Saturday, October 13, 2012

Black Bean & Butternut Squash Dinner





Black Beans, butternut squash, and broccoli are healthy choices that can be made quickly. Sometimes you are in a hurry and just need to make something simple, yet healthy for dinner. I baked a butternut squash, opened a can of organic black beans, steamed some broccoli, opened a jar of salsa and called it a day. 

It looked pretty, was satisfying and tasted good, and was healthy. 

End of story!

 Pin It

How to roast Butternut Easily

1. Split a butternut squash down the center

2. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds

3. Place the squash face down on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper

4. Pierce the light flesh colored squash ( outside of squash) with a fork 
5. Baoe squash in 350 degree oven until squash is tender

6. When done, slice squash and then cut in chunks to place on top of the black beans

7.Steam some broccoli 

8. Use your own cooked black beans or open a can of black beans and wash and drain

9. Heat beans until hot. Place heated beans on a dinner plate.

10. Add cooked squash to beans on the plate ( sprinkle with cumin  )

11. Place steamed broccoli on the plate 

12. Put a 1/2 cup of salsa in a small bowl and place on the plate

Assemble and serve..


What kind of simple meals do you just assemble that are healthy? What do you make when 
you want something that is fast.??

Linked to the following blog carnivals
Pin It Please leave a comment so I know you stopped by. Scroll down to the end of the post and click on comments.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a light and delicious meal. As a Brazilian I never think of black beans other than in "feijoada". Gotta start thinking about variations :)
    Thanks for the tips on roasting squash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On nights when it is just my son and I we love meatless meals such as this. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another winning meatless meal for the family. Broccoli and butternut squash are favorites and the beans are slightly behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, maybe I'll try that for my next butternut squash challenge. I love all three of those veges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Easy, beautiful, and healthy! Thank you for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I really like this combination! Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to have to try this. I baked an acorn squash just last week. I haven't tried a butternut yet. Thanks so much for sharing and linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. I love knowing who is stopping by to read my posts! Have a great day.

Printfriendly