Friday, October 19, 2012

Cranberry, Apple, and Cashew Broccoli Slaw and Dressing


 


This nutritious cranberry, apple, cashew broccoli slaw salad is easy to make, looks really pretty, and tastes sensational.


Tonight is my book club meeting and pot luck dinner. I volunteered to bring a salad, but I didn't want to just bring an ordinary salad.

As usual, I went to the market, looked at the produce and waited for inspiration.
First, I selected some broccoli slaw which is made by Dole and comes in a clear bag.
It's just shredded broccoli stalks and carrots. Nothing else. ( tastes great)



Next,  I bought organic red Delicious and Granny Smith apples, 1 large navel orange, some organic cranberries ( only available in the season) ,
and some green organic romaine lettuce.

 I started to imagine a kind of sweet and tangy salad.

When I got home, I assembled the salad, added some organic raw cashews, organic raisins,  and started to experiment with a dressing.

I made a very light dressing, but you could use any dressing  or add some avocado to mine in the blender.

Ok , I confess that the raw cranberries in the salad are really tart, but I only used a handful for color in the salad,  and I like the  tartness .. Also, the tartness is balanced by the sweet raisins and the raw honey in the dressing..

This could make a great salad for Thanksgiving, especially if you are looking for a raw dish or are vegan.

Salad Ingredients: 
1 bag of broccoli slaw ( other brands make it too)
2 cups of organic romaine lettuce, cut up for salad
1 organic granny smith apple, cut into bite size chunks
1 organic red delicious apple, cut into bite size chunks
1/4 cup of organic cranberries, chopped ( adds beautiful color)
1/2 cup of organic raisins
1/2 cup raw organic cashews ( I get mine in Trader Joe's) or use walnuts or cashews
Optional: 4 sprigs of fresh mint, washed and chopped




broccoli slaw





Directions:
Assemble all ingredients and toss in a large salad bowl

Dressing Ingredients
2 Tablespoons of raw organic honey ( or maple syrup grade B)
Juice and the fruit of one large navel orange
1/4 cup of organic cranberries
2 slices of fresh ginger ( a must)
1 TBsp lemon juice
1/4 cup of water


Making this dressing was really easy in my new Nutribullet
I made this dressing in seconds in my new  Nutribullet

You've probably seen the commercials for the new Nutribullet , a high powered blender that blends even flax seeds, nuts, etc. I have a Vitamix, so I really hesitated to buy another product. I love the Vitamix, but it is very cumbersome, and when I make something that is not liquid, I have a hard time scooping it all out from the blades on the bottom and often loose some of my recipe..

After watching the commercials for the Nutribullet, I was hooked. I love the idea that I mix everything and then remove the blades and everything stays in the jar. I'm enjoying my new machine because it is small and I keep it on the counter or it actually fits into my deeper kitchen drawers. Also, the clean up is a cinch because I'm basically cleaning only the blades and everything else stays in the jar.


Do you need both? No!
Would you use both? Probably
Which would I buy if I could have only one?

You can buy the  Nutribullet for under $100- my Vitamix was over $400.. I do like it, don't get me wrong. I can do just about everything in my bullet as I can do in the Vitamix  except for making soup ( which I don't like making in plastic anyway).

Both machines use plastic containers; the bullet is BPA free.

Do you have one? Leave a message about your thoughts about it.

Continue with instructions:

Mix all dressing ingredients in any blender until smooth . Allow to sit in refrigerator for about 2 hours for flavors to mingle well before serving. The dressing will have a beautiful pink hue and hint of ginger taste.

Variation for a thicker dressing. add 1/2 avocado, or 1/4 cup of raw cashews ( wont be good with toasted cashews) or both and a little more ginger.


May be shared on a few of the following blog carnivals




Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.


9 comments:

  1. This looks like a great recipe. I really like broccoli slaw.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the raw cranberries added some zing even if they are a bit tart. Sounds like a very healthy and delicious salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding new salad dressings -- this one perfectly captures autumn with it's flavors and colors! Thanks for sharing at this week's Sugar Free Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a colorful and healthy looking salad--I like the tartness of the cranberries. Thanks for sharing it at Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks quite delish. I will have to give it a try. I love Broccoli Slaw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello~ I pinned the Cranberry, apple, cashew slaw recipe and plan to make it for Thanksgiving this year!
    Stopping by from Tuesday Confessionals Link Party
    TracyAnn www.crochethappy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious, Judee! Thanks for sharing it at Raw Foods Thursdays! I am in love with my Vitamix, but sometimes I do wish for something small that I can whip out for dressings or salsa. I'll have to look in to the Nutribullet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fabulous - I think very pretty too1 Please come and link to my "Open House"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazingly delicious!
    I would love to have you share this or any other of your recipes at Wednesday Extravaganza - my Foodie Link Party! Here is the link:
    http://www.hungrylittlegirl.com/1/post/2012/10/wednesday-extravaganza.html

    Can't wait to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly