Dutch Oven:  Saute all vegetable then add tomatoes, cooked beans and seasoning. Add 1/2- 1 cup of water or tomato juice or vegetable broth and cook for flavors to mingle for about 1/2 hour.

Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

7 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judee,
    We just love Red Beans and Rice it is one of our favorites. Your recipe looks awesome and one that we would enjoy!
    Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, this looks delish!! I've never been to celebrate Mardi Gras in New Orleans but I'd like to some day (some of my best friends live there!). But for now I'll enjoy this recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! We love kidney beans. Following you form Ducks in a Row blog hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, yum. Thanks for sharing with Simply Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love red beans and rice and your beans and rice look especially delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, this looks fantastic - totally perfect for Mardi Gras! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly